Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Mixing > ICON & C|24
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 11-07-2010, 07:27 AM

Default Re: Select Button and screen visualization

Hi Brent, while I also use PT the way you describe, I would love to have the features requested above as selectable user preferences. I've asked this before on DUC. When mixing one hour on my D-Control I can think of a ton of features that I would like to see implemented, not the least a lot of functions not needing all those modifier keys. I could demonstrate to Avid a bunch of implementations I would like to see, just by having an Avid developer sit next to me for 1 hour. Here's a couple, while I wait for a session to open:
All without modifiers, just one direct button:
- copy setting from active plugin (as on a Control 24, which also had the great idea of having 10 assignable Function buttons, assignable by Digi that was. D-Control could have used such F buttons as well)
- paste setting from active plugin
- Edit screen follows SEL track
- One touch automation modes closer to faders (user soft keys too far and used for other functions): Preview, Punch preview etc. (look at Euphonix System 5, for how it should be)
- Plugin window follows last touched EQ on the channels
- Custom faders follow global switches (EQ, Sends etc)
- Edit screen follows VCA spill

etc.

All this via user setting preferences of course, so that PT can behave whichever way you want.

Got to go, Session is open

Greetings,

Thierry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brent_Sydney View Post
Personally this type of implementation would drive me crazy in some situations. I find myself mixing faders against what I'm looking at on screen.
Such as riding a music or atmos stem in between dialogue.

I often use custom fader groups with the pref (show hidden) switched on so I can mix stuff on the console against what Im seeing on screen. If I need to bring the EQ and dyn into the centre section for those faders on my dcommand I wouldnt want them trying to change what Im looking at in the edit window.
It would have to unhide first (!) and it would be quite distracting - in THAT situation. In others it would be helpful.

I love the ctrl modifier (scroll into view) for that reason, as well as using the zoom toggle with "follows selection" pref enabled.
Old 11-07-2010, 11:54 AM

Default Re: Select Button and screen visualization

If I might add my 2 cents to this thread:

I'm using the "scroll into view" in PT's Tracks-list often.
A soft key at the D-command would be a big helper to me.
MacPro5,1 ; 6-Core Intel Xeon 3,46 GHz, 32 Gig Ram, NVIDIA Quadro K5000 with 3 displays connected  OSX10.15.7  Pro Tools|HDX Ultimate 2023.6  HD I/O&192Digital&96&96i I/Os  D-Command ES  4xUnitor8 & 2xAMT8