How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 2019

Old 05-23-2019, 04:55 PM

Default Re: 2019.5 Ultimate on a Mac Pro 5,1

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrguitarguy View Post
Aside from the izotope insight plugin, have you noticed any performance increases since you got the Radeon card? I also have a 5,1 Mac that is completely maxed out, but the graphics still cause cpu spikes. I have found hiding windows (or even just hiding the meters by deal=electing them in the view options for the mix window) helps. I’m considering upgrading my graphics card as well. I am on dual monitors (one is a Raven Mti the other a lcd tv used as a monitor) and I would like to remedy these issues. I have a 5870 graphics card now.

I have found turning off hyper threading helped in the past with previous version on Sierra, but now that 2019.5 is out I am testing it on High Sierra due to the reports of potential improvements. So far so good, but I have only had the new system up and running today.

Well it was a very simple plug and play and everything came up FAST when I booted, (no boot screen of course, but with an SSD on a PCIE, barely blink and the screen is on). On a few occasions nothing came up and had to hold the power button to restart and another occasion when my screen went to sleep (set to 45 or something) it would NOT come up clicking on the keyboard or mouse so had to restart.

As far as any noticeable difference with it, not anything that stands out. However I did open a ticket with Avid and they remotely took control of my mac (that tasted a few hours), trouble shooting tons of options, downloaded the app to run only 12 cores from my 24, optimized (which I was already %95 there from my experience, the only thing recommended that I did Not do was to turn off the firewall). Took screen shots, logs, even the .ptx of the session. It seems there is some technical issue with "Insight 2". So they are further looking into it

Really need Insight 2 for it's specs (especially Netflix settings) and that it's slimmer and wider so I can have it on the bottom of the screen. Running Insight 1 along with WLM the numbers are off by almost 2db. Plus I need to see all 6 channel levels.
-HD Omni
-BM Intensity Pro

-Waves Mercury+SSL4000 Collection+Abbey Roads
-iZotope RX10 Advanced
-iZotope Post Production Suite 6
-iZotope Music Production Suite 5
-HALO UP/DOWN MIX
-ANYMIX
-Delonghi Perfecta ESAM 5600.S
Old 05-24-2019, 01:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SDDP View Post
Well it was a very simple plug and play and everything came up FAST when I booted, (no boot screen of course, but with an SSD on a PCIE, barely blink and the screen is on). On a few occasions nothing came up and had to hold the power button to restart and another occasion when my screen went to sleep (set to 45 or something) it would NOT come up clicking on the keyboard or mouse so had to restart.

As far as any noticeable difference with it, not anything that stands out. However I did open a ticket with Avid and they remotely took control of my mac (that tasted a few hours), trouble shooting tons of options, downloaded the app to run only 12 cores from my 24, optimized (which I was already %95 there from my experience, the only thing recommended that I did Not do was to turn off the firewall). Took screen shots, logs, even the .ptx of the session. It seems there is some technical issue with "Insight 2". So they are further looking into it

Really need Insight 2 for it's specs (especially Netflix settings) and that it's slimmer and wider so I can have it on the bottom of the screen. Running Insight 1 along with WLM the numbers are off by almost 2db. Plus I need to see all 6 channel levels.
Insight 1 is also 6 channels. What is your buffer size? On 5.1 sessions, I must switch buffer to at least 256, but 512 is more stable. What kind of video codec are you using? Are all your monitor resolutions the same? Did you check your plug ins if they are up to date?
Old 05-24-2019, 12:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nedd View Post
Insight 1 is also 6 channels. What is your buffer size? On 5.1 sessions, I must switch buffer to at least 256, but 512 is more stable. What kind of video codec are you using? Are all your monitor resolutions the same? Did you check your plug ins if they are up to date?

Thanks for the info. I set my buffer to max 1024, HDNX which I've never had issues with
I know about the 6 channels as I've been using it b4 2 came out. It doesn't have the specs of the newer version and minimizing it as much as possible with 6 channels still takes up a huge amount of screen space as it can't be sized down to how insight 2.

I did go through the entire rigmarole of: Deleting Pro Tools Databases and Preferences
http://avid.force.com/pkb/articles/t...nd_Preferences

- Close [Pro Tools].
- Hold 'alt' and click on [Go] (Menu Bar)
- Click on [Library]
- Go to [Preferences]
- Go to [Avid]
- Delete the [Pro Tools] folder

- Open Finder
- Go to [Macintosh HD] / your main hard drive
- Go to [Users]
- Go to [Shared]
- Delete the [Pro Tools] folder
Restart the Computer and Launch Pro Tools

When the rep had remote access for a few hours, deleted ALL of protools, reinstalled, ran optimizations, updated isotope, etc. Still to no avail.

Running dual 1440 monitors set to the same. Had this issue on the stock 5770 and installed a RX 580 8gb last week with same issue.
-HD Omni
-BM Intensity Pro

-Waves Mercury+SSL4000 Collection+Abbey Roads
-iZotope RX10 Advanced
-iZotope Post Production Suite 6
-iZotope Music Production Suite 5
-HALO UP/DOWN MIX
-ANYMIX
-Delonghi Perfecta ESAM 5600.S
Old 05-28-2019, 03:15 AM

I’m getting a 9093 error about once a day when I start working then it goes away.

Can’t pin point why or how, the CPU meter does nothing to indicate an error.

James Welch
Recording Engineer | Producer
Masterlink Productions

Mac Pro 5,1 (Mid 2010) | 3.46GHz Six-Core Intel Xeon | 32GB Ram | AMD Radeon R9 280X 3072 MB | 256GB Samsung SM951 SSD Blade (PCIe) System Drive | 1TB WDC Sample Drive | 4TB RAID 0 Seagate Audio Drive | UAD-2 Quad PCIe
Mojave 10.14.5 | Pro Tools Ultimate 2019.5 | HDX | Avid Omni | Avid 16x16 HD I/O x2 | Digidesign 192 | Digidesign C24

Mac Mini 8,1 (2018) | 3.2 GHz 6-Core Intel i7 | 64GB Ram | Apple 27" LED Cinema | 2TB System Drive | LaCie Rugged USB-C 2TB SSD NVMe Audio Drive | UAD-2 Quad Satellite (Firewire)

macOS Catalina 10.15.7 | Pro Tools Ultimate 2021.7 | Avid HDX TB3 Chassis | HDX | Avid Omni | Avid 16x16 HD I/O x2 | Digidesign 192 | Digidesign C24
Old 05-28-2019, 03:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SDDP View Post
May I ask how long your Mac takes to boot up? I recently put in a new Samsung NVMe PCIe drive (slot 2) and it takes an age to boot up. Much slower than the AHCI drive I had in previously.

Mac Mini 8,1 (2018) | 3.2 GHz 6-Core Intel i7 | 64GB Ram | Apple 27" LED Cinema | 2TB System Drive | LaCie Rugged USB-C 2TB SSD NVMe Audio Drive | UAD-2 Quad Satellite (Firewire)

macOS Catalina 10.15.7 | Pro Tools Ultimate 2021.7 | Avid HDX TB3 Chassis | HDX | Avid Omni | Avid 16x16 HD I/O x2 | Digidesign 192 | Digidesign C24