Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Hardware > Pro Tools HDX & HD Native Systems (Mac)

Old 05-23-2012, 08:22 AM

Default Avid is not sure about HDX1 on my Mac Pro with 6 flat screen displays connected. PICS

Here's my computer setup:

Mac Pro 12 core, 2 x 2.93 Ghz
32 GB RAM
BluRay Burner
1 x SSD
3 x 3 TB HDD (all 4 hard drive bays are occupied)
2 x ATI Radeon 5770 powering 6 displays

I asked an Avid Rep at Sweetwater if I can add an HDX1 card to my one free remaining PCI slot, and he said:

"There 'can' be a power issue as all these cards draw current from the power supply. I don't know that there is any specific issue with 2 video cards or anything with that Radeon card but the power supply issue. There doesn't appear to be any known or documented problems with Avid's HDX cards and multiple video cards, and I would presume that all the manufacturers involved would abide by the maximum current/power draw specifications laid down for PCIe card slots and cards intended for use in those slots."

Anybody have any experience running HDX with multiple video cards? I'm trying to learn more before purchasing the bundle for $12K. I'm trying to learn if (A) there's enough clearance physically for the card (B) if there are any power draw issues (C) If the HDX card requires a physical power connection to the motherboard, as my existing two video cards do (see picture) and finally (D) if there are any heat or temperature requirements I should be concerned about, as the computer will be running 3 hard drives, an SSD, plus three hefty PCI cards.

http://www.blueroommusicstudio.com/1.jpg
http://www.blueroommusicstudio.com/2.jpg
http://www.blueroommusicstudio.com/3.jpg
http://www.blueroommusicstudio.com/4.jpg
http://www.blueroommusicstudio.com/5.jpg
http://www.blueroommusicstudio.com/6.jpg
Old 05-23-2012, 09:00 AM

Default Re: Avid is not sure about HDX1 on my Mac Pro with 6 flat screen displays connected.

The hdx card needs to be connected to the motherboard,sounds like a power issue to me.
Old 05-23-2012, 09:02 AM

Default Re: Avid is not sure about HDX1 on my Mac Pro with 6 flat screen displays connected.

graphics cards surpasses the PCI power availability many years ago
now HDX cards have to

do you really need 2 video cards? / 6 separate screens?
could you accomplish the same end using some DAs?

could you downgrade the video cards to less powerful model that don't need the extra power? / more space / less heat

"Fly High Freeee click psst tic tic tic click Bird Yeah!" - dave911

Thank you,

Craig
Old 05-23-2012, 11:05 AM

The reflections off those screens must sound terrible.

Mixing and Mastering click here to get started.
Old 05-23-2012, 03:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmazurek View Post
The reflections off those screens must sound terrible.
You beat me to it. Couldn't think of a diplomatic way to comment on the silliness of those screens.
Old 05-23-2012, 04:09 PM

You guys are so very helpful! The only suggestions I received are to remove one of the video cards, downgrade the video cards, and get rid of my screens since they cause awful reflections.

Thanks for the tips everyone, but removing one of the cards or the screens is not an option. I (and my clients) can live with the AWFULLLL reflections off my speakers.

Anybody who actually knows about the power supplied by a Mac Pro motherboard? Are there more than 2 ports on the MoBo that can supply power to my three PCI cards?
Old 05-23-2012, 04:49 PM

Well sorry for trying to help.

I keep a school running and I don't need 6 sepprat screens so I'm trying to understand your needs.

There is an old saw, "Your Pro Tools rig is your Pro Tools rig and nothing else"
Yes that was from the days of OS9 but there is still some truth to it.

You want/need a massive PSU you may need a Hackacintosh to supply enough power.

A Magma PCIe to PCIe chassis might be an option but I don't know if the HDX card is approved for one yet.

"Fly High Freeee click psst tic tic tic click Bird Yeah!" - dave911

Thank you,

Craig
Old 05-23-2012, 07:01 PM

I believe there is only 2 extra power connections on the Mac pro motherboard, and both of your graphics cards are using those power connections. The avid support docs for HDX specifically mention one power port must be free for the HDX card.

Maybe you could look intro Matrox desktop extenders so you could ditch one card (or at least downgrade one to an nvdidia gt120 which doesn't require additional power) and still run all the displays you need.

MKD Creative
Old 05-23-2012, 08:16 PM

that's a great idea - haven't considered the magma chassis! but what type of connection would that use to the Mac Pro? don't have thunderbolt of course. wonder how reliable it is with HDX.
Old 05-23-2012, 11:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by conrad787 View Post
that's a great idea - haven't considered the magma chassis! but what type of connection would that use to the Mac Pro? don't have thunderbolt of course. wonder how reliable it is with HDX.
People do use chassis of various types with HDX but I think HDX isn't actually officially supported to use in any chassis. I could be wrong though.