Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 12

Old 03-23-2019, 02:13 PM

Default PT 12 editing issues - cursor won't move, edit window jumps.

I have been having 2 recurring problems and I am not sure if it is a bug or some new feature I need to set preferences on:

I have been using Protools professionally since 2001 and I have never encountered this. I upgraded to PT 12 Ultimate last fall. Using a Mac tower w 10.11.6.

1) when I am editing dialog and I click on the time line the cursor does not jump to that new position. Instead it stays in it's original position until I click a second time. It will move after two clicks. Of course if I click twice too quickly it highlights the entire track. This is infuriating particularly because it does not happen every time. Only about 70% of the time? So lets say usually but not always. Sometimes the blue position indicator at the top jumps to where I want to start, but then literally jumps back to it's original position. I can't imagine this is a preference.

2) the second issue has to do with the the edit window itself. Let's say I am delicately adjusting the clip gain on a clip on Trk 12 and there are tracks at the bottom out of view, SOMETIMES the entire screen moves down slightly so when I am clicked down on clip gain bar the screen jumps I am suddenly at +12 gain and my clip SCREAMS at me.

Not sure if I am explaining this clearly but it is driving me CRAZY.

Has anyone experienced this phenomenon or am I just going out of my mind?
Old 03-24-2019, 04:20 AM

Default Re: PT 12 editing issues - cursor won't move, edit window jumps.

How about some up to date system specs? Your profile info is way old.

While waiting for that you're running El Crapitan which is the absolute worst OSX Apple has ever put out. You'd do better to move to something more up to date like Sierra/High Sierra (don't know if Mojave is qualified yet).

There's no preference to cure what you're seeing. You may well be seeing a system problem and NOT a PT issue.

QAPLA!
Old 03-24-2019, 06:27 AM

Could it be a mouse/keyboard input problem? I've seen similar strange behaviour with faulty input devices, e.g a keyboard with luiquid spill acting up. Did you try disconnecting those and trying a different mouse f.ex?
Old 03-24-2019, 12:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben Jenssen View Post
Could it be a mouse/keyboard input problem? I've seen similar strange behaviour with faulty input devices, e.g a keyboard with luiquid spill acting up. Did you try disconnecting those and trying a different mouse f.ex?
If it's a laser mouse it could be the mouse pad it's on and if it's an old-fashioned mouse with a ball then try cleaning the rollers and ball.

QAPLA!
Old 04-21-2020, 09:50 AM

Default Re: PT 12 editing issues - edit window jumps.

The jumping edit window (at least in 2020.3) can be fixed in
Preferences>Mixing>Controllers/ uncheck "Edit Window Follows Bank Selection" and (possibly) "Mix Window follows Bank Selection."
Old 02-26-2021, 07:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tad Wadhams View Post
I have been having 2 recurring problems and I am not sure if it is a bug or some new feature I need to set preferences on:

I have been using Protools professionally since 2001 and I have never encountered this. I upgraded to PT 12 Ultimate last fall. Using a Mac tower w 10.11.6.

1) when I am editing dialog and I click on the time line the cursor does not jump to that new position. Instead it stays in it's original position until I click a second time. It will move after two clicks. Of course if I click twice too quickly it highlights the entire track. This is infuriating particularly because it does not happen every time. Only about 70% of the time? So lets say usually but not always. Sometimes the blue position indicator at the top jumps to where I want to start, but then literally jumps back to it's original position. I can't imagine this is a preference.

2) the second issue has to do with the the edit window itself. Let's say I am delicately adjusting the clip gain on a clip on Trk 12 and there are tracks at the bottom out of view, SOMETIMES the entire screen moves down slightly so when I am clicked down on clip gain bar the screen jumps I am suddenly at +12 gain and my clip SCREAMS at me.

Not sure if I am explaining this clearly but it is driving me CRAZY.

Has anyone experienced this phenomenon or am I just going out of my mind?
Are you still having this issue? It seems oddly like my issue. Not long ago - and I believe for no reason - my cursor seems to jump. It seems more related to left clicking to highlight a section that I'll delete. Dead space between voice tracks. It's very hard to type about...hard to explain...but it doesn't hold the area I've highlighted all the time...it jumps, deselects areas, sometimes highlights the whole region.....I can't understand it and it's driving me nuts. Even more frustrating is it's so hard to ask for help because I barely know how to describe it. Wonder if you found a resolution and/what happened?
Old 02-26-2021, 08:00 PM

By the way, I'm running 10.14.6 and PT 2020.11.0 with a Digi 002 on 2018 Mac Mini 3.2Ghz i7 with 32GB of 2667 RAM. Really fast for my needs. Everything's worked essentially perfectly for years and I don't believe I had just updated to 2020.11.0 when this issue started, but it's a possibility.