Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Pro Tools

Old 03-25-2021, 10:52 PM

Default PT 2021... Catalina? Or Big Sur?

Speaking strictly about ProTools performance, which OS is working better with PT? It might be a bit early to ask, but I'm sure the Big Sur population is growing quickly.

I'm currently on Catalina, and it's working, so I'm in no rush to upgrade, unless you convince me that B.S. is a marked improvement.
Old 03-25-2021, 11:52 PM

Default Re: PT 2021... Catalina? Or Big Sur?

I've only had a few minutes to run PT 2021.3 in Catalina and a day to run PT2021.3 in Big Sur, but both seem to run about the same (performance wise) for me as 2020.12 in Catalina. I had a few applications that I was holding off upgrading until I went to Big Sur, which was being held up because of Protools. So I was anxious to upgrade everything as soon as PT 2021.3 included certified Big Sur compatibility.

If you don't have a compelling reason to upgrade to Big Sur, you should hold off to let the dust settle first. There might be a big issue that has yet to be discovered but will appear in the next few days or weeks. It will also give plugin developers more time to update their product to Big Sur compatibility. Obviously, if you have a project in progress, don't make the change before completing. As always, have a good working backup/clone before proceeding to upgrade either the OS or Protools.

Mac Studio M1Max - 64GB
MacOS 14.3.1 running Protools 2024.3
Old 03-26-2021, 12:15 PM

Oh I'm definitely not itching to upgrade, but I do still get CPU spikes -- the only major source of stress when building sessions in PT -- and I can't help think that a cleaner and more modern OS will help sweep away some of these issues. To that point, however, these spikes could very well be coming from plugins that need optimization, so it's wise not to put them into a newer OS as that may only increase the odds that they'll play spike ball.

If someone says, "oh yeah, I'm sensing a smoothness with Big Sur that I've not sensed in years" then I'll reconsider a more immediate upgrade. Otherwise, I'll just keep asking the question.
Old 03-26-2021, 12:41 PM

Yes I agree. A plugin that is not working well in Catalina will probably do worse in Big Sur (further distance from point of compatibility). We were waiting on Avid for Protools certified compatibility, now the waiting is for the plugins.

Mac Studio M1Max - 64GB
MacOS 14.3.1 running Protools 2024.3