Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 11-26-2009, 01:28 AM

Default Re: So It's Official? Legacy Hardware Is Dropped??

Quote:
Originally Posted by JFreak View Post
as your cards are PCI you're going to have to upgrade the cards first and the cost of a host computer comes extra
You don't exactly have to upgrade the cards, Magma chassis is there and it works very well. I have the feeling that when the new cards come (some day it will happen), PCI-X and PCIe cards will have the same trade-in value, so I have avoided that "upgrade" and went the Magma route (and am happy with that).
Old 11-26-2009, 01:31 AM

Default Re: So It's Official? Legacy Hardware Is Dropped??

Quote:
Originally Posted by JFreak View Post
If you already had PCI-express cards I would've said "don't wait, just buy the cheapest MP out there" but as your cards are PCI you're going to have to upgrade the cards first and the cost of a host computer comes extra -- if I was in your pants, I would keep using the G5 as long as it works (who knows there are new cards available before it dies...)
I'm wondering if there ever WILL be new DSP cards now. Perhaps Digi are trying to keep the current HD line going until Macs/PCs are fast enough to make them redundant, maybe with some sort of PCIe card for I/O.

Quoting the blog from the OP:
Quote:
...Our source says that because of Pro Tools code upgrades bowing next year, the 8 core is your best bet. The new code promises more efficient PT operation on multi-core native DSP and the more cores you have, the bigger difference you’ll see in system performance.
So... faster 12 core Macs, more efficient code in PT (with Logic's level of DSP efficiency?). Maybe the future isn't HD mkII but SuperRTAS ?

Once again, my money is staying in my pocket until all this pans out.