Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Win)

Old 07-18-2006, 01:34 AM

Default Re: Best Desktops for PTLE

how many dverbs do you think I could run with this?
http://krone.physik.unizh.ch/~stadel...rt&cache=cache

Old 07-18-2006, 02:41 PM

I've no idea, but I'm planning on building a new system with a Core 2 Duo to go with my new Digi002 Rack Factory (finally upgraded from an 001), so I'll let you know how it works. Probably in about a month. Maybe a lot sooner if these new chips are actually available at reasonable prices when they're supposed to be.
Old 07-19-2006, 02:53 PM

Hey guys, been lurking this thread for a while trying to come up with a good setup for small home studio comp. So far I have these parts put together, pretty much the old Allensten machine. I'd like to hear your comments on the setup. I'm pretty at a loss when it comes to gfx card, is the card that important? Also I want to keep my expenses down, where could I save money? - CPU, RAM, HD ?

Btw: I'm going to use this with MBox2

In advance thanks for your advice!

/D

MOTHERBOARD
Asus A8N-SLI Premium Dual Core Motherboard

CPU
Athlon 64 4200+ Dual Core Processor

RAM - 2GB
RAM 1024MB DDR2 533MHz - KINGSTON x2

GFX CARD
Help needed!

HARDDRIVES
Operating System: SEAGATE 120GB 7200.7 SATA - 7200RPM 8MB CACHE
Recording: WD 74GB RAPTOR 10000RPM SATA - 8MB CACHE 4.5MS

CD-ROM/DVD BURNER
LITE-ON DVD-BRÆNDER 16X 16H5S - LIGHTSCRIBE

CABINET
ANTEC SONATA II QUIET MIDITOWER - 450WATT 20dB PSU

MONITOR
SyncMaster 940B
Old 07-20-2006, 05:19 AM

hi Darumar,
I've seen two points where you can earn a litel bit money:
-your hard drive system, 5400rpm are enough
-your ram could be generic, also cheaper...

About a gfx card, i think it's not so important...digidesign recomand to work with 256 colors if you got some trouble shooting (my card cost 60 euro whit 2 output).
What does your mobo ram speed support ? 533mhz ? not higer ? ...adapt your ram speed to the speed of your mobo's one...better performence.
bye.
Old 07-21-2006, 07:08 AM

Quote:
wow.

http://www.tomshardware.com/2006/07/...64/page16.html

can some one who know more about this explain the very bottom graph to me? the one about multimedia?

Thanks,
Will
Those synthetic benchmarks don't mean much... check out the pages that show actual audio/video programs being benchmarked. But the Core 2 is a monster, either way.

WATYF
Old 07-21-2006, 07:25 AM

Quote:
hi Darumar,
I've seen two points where you can earn a litel bit money:
-your hard drive system, 5400rpm are enough
-your ram could be generic, also cheaper...

About a gfx card, i think it's not so important...digidesign recomand to work with 256 colors if you got some trouble shooting (my card cost 60 euro whit 2 output).
What does your mobo ram speed support ? 533mhz ? not higer ? ...adapt your ram speed to the speed of your mobo's one...better performence.
bye.
Er... no. Digi specifically requires 7200 RPM for Hard Drives.

And when it comes to Pro Tools (or any other area of computing), the number one rule is: Never, ever, evereverever buy cheap RAM. Low-grade, unstable RAM is the cause of more PC problems than you can possibly imagine, and it's even more of a mistake when you put it in a system that needs to run a complex, memory hungry audio tool like Pro Tools.

My advice for Darumar (or anyone else right now) is: Wait for the Core 2's. Even if you're a rabid AMD fanboy and would never buy an Intel CPU, at least wait until the launch of Core 2 before buying your AMD CPU, because prices on pretty much every CPU out there are gonna go through the floor in about a week's time (the entire AMD X2 line will drop below $300). And if you're someone prone to listen to reason ...then buy a Core 2. The $330 Core 2 (E6600) can wipe the floor (in pretty much every single benchmark) with AMD's fastest, most expensive CPU (FX-62 @ $1100). There will literally be no reason to purchase an AMD processor in about a week... even the low end Core 2's (~$200) are still better than most of AMD's line.

WATYF
Old 07-21-2006, 07:36 AM

Quote:
Hey all..
Well I've been lucky enough to have my exact same system since i got pro tools in 12/2001..

unfortunately that run has come to an end.. my computer has just kicked the bucked i think..
also unfortunately it's tough to go through years of this post and find good config's..

so i found a bare bones system on t*gerdirect, want to see if anyone can glance over these specs and see if there are any potential problems..

here is the link
http://www.tigerdirect.com/applicati...954&CatId=1909

specs:

Abit SG-80 SiS Socket 775 MicroATX Motherboard
- Chipset: SiS 661FX/964
- Front Side Bus: 533/800MHz
- Processor Interface: Socket 775

Intel Pentium 4 524 3.06GHz OEM Processor
- Processor Speed: 524 / 3.06GHz
- Cache Size: 1MB
- Processor Socket: Socket 775

i really don't know what makes all these mother boards different, im pretty much a noobie, though i can put a computer together no problem.. just don't know all these specs and what makes em good or bad or whathave you..

everything else on my existing system hopefully works, (hard drives, dvd roms, dual monitor card which is fairly new, my RAM is a bit old, if it doesnt work ill buy some compatible to this)

anyway i run PT 6.something on a 001.. (Pretty sure i have the last version supported for 001)
nothing fancy: just that with my guitar, keyboard, and mics..

thanks all

also, im thinking about upgrading to 002R pretty soon, will this work for that as well??
Digi specifically states that SiS chipsets are not compatible with Pro Tools. I'd stay away from them anyway (Pro Tools or not). See my previous post for advice on upcoming system purchases.

WATYF
Old 07-22-2006, 12:35 PM

Sorry all, but I'm jumping for joy...

Just ordered my Quadzilla, exactly as suggested. Can't wait for the stability/power of this BEASTIE if it indeed is all you guys have been bragging about.

I am putting together exactly what's on the first post on this thread, minus the DVD/CDRom.
Any final suggestions on the build?

Thanks for all the good reading.

CharlieX
Old 07-24-2006, 10:41 PM

Default Re: Best System for PTLE for under $1000.00

hey this is a great thread, i was in the process of purchasing a computer from tiger direct, and then i found the links you posted in the beginning..

anyway, i will be a pro tools M-powered user. Is it safe to assume that M-powered and PTLE have the same system requirements?
Old 07-25-2006, 07:51 PM

Has ANYONE been able to get a socket AM2 AMD Athlon(TM) 64 dual core processor to work on ANY motherboard with a Digi001 or ANY version of PTLE 6.7 or before? Any advicd regarding AM2 sockets and Pro Tools would be VERY much appreciated.

Runs w Scissors