Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Post Production > Post - Surround - Video
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 06-23-2023, 11:38 AM

Default Best video codec for PT 2023

Without a background in video, I'm having a hard time understanding why I get such mixed results with video files I'm sent from various editors. On my older system, I had consistently good results from converting everything to DNxHD, but on my new Mac Mini M2 pro/Ventura/PT 2023 system, I'm not having great luck with that approach. These files are coming from a variety of platforms (AVID/Premier/Davinci), sometimes H264(both mp4 and mov) and sometimes ProREs or DNxHD. More often then not, PT becomes a bit laggy. Not totally unusable, but enough to slow me down when editing or a fast paced ADR session. But then, sometimes I'll get another file of the same type that is totally fine. I realize that there are several variations on these codecs and I'd like to be able to request a specific type, but I lack the knowledge to determine what the differences are.

I'd appreciate hearing what works best for others with a similar system.

Thanks
Old 06-23-2023, 12:25 PM

Default Re: Best video codec for PT 2023

Sometimes it helps to knock the resolution down while you are doing the transcode. I've found that even 720p isn't objectionable on my monitor during a mix. The smaller file size will help with PT stabilization but codec wise DNxHR and ProRes LT have always been spot on for me.

H264 can easily have issues with dropping frames and audio being out of sync so I avoid that at all costs. It's due to how the file compresses the data and removes frames to save space. It's also more taxing on the CPU due to the decode despite the smaller file size.

If you haven't yet, download shutter encoder and create a preset for an encode once you find the codec and frame size that agrees with your system. Then just get in the habit of dragging anything that comes through into that program before it sees pro tools.

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk
Old 06-24-2023, 02:08 PM

Thanks for the info. I've noticed that even after conversion to DNxHD (shutter encoder), some video files perform better in PT than others. Am I imagining this?

Regarding data rate, Shutter encoder defaults to 120, but an article I read suggested that 36 is optimum for pro tools. Is this a video quality aspect or does it affect PT's GUI performance as well?
Old 06-24-2023, 04:06 PM

Avid DNxHD/HR should be 36
Apple ProRes should be Proxy.
They both operate at about 36Mb/s which is optimal. And both are intra frame compression codecs which is what you should stick too.
Eventually when the Avid Video Engine (AVE) is optimized for new M processor macs, Pro Res will be the best choice (as there is a hardware decoder built in.) Currently it is not -- though by my tests, ProRes Proxy still performs a little better than DNxHD36 even without the optimizations.
Old 06-25-2023, 07:31 AM

Look for DNxHR LB.

It's not just the resolution/frame size, it's the bit rate that matters. 1080/720 makes no performance difference if you're using a low bit rate codec like LB or ProRes Proxy (I happen to prefer DNxHR LB in an MXF though)
Old 06-25-2023, 08:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BScout View Post
Avid DNxHD/HR should be 36
QFE
Undertone on Facebook
Undertone Custom Sound Libraries

"Groupable markers would be epochal!"
-Starcrash
Old 06-26-2023, 02:11 PM

Thanks everyone for these helpful replies!
Old 06-26-2023, 08:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zakco View Post
Without a background in video, I'm having a hard time understanding why I get such mixed results with video files I'm sent from various editors. On my older system, I had consistently good results from converting everything to DNxHD, but on my new Mac Mini M2 pro/Ventura/PT 2023 system, I'm not having great luck with that approach. These files are coming from a variety of platforms (AVID/Premier/Davinci), sometimes H264(both mp4 and mov) and sometimes ProREs or DNxHD. More often then not, PT becomes a bit laggy. Not totally unusable, but enough to slow me down when editing or a fast paced ADR session. But then, sometimes I'll get another file of the same type that is totally fine. I realize that there are several variations on these codecs and I'd like to be able to request a specific type, but I lack the knowledge to determine what the differences are.

I'd appreciate hearing what works best for others with a similar system.

Thanks
What kind of drive are you running it off of? Get Shutter Encoder, it is free though they would appreciate a donation.
The New Mac's are suppose to have a builtin h264/5 converter in them so they should run smooth. I always run .mov files over mp4 as I've had .mp4 issues in the past.

With Shutter Encoder, if I get an H264 file, I convert it to DNX36 HR and have not had any issues.

I use ShutterEncoder to make my video files smaller for storage but can quickly blow them back up to DNX with no quality loss.
Almost every plugin
Old 06-27-2023, 09:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by audiolex1 View Post
What kind of drive are you running it off of?
I'm using a Samsung EVO 860 SSD in an external TB4 enclosure. Read/Write speeds tested at 400 MB/s which should be perfectly adequate for my uses.

Quote:
Get Shutter Encoder, it is free though they would appreciate a donation.
Yes, I'm using shutter encoder for this already.

Quote:
With Shutter Encoder, if I get an H264 file, I convert it to DNX36 HR and have not had any issues.
That was my experience with my (much) older system, but for some reason, I've had inconsistent results on the new system. I thought that it was the source files that were the problem, but since it was suggested to stick with DNxHD36, it's been better, but I've only had a couple of files to work with this week, so we'll see how it works out over time.

Even using DNxHD36, it "feels" like the new system doesn't perform as well with video, period. It's barely perceptible, but after a decade on the same system, you get pretty sensitive to changes in GUI responsiveness!
The M2 rig is MANY times more powerful than my old 6 core cheesegrater and I see that demonstrated during many tasks but as soon as I load a video file in PT, it loses just the tiniest bit of snap.
Old 06-28-2023, 07:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zakco View Post
I'm using a Samsung EVO 860 SSD in an external TB4 enclosure. Read/Write speeds tested at 400 MB/s which should be perfectly adequate for my uses.

Yes, I'm using shutter encoder for this already.

That was my experience with my (much) older system, but for some reason, I've had inconsistent results on the new system. I thought that it was the source files that were the problem, but since it was suggested to stick with DNxHD36, it's been better, but I've only had a couple of files to work with this week, so we'll see how it works out over time.

Even using DNxHD36, it "feels" like the new system doesn't perform as well with video, period. It's barely perceptible, but after a decade on the same system, you get pretty sensitive to changes in GUI responsiveness!
The M2 rig is MANY times more powerful than my old 6 core cheesegrater and I see that demonstrated during many tasks but as soon as I load a video file in PT, it loses just the tiniest bit of snap.
I meant DNXHD, as I was decoding a H264 just now.

HMm. I remember when the new AVID engine came out and there was a preference called prevent tearing I think.
Maybe untick it? See if that helps?

Are you using a thunderbolt hub with USB on your M2 or plugging directly into the computer. Are there any other drives on the system? Are the SSD?
Are they formatted APFS?

I know these are obvious questions. Trying to get a scope.
Almost every plugin