Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > AAX Plug-ins
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 09-28-2014, 04:39 PM

Default Re: Waves Studiorack

Thanks much ghostwriter. propower- the fan is just a hair louder than an avid io, or maybe about the same. It is a computer essentially afterall so it is pretty impressive how quiet they've made it. If it's important for you to have the io in the tracking room and you need some dsp I might recommend getting a DLI and separate server that can be put elsewhere on a cat5e or cat 6 run for the same reason I don't like having the avid io's near microphones.
Old 09-30-2014, 02:36 AM

Looking at this I think this is unacceptable solution for many, including me:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R3S0wd7LcJU

Waves, please make AAX DSP versions for us. We will pay you for that. We will not pay you for your Digigrid boxes because they are step backwards from your TDM versions. You used to make something really good - Waves TDM plugins.
Mac Mini i7 2018,
Reaper DAW,
Presonus Faderport,
Arturia Beastep for DAW control,
Former Pro Tools HD user (from V7 until V12.6).
Old 09-30-2014, 08:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emcha_audio View Post
Core audio drivers could induce more latency than the avid hardware drivers for the HDX card, basically if you're using the core audio drivers for the input, you're basically using a native system and will be dependent on the buffer settings of your interface and you computer speed. So in that respect it's a good question to ask, what the latency for that will be.
My understanding from finally reading the studiorack manual is that when it's in input mode, you are not monitoring using core audio, ASIO or HDX at all. The only latency is 40 samples in the server plus your converters and that of any plug-ins being used in studiorack. Many of the waves such as SSL are zero in native.

The buffer setting in Pro Tools 11 only applies to tracks that are set to input. When using a studiorack, those tracks completely bypass that buffer so its setting is completely irrelevant. There's also no reason to not run studioracks that aren't being used to record on the host and not the server. Virtual instruments that don't run on soundgrid are the only situation where the buffer setting would matter.

PT 11 does not work at all like TDM. People are comparing apples to oranges by comparing HDX or studiorack to TDM.

Last edited by Bob Olhsson; 09-30-2014 at 10:19 AM.
Old 09-30-2014, 09:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by milaszewski View Post
Looking at this I think this is unacceptable solution for many, including me:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R3S0wd7LcJU

Waves, please make AAX DSP versions for us. We will pay you for that. We will not pay you for your Digigrid boxes because they are step backwards from your TDM versions. You used to make something really good - Waves TDM plugins.
I think a lot of people here, including Waves, are a little too focused on the DSP plugin offerings of this system for HDX users.

In reality I see this as a small bonus of the system...seeing that as an HDX card user you already have a solid offering for low latency AAX DSP plugins... softube, BX, McDSP, Avid... not a plethora, but solid. and waves plugins anyway fit more into the "mix category" rather than creative like something such as sound toys does... I'd be way more interested in pressuring them to do AAX DSP as their plugins aren't really covered by anything in the AAX DSP realm.

For me, the networking and routing possibilities of the digigrid system is where the MEAT is... it is incredibly cool and easy to route audio across a LAN with digigrid. Of course this doesn't fit everyone's needs... or at least not everyone realizes it. The DLI is affordable enough that you can create a vast multi room system for very little $. Now that is cool.

That being said, sure it would be nice if I could load up GTR as an AAX DSP plug. But its not looking like that is going to happen. What would be effing great though is if other developers who have passed up AAX DSP started porting their plugs to sound grid... us AAX DSP users would have a means of accessing a whole new realm of low latency processing with some minimal workaround by jacking into digigrid.
But that remains to be seen.
Old 09-30-2014, 10:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by studioj11 View Post
What would be effing great though is if other developers who have passed up AAX DSP started porting their plugs to sound grid...
If that happens, DigiGrid/SoundGrid will have life inside the studio. There will not be a need for native users to upgrade to the latest and greatest computer as all the processing can be handled via Waves DSP. We shall see if any/many aax-native only companies join in. I don't count Plugin Alliance. They will code plugins for a coffee maker if that coffee maker used plugins
Old 09-30-2014, 12:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by upscaps View Post

They will code plugins for a coffee maker if that coffee maker used plugins
Is that the one George Clooney advertises?
Old 09-30-2014, 12:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Olhsson View Post
My understanding from finally reading the studiorack manual is that when it's in input mode, you are not monitoring using core audio, ASIO or HDX at all. The only latency is 40 samples in the server plus your converters and that of any plug-ins being used in studiorack. Many of the waves such as SSL are zero in native.

The buffer setting in Pro Tools 11 only applies to tracks that are set to input. When using a studiorack, those tracks completely bypass that buffer so its setting is completely irrelevant. There's also no reason to not run studioracks that aren't being used to record on the host and not the server. Virtual instruments that don't run on soundgrid are the only situation where the buffer setting would matter.

PT 11 does not work at all like TDM. People are comparing apples to oranges by comparing HDX or studiorack to TDM.
If you're not using the HDX then how can you monitor the effect on the HDX? That would mean that it would pass the output of the HDX effect to the cpu so it passes through the outputs to the digigrid to be processed and then back to the pc? Sounds like that would add more delay in fact.

Wave-T.com
Old 09-30-2014, 12:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emcha_audio View Post
If you're not using the HDX then how can you monitor the effect on the HDX? That would mean that it would pass the output of the HDX effect to the cpu so it passes through the outputs to the digigrid to be processed and then back to the pc? Sounds like that would add more delay in fact.
I think Bob meant buffer setting applies only to tracks NOT on input... those tracks would be on playback and are affected by the host buffer in native. But you don't notice this because you are not performing/ recording those tracks in realtime. When using digigrid in IO mode WITH HDX, when it comes to plugins, it is simply a hardware processor that has a plugin that can control it.

When using digigrid in SGP mode, HDX does not apply at all. it is not in the equation, you don't use it. The DLS connects directly to the Mac via ethernet.

If this doesn't clear it up, then I'm not quite sure what you are asking.
Old 09-30-2014, 01:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Olhsson View Post
I misread Bob's post... what he is saying is correct as he was referring to input outside of the StudioRack plugin.
Old 09-30-2014, 05:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by studioj11 View Post
I think Bob meant buffer setting applies only to tracks NOT on input... those tracks would be on playback and are affected by the host buffer in native. But you don't notice this because you are not performing/ recording those tracks in realtime. When using digigrid in IO mode WITH HDX, when it comes to plugins, it is simply a hardware processor that has a plugin that can control it.

When using digigrid in SGP mode, HDX does not apply at all. it is not in the equation, you don't use it. The DLS connects directly to the Mac via ethernet.

If this doesn't clear it up, then I'm not quite sure what you are asking.
That's the thing, you're supposed to be able to use the sgp in conjunction to HDX Hosting plugins on the HDX and hosting plugins on the SGP. What happens in in the effect chains you use to track, you got a couple of plugins on the SGP and on the HDX simultaniously on the same track that you have record enabled on?

Wave-T.com