Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)

Old 02-10-2001, 07:36 AM

Default Is OS 9.1 more stable for music apps?

Hello,

My DP G4 (OS 9.0.4; 256 MB, internal 40 GB stock drive) crashes after being on for 1/2-1 hour every time it is on---no matter what app I'm running. It also locks up every time I try to download software (Napster downloads work about 50% of the time). I'm pretty sure it's an extension conflict.

I have some questions for anyone who can answer. The apps on my Mac are: Digi001/PT LE 5.0.1, Reason 1.0, Appleworks 6, Internet Explorer Mac, and Napster (as well as the stuff that came with OS--QT, Sherlock, Imovie).

1. Is Mac OS 9.1 more stable and crash proof for music apps than 9.0.4?

2. Would Conflict Catcher enable me to keep conflicting apps on my Mac and keep it stable?

3. Will OMS let me define two MIDI interfaces and, if so, do I need to turn on the Digi001 MIDI to use my MIDIman MIDIsport 1x1?

I may post with some more questions. I've gotten more useful help here than from any tech support.

By the way, Reason 1.0 really is the s**t. I was able to start working the first time I opened it without even cracking the manual. The drum kits are the most diverse I'm seen in any included soundset on any hardware or software.

Thanks a lot,

dave23
Old 02-10-2001, 09:56 AM

Default Re: Is OS 9.1 more stable for music apps?

dave23,

Can you give a little more details on 'Reason' ? A Plug-in/ Application?

Now to field a few...

Appleworks 6 has an update 'for compatibility' issues w/ 9.04 or higher. You need to check versions and/or update...

IE 5.5 IMO may be causing problems. I am not %100 on this, but keep in mind, this is OS-X ready. I have seen this on two occassions. You will notice lots of extraneous extensions...

Can you try 5.0 or, better yet, Netscape 4.7 ?

Apple had Netscape 6 working up at MacWorld on 9.1 But my beta, simply would not instantiate on system 8.6...

9.1- I would stay clear for awhile. You need PTs 5.1 update first...then ask yourself what else may not work???

Conflict Catcher IMO? TTP-3 has a utility which also does this.

Watch out for mis-information. It is not %100

I prefer using extensions sets- 'minimum extension' setup gives me everything I need. Including internet access (not Microsoft). I turn those off (MS internet access).

No way can I deal without 'energysaver' which works perfectly on OS 8.6 & PTs 5...

OMS- yeah sure. Add another interface.

Simply install your USB midisport driver, turn off all other USB drivers (not USB manager or your third party mouse???) {no USB hubs either} and add to your existing OMS set- your MidiSport interface. Save.

happy trails

Old 02-10-2001, 10:56 AM

Netscape downloads always work. Unless your ISP disconnects you. You may sometimes experience a system freeze.

MS uses MRJ to emulate Java. IE downloads- if'y IMO.

Occassionally, a Java error (server side) causes my system to crash. It is always the same site, same spot. Write to the webmaster, and stay clear...

So you're not alone. But it can get better.

Old 02-10-2001, 12:46 PM

here is just a sugestion im n ot sure if it will help. Did you partion that 40 gig drive. If not you should partion it ointo 9gig parts at a maximum. When i first got my g4 i had alot of crashes but since partioning they have3 dramaticly decreased good luck. jay
Old 02-11-2001, 12:25 AM

Appleworks 6 was buggy for me - even with updates and Apple trying in vain to help me. Made hard drive noises all the time like it was never able to complete the loading up process. Went back to 5.

When I had problems a while back with IE5 it was easier to re-install it than troubleshoot.

I have so much junk on my machine but rarely gives me any problems. Do you have separate sets of extensions for audio and internet at least?

If you need conflict catcher and haven't bought it already just download the demo from www.casadyg.com . It's a fully functioning demo and will last long enough to solve the problem. Then you buy it next time you need it. Pretty easy to use. You have so little on your machine it seems you should be able to solve it with separate sets of extensions if you're not doing that already.

From what I've heard it seems 9.0.4 is more stable than 9.1 so far.

Good Luck

Bob
Old 02-11-2001, 08:03 AM

So what advantage do you get with OS 9.1 over OS 9.0.4 ?

Nick
Old 02-12-2001, 01:24 AM

howdy all.

Gee Dave it sounds like you are having quite a rough time with your setup! ..

I would do a clean os install, naturally you must backup all working files for the apps you use FIRST. and.. I would go for 9.1 .. it is noticably faster, and seems more stable.... also, I tried that conflict catcher thing and it sucked... rather go with the Shag's idea... create a base set + the extensions you need for each application.

my 2c.... out.

Shaggy ... for Reason point your flea-bitten browser here...
http://download.cnet.com/downloads/0...st-7-2.3876054

or this is the developers site...

www.propellerheads.se

Reason is truely the **** for dance music... it is a self contained virtual studio... programs like this will make all the hardware fanatics shake in their boots

Dave.. you don't need that other midi interface for reason, you can still use the 001 midi port for sending midi data to Reason. It's only if you are using the ASIO driver for the 001 with Reason, that wierd stuff starts to happen...

Old 02-12-2001, 01:49 AM

I find 9.1 overall more stable.
It seems faster too.
Old 02-16-2001, 06:16 PM

1. 9.0.4 crashed at least once an hour for me. 9.1 has never crashed in the 3 weeks I've had it.

2. I once owned Conflict Catcher back when Extension Manager really sucked (it only sucks a little now) but I haven't used it in years since EM has improved. There's very little that CC can do that EM can't, and what you specify does not need CC. IMHO it's over-rated.

3. Sorry, I use Logic and they claim their audio engine is much more efficient than OMS, so I go out of my way to avoid it. The little experience I have with it left me a little under-whelmed.