Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Mixing > Artist Series

Old 01-09-2019, 06:36 AM

Default Does Artist Series follow EVERY move in Pro Tools?

As I am having so many problems getting the hardware to follow Nuendo, I wanted to know if all of these issues would be eliminated if I were running PT.

Specifically:
1) If I run "Show Selected Tracks Only," will the MC Control and Mix follow and only show those tracks?
2) Will the Surround Panner show me a SINGLE CIRCLE sound source (unlike Nuendo, which currently shows 2)?
3) Can VCA Spills be directed left or right?
4) Can I LOCK channels temporarily to the left or right on the DAW and have the hardware follow?
5) Will ALL of the PT Control App features work with the hardware?

Bottom line, will Artist Series hardware act as the physical manifestation of Pro Tools at least, since it clearly won't do that any longer with other DAWs (Cubase, Nuendo, Logic, etc.)?

Last edited by KeyplayerG; 01-30-2019 at 05:34 AM.
Old 01-10-2019, 11:14 PM

Default Re: Does Artist Series follow EVERY move in Pro Tools?

Puremix.net has some artist mix videos that helped me. Might not have all the answers but I think they address a couple you listed...

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk
Old 01-11-2019, 12:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jphaudio View Post
Puremix.net has some artist mix videos that helped me. Might not have all the answers but I think they address a couple you listed...

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk
Not really finding anything there. I tried "Artist Series Hardware" and got nothing. I tried Pro Tools with Artist Series Hardware" and got a ton of stuff on PT alone and 1 thing on PT Control.

If you guys are using PT as our primary DAW with your Artist Series Hardware, then my question should be pretty simple to answer directly.

Does the controller follow EVERY move of PT or does it act like the same as it does with other DAWs, in that it will only follow in "straight mixer mode." You can scroll up and down to your hearts content. But don't make a scene with a track on channel 5 and another on channel 60 and expect to see them side by side, like they'll appear in the DAW. If I tried that in PT would the hardware show me track 5 right next to track 60, same as it appeared on the PT screen? I can't do that now in Nuendo, unless I make a layout that's linked to the selected channel screen view. That's just one example, but it's the easiest to describe for my purposes.

Will anybody answer this for me?
Old 01-11-2019, 12:45 PM

As far as my experience goes, and I use an MC Control with an Artist Mix what I see on the screen with pro tools is mirrored on mu control surfaces. I have it set to follow track numbers so I would not see track 60 next to track 27 for example. If I wanted that to happen, all I'd do is create a layout with the track selections I wanted to see in the order I wanted to see them ... HTH
Old 01-11-2019, 04:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by simonjewel View Post
As far as my experience goes, and I use an MC Control with an Artist Mix what I see on the screen with pro tools is mirrored on mu control surfaces. I have it set to follow track numbers so I would not see track 60 next to track 27 for example. If I wanted that to happen, all I'd do is create a layout with the track selections I wanted to see in the order I wanted to see them ... HTH
Yeah, that's the same for Nuendo. I'd have to make a layout (which I have) to have those tracks placed close together. On the high priced controllers, the hardware and DAW work together on every setup in both directions. So, if I wanted to only see the kick drum(ch. 26) and bass (ch. 45) to tighten up the timing, they would appear together on the Nuendo Project window and mixer.
On Nuage, id Controller, Tango and S5MC/S6, they would show up right next to each other on the control surface.

Without making the layout for that scene and linking it to the visual agent in Nuendo, those tracks would be 20 faders apart on the Artist Control. In most other cases where the gap is even larger, you'd have to bank up and down to access those channels, in which case, you'd just work with the mouse/trackball.

I was under the impression that if you were using Artist Series Controllers with Pro Tools, the hardware might respond the way the big ticket controllers do with said DAWs. Thanks for clearing that up for me.
Old 01-11-2019, 05:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KeyplayerG View Post
On Nuage, id Controller, Tango and S5MC/S6, they would show up right next to each other on the control surface.
??
You build a layout just you can do that from the control surface. For the Artist series you have to do it via the computer for now but it's the same thing. Hopefully you'll be able to build it from the controller itself some day but it's the same point in the end.

And Pro Tools does NOT change to match the S5MC/S6 controller layout. That isn't true.
Didn't happen with ICONs either (the largest selling large-format control surfaces)