Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Pro Tools
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 02-21-2023, 01:00 PM

Default 2022.12 - for me the worst version since years

I am not very often complain about Pro Tools. I was very happy with the last updates and also try to have clean install, still one OS behind and plugins all up to date...
(Mac Studio, 12.6.3)

2022.10 was once of the very stable versions for me...could not think of any errors.

This changed totally with 2022.12 (rosetta). - yes I trashed pref, re-start Mac, checked my plugins...and did not change anything at all with my setup.

This first thing was I can't activated SSL UF8 as a HUI device. Pro Tools crashed or hangs with beach ball when I hit save in the HUI pref. Need to restart, need to create a new clean session, activate Midi Input device, SAVE, QUITE PT, RE-Start and then I could saved the HUI device without beach ball..very strange

Next...just by clicking trough a session without playing - pro tools hangs....beach ball

Next...editing inside ARA Melodyne (my first try with the ARA system)...pro tools hangs...logical after 30 min of editing at the last note....auto save was on every 2 min....so again beach ball....re-start pro tools....the session load fine from the auto save back up but all melodyne work was gone...(yes I have the last update of melodyne). This was the last thing I needed to revert back to 2022.10.

I know this .12-version is half an update half an beta for native...thought it would more beta on the native side.

What really hit my nerve that I don't get a error message....just beach ball every time until I hard close pro tools.

Thanks to backups to get back fast to a stable and working version.

Just for interests, anybody with same experiences?
Old 02-22-2023, 02:29 AM

Default Re: 2022.12 - for me the worst version since years

it's been pretty bad here too. It often fails completely to open larger sessions, and when it does open them, it takes about a half hour to do it (using very fast ssds & a decently powerful system). It gets stuck on "restoring audio" or something like that, or on "restoring ARA data". It also has lost ARA edits completely, even working just on the one drive. (I've seen that others have lost edits when using different drives, that's why i mention that.) And quite frequent hangs, sometimes for a few minutes, sometimes permanently (I left it to go cook & eat dinner, and it was still hung.)

I've recently updated to the new Melodyne, but haven't done much work since then. So I'm hoping that will help. But 2022.10 was definitely more solid for me.
* Soundtoys + Valhalla + Fabfilter + Spitfire
* RME Fireface UCX II ~ Arturia Keylab Essential 49
* various clarinets, trumpets, flutes, plucky stringy thingies
Old 02-22-2023, 06:39 AM

Thanks for your feedback! I think i will freeze my system on 2022.10 for the next release and try whatever comes up just after some time when it is out of „beta“. ARA is great but my older workflow with the plugin is more save and take not much more time even less when nothing get‘s lost. It is not good to edit/work when you can‘t trust the system anymore…never had that feeling with pro tools before.
Old 03-03-2023, 01:01 PM

I absolutely agree and have had the same experience. The other day I took 2 WAV files bounced down on a current mac studio (M1 Ultra) out of state and tried to drag and drop them into the clip window. They were the same bit/sample rate as the session so there shouldn't have been an issue but it would crash PT 2022.12 every time.

They would import properly using the File, Import command. I have my PT default to copy all files into the audio files folder so it shouldn't be that.

The week before that, I don't even remember what simple thing I was doing but it crashed hard then too. That crash was also NOT plugin related, had to be PT.

I've been a computer consultant since the 80's and 1987 is when I started to use a PC based MIDI sequencer so I'm not a newbie at this. First PC: Leading Edge Model "D" in 1984, first mac, Mac+ 512 in 1985.

Frankly, Pro Tools now is about as unreliable as many of the old releases of Cakewalk's Sonar. I was a beta tester for version 8 of Sonar which was frustrating since they NEVER fixed the bugs I reported. Again, seems just like Avid.

Thanks for the heads-up on 2022.10!!! I'm sorely tempted to roll back to that and see how it goes because I haven't experienced PT crashes this often since, what, version 11?

I keep asking myself... why do I still have 2 perpetual licenses and support subscriptions for a product that's this full of issues that keep recurring?
Old 03-03-2023, 01:18 PM

I'm surprised to see this. It's been one of the best versions for me and my coworkers (we're running OS Monterey). It has a few issues but every version of PT has had a few issues. I'm sure those problems are real, and probably frustrating, it's just not happening here.
Old 03-03-2023, 01:38 PM

I haven't pushed my setup with very big sessions or heavy cpu plugins, but my two weeks with Ventura and 2022.12, switching between rosetta and native, has been really solid. Mostly using native mode because it makes PT so snappy, it's just a joy. I'm using my mac for everything and PT, and it's all very solid. Not saying you should be on Ventura, that's not likely your problem, but PT2022.12 is good here.
Old 03-03-2023, 01:47 PM

2022.12 on Ventura on Intel has been very good for me as well. The only noticeable problem is having to force quite Pro Tools, (and troubleshooting that has not turned up a work around so far, it's not plugins and not corrupted prefs). But I'm simple, just stereo audio, no video, no surround, lite automation, nothing complex, only VI is superior drummer, etc. Tests I've done on an Apple Silicon MBP have shown no problems either with my sessions and my plugins. I was previously having awful CPU stability problems on Monterey and previous versions of PT. It took full clean wipes and clean installs and maybe fixing some macOS misconfigured DNS networking to get to stability, I was never really able to get to the bottom of what was really causing all that mess.
Old 03-03-2023, 03:12 PM

I share Darryl's experience on 2022.12 with Ventura on an Intel iMac.

Even the part about Force Quitting, though in fact I notice that more in general with several apps, because I usually have a lot of stuff open, spreadsheets with VO's etc. Sometimes I have to force quit various app now and again, seemingly to do with Apps/OS level stuff, not so much plug-in problems inside PT. I experienced hung apps not closing properly less often on Monterey.

It's stable enough for me to work in general, but I don't use many large sessions.
||software: Sonoma 14.2 | PT Studio 2023.12 | Ableton Live 11 | iZotope RX, Ozone, Neutron | Arturia Pigments | Auto-Tune | Dubler2 //
||system: iMac (Retina 5K, 27", 2020) 10-Core-i9 | 128GB-DDR4 | 5700-XT-16GB | OWC Thunderbolt Hub and Thunderbolt 3 Dock //
||devices: RME Babyface Pro FS | Focusrite Clarett 2Pre | some AT mics | SM58 | Ableton Push 2 | Sennheiser HD 600 HP // Onkyo TX-8220 SR
||automation: SoundFlow | Stream Deck+ | Keyboard Maestro | SteerMouse | MacOS Shortcuts //
Old 03-03-2023, 03:27 PM

Mine's been pretty stable. But I installed it on a basically-totally-new system. Some plug-ins don't like it. (iZotope Nectar 3, for sure) and sometimes when I am QUITTING, it crashes. Otherwise it's pretty good, and I push it with VI count, routing and heavy plugins (soothe2, Gullfoss, Ozone, etc)

Mac Studio Ultra : 128GB RAM : Ventura 13.6 : Carbon : PT Ultimate 2023.12 : S1 : Metagrid Pro
Old 03-03-2023, 03:36 PM

I’ve found it to be just as stable as any other recent version. M1max studio on Monterey.

That being said, I haven’t been using ara melodyne as it’s been way too buggy for real work since launch.