Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Mixing > Avid S1, S3, Dock and Control App
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 06-29-2021, 12:35 PM

Default Avid Dock Occasional Jittery Fader Automation

I just bought a new Dock, and I've been having a strange intermittent issue with the fader automation that I'm trying to troubleshoot whether it's a hardware problem or a software/network weirdness I can fix on my end.

Every once in a while (not often, but usually once or twice a day at seemingly random), when I try and write a fader move it writes EXTREMELY jittery automation, almost as if the fader were being jerked up and down very rapidly across the arcs of the automation (Screenshots attached).

My finger is making a smooth movement, but I can watch it write really jittery and the breakpoints it leaves behind are a mess. But if I undo and re-write the fader automation it writes totally normally the next time. It seems randomly intermittent so far.

I'm trying to figure out if it's a hardware sensor/fader issue, or if there is something in my network perhaps that's causing the information packets to occasionally freak out. I've got a case open with Avid Support on the issue, but I thought I'd post here as well as sometimes the responses here are faster.

System info below:
Pro Tools 2019.6.0
Mac OS Mojave 10.14.6
EUCON Version 4.7.4.10
Eucontrol Version 2020.11.1.10
Dock Firmware 20.10.1

I've got the Dock alongside an S1 going into a TP-Link 8-port gigabit desktop switch (model no TL-SG1008D), going directly into ethernet port #2 on my 2013 model Mac Pro (the trash can model).

I'm also running RedNet for my R1 controller connected to a RedLine 16, but that is not on the same switch as the Avid units, that's connected to the main router going into ethernet port #1 on the Mac Pro.

Has anyone else had any experience with this issue?
Old 06-30-2021, 07:31 AM
Avid

Default Re: Avid Dock Occasional Jittery Fader Automation

There are some major improvements to the Fader firmware in the 21.6 release. Please update and then install the firmware and report back.
Old 07-01-2021, 05:29 PM

Thanks Eddie, I will download and update to the newest version and report back if the jittery-ness persists.
Old 07-02-2021, 06:25 AM

Hi

Looks like we have a similar problem. In touch mode the volume does change will riding the fader but no automation point is registering, it write just one point at the end when releasing de finger!

OSX: 10.14.6
Pro tolls Ultimate: 2020.12.0.190
Eucon: 4.7.4.10
Eucontrol: 2020.11.1.0

@Eddie Jones, you are talking about 21.6 of Eucontrol ?

Thanks
Old 07-02-2021, 09:38 AM
Avid

Try 21.6 but this might be a faulty physical fader. Its sending touch but no values. It also could be a network issue.
Old 07-02-2021, 11:49 AM

When I've had that happen, the fix was just to turn off/on the Dock.
Felt like a network communication error that was resolved by that.

(this is a rare occurrence)
Old 07-07-2021, 01:27 PM

Just to update here, I updated EUCON to the current version and updated the firmware on the dock and it seems to have fixed the issue.

I *am* still seeing occasional jittery red lines when the automation is being written, same as before, but they do NOT actually write the jitters anymore, the automation is clean and accurate when I hit stop as it's supposed to be, even if I do see the red lines jerking downward on occasion still as the automation lines are being written (screenshot attached). But it doesn't appear to actually write or hold the down jerks, it looks just like a graphical glitch now and isn't actually capturing them anymore. So far all this week I haven't had any problematic automation written and things seem to be working well.
Old 07-07-2021, 01:31 PM

Also, I wanted to say thank you Eddie for replying on here. The support case I opened on 6/28 is still sitting there as 'Case in Queue' and hasn't been seen or responded to, so I appreciate the response on here
Old 07-08-2021, 08:05 AM
Avid

Can you tell me the case number?