Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 2020
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 11-09-2020, 11:56 AM

Default Getting a Chipmunk sound when playing back recording.

Hi Everyone,

I don't like posting this simple issue I'm having as I know I'm going to get some crap for it lol...

But here I am. I have done all the problem solving I can think of like, checking if the sample rate is wrong on the session, Interface, Computer etc.. but everything is matching.

I have also uninstalled and reinstalled Protools, the interface firmware etc

I have also deleted the Pro Tools Preference, Workspace, and WaveCache files

All still getting the Chipmunk sound (It is also speeding up the voice).

I'm running ProTools 2020.9.1 on Catalina on my work computer

On a side note, I can record just fine in Adobe Audition.

This is happening at my work studio and my home studio...

I will be grateful for any help you can provide
Old 11-09-2020, 12:26 PM

Default Re: Getting a Chipmunk sound when playing back recording.

Do you have Pro Tool standard or Ultimate? if Ultimate are you accidently in a faster playback speed? (e.g. from numeric keypad shortcuts... stuck keys or faulty keyboards can occasionally cause problems... but hard to see that happening magically on two systems.)

Pretty much otherwise it will be because you have a problem with sample rate, and you have to sort out what is going on. Try playing back the raw content in Quicktime or iTunes. Try working out exactly how much faster stuff is playing back. that will give you a clue... like if it was accidentally recorded at 1/2 speed etc. or if sample rates are wrong. Don't rely on what any content thinks it's sample rate is, play it back and confirm it work OK at that rate outside of Pro Tools.

You really should not have needed to reinstall all the software... this will be a finger problem, or something like interfaces *not* actually being set correctly to the sample rates you think they are (because of other software has them open, or they are just buggy etc.). What interfaces are you using?
Old 11-09-2020, 12:53 PM

Hi Darryl,

Thanks for your reply.

I played the audio back in the Audio files folder using Quicktime and it still sounds like a Chipmunk.

At work, I'm using the Presonus AudioBox USB 96. At home, I'm using Focusrite Scarlett 2i2

I have attached an image of what all the settings look like on my work computer.

Thanks for your help
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Screen Shot 2020-11-09 at 2.34.59 PM.jpg (53.5 KB, 0 views)
Old 11-09-2020, 01:02 PM

OK but what format are the content files in.. what sample rate do the files think they are at? (e.g. in Quicktime Window>Show Movie Inspector) If you import that audio into a new Pro Tools session what import conversion (or post import elastic audio scaling) does it take to get them to sound right? ... this will all give you a clue what is happening. Sort out exactly what the wrong rate is.

Does this happen with only files recorded on one system? *which one*? and played back on both... that likely means the sample rate during recording was wrong.

Multiple issues with Presonus interface and sample rate missetting on DUC. e.g. https://duc.avid.com/showthread.php?t=398532 you can search for others.
Old 11-09-2020, 01:27 PM

The sample rate of that audio file is the correct rate that I recorded it in: 48hz 24 bit

When I import the audio into a new session I get no import conversion it's at the right rate. When I open up Pitch Shift It starts to sound ok at -12 semton

This issue only happens in ProTools, when I open up Adobe Audition on the same system I have no issue recording and playing back with no chipmunk sound.
Old 11-09-2020, 01:42 PM

12 semitone. So either you are playing back at 2X speed or have managed to record at half the sample rate (might be hard if the session was 48 kHz, does Presonus likely does not support ~24 kHz sample rates) or playing back at twice the sample rate.

You have all the information in front of you to solve the problem. It *will* be something you are doing or the interface(s) not being at the sample rate you think. You can simplify that, for example by creating a new session using Built in Output (and confirming the built-in output sample rate in Audio/MIDI setup while playing back the audio). And keep checking session, audio file, and interface ample rates as best you can... remembering what they tell you may be wrong, try to work out which on is.
Old 11-09-2020, 01:58 PM

Thanks very much for your help in this Darryl, always good to get another Audio engineer's mind with tech issues.

It's a simple issue that I have fixed before by changing sample rates but this had me stumped as everything is matching.

I just played the audio I recorded in Half-speed and it sounds perfect..... Is that still a sample rate problem or a recording speed problem.
Old 11-09-2020, 02:14 PM

You have to do the detective work. Like I said test with Built-in Output, it's a super handy way to check when interface behavior is in doubt. Is the audio rate in the file header correct? If so then it's not a recording issue... then try playback from Pro Tools using Built-In Output and looking at the sample rate the Built-In Output is running at to confirm it matches what you think is set in the session. (or if you interfaces have sample rate displays on the hardware then check that as well when using them). Again, it's quite possible one thing is lying to you (esp. one of the interface sample rates when you record or playback) your job is to work out who the liar is. Session sample rates in Pro Tools or any other DAW are *aspirational* not necessarily the reality any interface is actually running at. Likewise with sample rates in headers... no guarantee they are right.

Last edited by Darryl Ramm; 11-09-2020 at 06:03 PM.