Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Licensing & Accounts

Old 04-07-2021, 10:13 AM

Default Pro Tools hardware requirements.

Apologizing in advance for lack of tech knowledge and for questions to which the answers might seem obvious. I’m looking to purchase Pro Tools and a computer as a grad gift for my son. My initial questions:

1) Referencing the Avid Knowledge Base article-Pro Tools System Requirements and Compatibility. Under the heading Computer Optimization, it is stated “. . . we can only provide support for qualified systems.” Following this is a series of “qualified configuration” brand and model specific desktops and Zbook. My question is, if I have a laptop built to include that which is listed under the Minimum System Requirements heading, I will not be eligible for support if the software is installed in such system? In other words, to be eligible to receive support from Avid, must the Pro Tools software be installed in one of the system configurations depicted in the article?

2) Under Windows, under the same heading, Intel Core I9 is required. Is there a specific model of I9? Is a more recent processor-I10, etc., also acceptable?

3) Under Additional Requirements-Video Requirements and Avid Shared Storage: How are these obtained and installed?

4) Does HDX refer to standalone Pro Tools? Can I purchase a standalone system and if so does it make more or less sense, economically or others, to just purchase the software and install on your own system?

5) Would I be correct in assuming that, say, the Geek Squad at a Best Buy, if handed this article, would be able to put together a system based on all its operational requirements? Or must some of the hardware or software be purchased elsewhere?

I understand these questions are sort of hodgepodge, but I’m trying to understand some of the most basic fundamentals before I can direct my learning. My musician son would understand most of this, but, as I said, Pro Tools and a system is a gift for his college graduation. Any insight on any of the above will be greatly appreciated, of course. Thanking everyone in advance.
Old 04-07-2021, 11:02 AM

Default Re: Pro Tools hardware requirements.

I'm sorry for answering your questions with questions.

Why Pro tools?
Does your son have any recording equipment already?
If not, things like audio interface for PC, microphone, speakers, midi keyboard and such are as important, if not more than the computer.

I don't have details, but maybe a good option is one of those "everything you need to record" software/hardware packages at a music store might be the thing?
Old 04-07-2021, 01:05 PM

Default Re: Pro Tools hardware requirements.

I would either build a custom PC, or buy from a seller that specializes in "Audio" computers(or "pro tools" computers if indeed Pro Tools is the preferred DAW. Sweetwater and protoolspc.com are 2 options for that). No regular computer retailer is likely to hit the mark on this.

Just some personal observations:
1-i9 is great, but i7 can also work well(but I am a firm believer in building a PC for the future so you don't out-grow it in a year or two.
2-Why Pro Tools? A valid question, and my feeling is, what's the purpose here? If your son is a musician and songwriter, Studio One might be a better option, as is Logic Pro(but this requires Mac) or CuBase. If your son wants to be an engineer, then Pro Tools makes more sense(at least to me as I also work with it as an engineer, more than a musician). The "why" of this is down to the way PT handles audio, vs how it handles arranging and midi instruments.
3-While a new PC is a fine option, there are some others worth considering, such as a used Mac Pro(trash can style), iMac 27" with i7 quad or(on the PC side) an off-lease HP Z820 12 core(I bought mine for $1100 from Digital2000, which is an eBay seller).
4-you NEED a decent interface to do any serious recording, so budget for that too.

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave