Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools M-Powered (Win)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 02-26-2009, 02:12 AM

Default Waveform display issue

I don't know if it was already a similar thread to this issue posted earlier. Here is a problem: when recording vocals and instruments I get large waveforms that go out of the tracks frames. Such waveforms are usually a case when the signal is too hot and overloaded, but in my case it even doesn't come higher than 0db and I don't hear any distortions or clipping in the sound. My card is Profire610, but I don't think that it can be a soundcard issue. My PT8 version is up to date. Maybe there must be done something with a tracks view in Edit window, but it looks pretty strange.
Old 02-26-2009, 03:44 AM

Default Re: Waveform display issue

maybe you have pressed the 'make waveforms larger zoom button' i dont know its real name but its in the zoom controls at the top right of the screen, to the right of the mode selectors grid/spot etc. Try clicking the down arrow on the waveform one and see if this helps..

I'm not sure if this is the answer but could be one possibility!
Old 02-26-2009, 05:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sagas View Post
I get large waveforms that go out of the tracks frames.
Pretty strange. Sure you´re talking about Protools? Please post a picture of that? I really have to see it!
Old 02-26-2009, 06:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by woodpigeonblue View Post
maybe you have pressed the 'make waveforms larger zoom button' i dont know its real name but its in the zoom controls at the top right of the screen, to the right of the mode selectors grid/spot etc. Try clicking the down arrow on the waveform one and see if this helps..

I'm not sure if this is the answer but could be one possibility!

Thank you very much woodpigeonblue, it seems that I really pressed that button several times:) By the way, what is the true default view of the waveform, is it the max. zoom out?
Old 02-26-2009, 07:41 AM

no worries sagas, i dont know what the default zoom is unfortunatley. maybe you could work this out by startiing a new session, recording some audio, taking a screen shot and check what level it is at by counting clicks down or up from the maximums? however, theres probably an easier more sensible way..
Old 02-26-2009, 08:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by woodpigeonblue View Post
no worries sagas, i dont know what the default zoom is unfortunatley. maybe you could work this out by startiing a new session, recording some audio, taking a screen shot and check what level it is at by counting clicks down or up from the maximums? however, theres probably an easier more sensible way..
It seems that from the max. zoom out it is 3 levels up, at least this was my count when starting a new session and recording some vocals, but I can be wrong here. I wonder if this information is explained in any PT manuals. Anyway, the new PT8 is great and much more friendly, especially in editing area:)
Old 02-26-2009, 11:50 AM

Double click on the zoom icon to change back to default
Old 02-26-2009, 12:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dj_grimmace View Post
Double click on the zoom icon to change back to default
OK, thanks.