How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Windows
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 11-04-2018, 03:51 PM

Default Error messages when I try to open project files

Hey guys!

When I try to open up a project from within one of my project folders I get these error messages (see below). I can load my projects just fine if I open Pro Tools first and THEN load them up from within Pro Tools which is weird.

Let me know if you any clues of what I should do to fix this.

I am running Pro Tools 11.3.2 on Windows 10.

Thanks in advance, guys!
Old 11-05-2018, 08:04 AM

Default Re: Error messages when I try to open project files

It looks like the Windows file association for ptx files is broken. This could be either a corrupt installation or that the association is pointing to an older install of PT, which it tries to look for when trying to open the file.

When you double click on the ptx file in the folder, you are telling Windows to use the program associated with that file extension to open it. If for whatever reason Windows can't make that association, it will either just throw an error, or it will try and re-install the application that it thinks can open it (which seems to be your case). At that point, PT has not even started and doesn't have anything to do with the error.

When you run PT first, you are already in the program and all it has to do is open the project file.

Fixing this can be sort of messy. If you have multiple versions of PT installed, I would uninstall them (unless you need them of course). Then I would try and run a registry cleaning tool like CCleaner to remove the invalid associations.

It may actually work better if you completely uninstall PT, reboot, run CCleaner, then install PT again.

System Details
Old 11-05-2018, 09:56 AM

I agree ^^

Try re-installing Pro Tools.

But, if you launch Pro Tools first, and then try to open a session, does that work?

Windows 11 Pro | macOS 12
Pro Tools 2022
benonistudio.com
Youtube Channel - benonistudio
Plugin Deals
@benonistudio
Old 11-06-2018, 10:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by junkgear View Post
It looks like the Windows file association for ptx files is broken. This could be either a corrupt installation or that the association is pointing to an older install of PT, which it tries to look for when trying to open the file.

When you double click on the ptx file in the folder, you are telling Windows to use the program associated with that file extension to open it. If for whatever reason Windows can't make that association, it will either just throw an error, or it will try and re-install the application that it thinks can open it (which seems to be your case). At that point, PT has not even started and doesn't have anything to do with the error.

When you run PT first, you are already in the program and all it has to do is open the project file.

Fixing this can be sort of messy. If you have multiple versions of PT installed, I would uninstall them (unless you need them of course). Then I would try and run a registry cleaning tool like CCleaner to remove the invalid associations.

It may actually work better if you completely uninstall PT, reboot, run CCleaner, then install PT again.
Thanks for the reply!

Yeah, that does sound kind of messy...

Stupid question: if I uninstall and then re-install PT I have to install all my plugins again as well, right?
Old 11-06-2018, 10:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benoni View Post
I agree ^^

Try re-installing Pro Tools.

But, if you launch Pro Tools first, and then try to open a session, does that work?
Yes, that is what is so confusing to me.
Old 11-06-2018, 12:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geartone View Post
Thanks for the reply!

Yeah, that does sound kind of messy...

Stupid question: if I uninstall and then re-install PT I have to install all my plugins again as well, right?
No, your plugins will remain intact even after an uninstall.

System Details