Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Win)

Old 12-12-2015, 03:22 PM

Default 003 rack as a mic preamp for a webcam?

Is there a way to use the digi003 rack like a microphone preamp that can act as the microphone connection for a webcam?
Old 12-12-2015, 04:18 PM

Default Re: 003 rack as a mic preamp for a webcam?

Nope, there is no direct mic preamp outputs and no built-in stand-alone mixer in the 003.
Old 04-22-2017, 10:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmaulz View Post
Is there a way to use the digi003 rack like a microphone preamp that can act as the microphone connection for a webcam?
Actually, there is. Probably too late for you, but maybe it will help someone else.

I just did it on my 003 Rack with Windows 10. Just set up input #1 as you normally would for recording, then select "Digidesign 003 Rack Analog 1/2" as your mic input in your webcam software and you're good to go. Remember to set the Playback Engine HW Buffer size as low as possible (64 in my case) to minimize latency.
Old 04-22-2017, 11:01 AM

So lots of details may matter here. And some care with naming.

The 003 has no preamp inserts so you cannot use it as an outboard preamp.

The 003 does not have a stand-alone mode so you cannot say use it as an outboard mixer and input S/PDIF into a computer.

And that does in the question if "like a preamp" is to be believed literally.

But sure you can use the 003 as an *interface* but then its an interface not a preamp, and you may need to use the audio/headphones output on that depending on your software. And you cannot aggregate the 003 using coreAudio if you are on a Mac, which some software might require if you wanted to use a different output.

Last edited by Darryl Ramm; 04-22-2017 at 03:45 PM.
Old 04-27-2017, 08:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darryl Ramm View Post
So lots of details may matter here. And some care with naming.
No doubt - I'm pretty bad at always knowing the right names for things.

Quote:
The 003 has no preamp inserts so you cannot use it as an outboard preamp.
Well I know it has a mic preamp (with phantom power), so maybe I just don't know the exact definition of "outboard preamp". It has an analog mic input. You can also configure it (inside the Pro Tools app) to have an analog output.

Quote:
The 003 does not have a stand-alone mode so you cannot say use it as an outboard mixer and input S/PDIF into a computer.
Agree that it does not work stand-alone, but since the OP and I are using it with our webcams, the PC is already on so it's no problem running PT as well.

Quote:
And that does in the question if "like a preamp" is to be believed literally.
I guess. But that seems like a mighty fine point when the question is "Can I use the 003 rack as a preamp for a webcam?"

If you want to do it the easy way (003 powers your mic, amplifies its signal and then converts it to digital so it appears as a digital input that you can easily select as the input for your video recording), the answer is "Yes, it works great and it's not that hard to set up".

If you want to do it the hard way (don't launch protools, expect the mic output to be on an analog output that you can then find some other way to digitize and get to your webcam), then yeah, the 003 isn't a good choice.

Quote:
But sure you can use the 003 as an *interface* but then its an interface not a preamp,
I think using it as an interface was the question the (similarly pedantically-challenged) OP intended.

Quote:
and you may need to use the audio/headphones output on that depending on your software.
I was pleasantly surprised to find out I didn't need to do that! In the past I wanted to send audio from the 003 to my PC digitally and the only way I could figure out how to do it was using S/PDIF. Maybe it's a new feature of PT or Win 10?

Quote:
And you cannot aggregate the 003 using coreAudio if you are on a Mac, which some software might require if you wanted to use a different output.
Good point - I'm looking at this from a Windows 10/Pro Tools 12.4.0 perspective only.