Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Post Production > Post - Surround - Video
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 12-30-2009, 06:41 PM

Default PT 8.03 feels much better than the previous version

I upgraded to pt 8.03 and today I started sound post for a feature film. So far, this version of Pro-Tools feels a lot more responsive, evil scrubber gone makes life much easier, sessions load and close considerably faster than before, importing audio from the workspace feels a little faster, and the cursor now stops and starts at the right location - no more jump back and catch up - which at least for me, it is way more accurate for dialogue editing. I am now at about 75 audio tracks (combination of mono, stereo, and 5,1) on this film, with RTAS EQ and RTAS Dynamics on every audio track, 16 aux ins with verbs (convolution and regular), delays, effects, low air, etc, and several aux in buses for stems of dialogue, sfx, and music. I am using a 5.1 Master Aux in (I have the delay comp at max) with master EQ, Dorough meters, Waves Surround Bass Manager, etc.etc. etc. I am running video at 1920 X 1080 ProRes 422 (5 reels) using my Intensity card to output full video via HDMI to a 60" plasma screen. Mu desktop is a dual display made up of two 32" 1920X1080 monitors being fed by the internal Mac video card splitting HDMI and VGA. My film sessions usually end up with 120 to 140 tracks (I may print special effects/tracks) and so far, aside from a strange crash after updating Waves to version 7, the entire system feels much better than before. At this point, my computer (8 core) CPU and PCI activity monitors are between 15% and 25% and I still have all of my TDM power available.

For the record I do not work for Digidesign and I fear that tomorrow I will be complaining about the "new bugs" that I will probably find but for now...great work Digi. Please give us the option to adjust contrast in the GUI and support the PPC guys at least through all of version 8.

Mac 8 core, PT HD 8.03, firewire 800 drives.

G
Old 12-30-2009, 06:42 PM

Default Re: PT 8.03 feels much better than the previous version

I just realized my post belongs in the Post and Surround forum. Digi can you please move it?

Thank you.

G
Old 01-02-2010, 05:41 AM

I started a small documentary edit and mix a few days ago, and I decided to test the new PT 8.0.3. I had installed a small SSD drive for Snow Leopard and so far everything fits well on it (though I still have to install Speakerphone, which takes a few GB).
Snow Leopard feels better (than 10.5) (no more memory hogs with loading waveforms), and also PT feels very smooth and til now I have not experienced problems. Loading is smooth and fast. So far: thumbs up!

Matthias
Old 01-02-2010, 10:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by garnoil View Post
I upgraded to pt 8.03 and today I started sound post for a feature film. So far, this version of Pro-Tools feels a lot more responsive, evil scrubber gone makes life much easier, sessions load and close considerably faster than before, importing audio from the workspace feels a little faster, and the cursor now stops and starts at the right location - no more jump back and catch up - which at least for me, it is way more accurate for dialogue editing. I am now at about 75 audio tracks (combination of mono, stereo, and 5,1) on this film, with RTAS EQ and RTAS Dynamics on every audio track, 16 aux ins with verbs (convolution and regular), delays, effects, low air, etc, and several aux in buses for stems of dialogue, sfx, and music. I am using a 5.1 Master Aux in (I have the delay comp at max) with master EQ, Dorough meters, Waves Surround Bass Manager, etc.etc. etc. I am running video at 1920 X 1080 ProRes 422 (5 reels) using my Intensity card to output full video via HDMI to a 60" plasma screen. Mu desktop is a dual display made up of two 32" 1920X1080 monitors being fed by the internal Mac video card splitting HDMI and VGA. My film sessions usually end up with 120 to 140 tracks (I may print special effects/tracks) and so far, aside from a strange crash after updating Waves to version 7, the entire system feels much better than before. At this point, my computer (8 core) CPU and PCI activity monitors are between 15% and 25% and I still have all of my TDM power available.

For the record I do not work for Digidesign and I fear that tomorrow I will be complaining about the "new bugs" that I will probably find but for now...great work Digi. Please give us the option to adjust contrast in the GUI and support the PPC guys at least through all of version 8.

Mac 8 core, PT HD 8.03, firewire 800 drives.

G
Who makes the Intensity card? That's a darn busy computer you're runnin' there, partner, glad it's working so well.

Philip Perkins
Old 01-02-2010, 11:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by philper View Post
Who makes the Intensity card? That's a darn busy computer you're runnin' there, partner, glad it's working so well.

Philip Perkins
Here is a link:
http://www.blackmagic-design.com/products/intensity/
IMDB http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0401937/
Like everything in life, there are no guarantees just opportunities.
Old 01-02-2010, 02:34 PM

If stuck on LE, should one be using 8.0.1 or 8.0.cs3 ? for post editing and mixing? Cheers, I am currently on 8.0.1. however I find it rather sluggish particularly the playhead. Perhaps I am better of with a consumer support release?
2009 MacPro w/Two 2.26 Ghz Quad-Core Intel Xeon "Nehalem" processors - 6 GB - Mbox2 PRO - Pro Tools 8 w/Complete Production Toolkit - 3 x KRK RPG 6s, 2 x KRK RPG 5s, 1 x KRK 10S / T-racks 3 / Izotope RX / Wave Arts / PSP / Massey / Joemeeks / ARC system/ Snapper / Microphones galore
Old 01-02-2010, 02:56 PM

I am sorry I don't know how PT-LE performs at all (I do not use it) or what version of LE would work better. The HD version of PT 8:03 appears to be much better than version 8.

G
Old 01-02-2010, 02:59 PM

Montreal, have you checked your systemsettings? Just a guess, but have you unchecked digi hardware from your system preferences/audio/output?
Old 01-02-2010, 04:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by arvid.lind View Post
Montreal, have you checked your systemsettings? Just a guess, but have you unchecked digi hardware from your system preferences/audio/output?
Good catch! It seems someone (blames interns but probably myself) forgot to switch it off and OSX was grabbing the Mbox. Thanks arvid.lind that should fix it for now. I guess I will stick with 8.0.1 cheers!
2009 MacPro w/Two 2.26 Ghz Quad-Core Intel Xeon "Nehalem" processors - 6 GB - Mbox2 PRO - Pro Tools 8 w/Complete Production Toolkit - 3 x KRK RPG 6s, 2 x KRK RPG 5s, 1 x KRK 10S / T-racks 3 / Izotope RX / Wave Arts / PSP / Massey / Joemeeks / ARC system/ Snapper / Microphones galore