Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Hardware > Pro Tools HDX & HD Native Systems (Win)

Old 01-17-2018, 12:45 PM

Default Re: mobo's with perfect HD/HDX compatibility? Win10 cubase multicore issue also with

As someone who has built and supports a lot of 8 core and up systems, I have never seen anything like this with Pro Tools. The problems seem to be more specific to their integration with Windows and Asio.

pro-tools-pc.com

TRASHER Pro Tools Utility(updated 3-6-18)

HD Native, Avid 16x16, Eleven Rack, Focusrite Clarett 8preX, UA Quad Apollo TB.

Intel I7 9900k
Win 10
Old 01-17-2018, 01:27 PM

Default Re: mobo's with perfect HD/HDX compatibility? Win10 cubase multicore issue also with

I run HDX on an i7 3930k Hex Core in a Gigabyte x79 mobo. Runs all day every day with the latest Pro Tools builds. (Hyperthreading on)

Formerly hobotom

Pro Tools Ultimate 2024 HDX Hybrid
HD Omni and 192 I/Os
Windows 10
Intel Hexcore i7
All Samsung Pro SSDs
Ampex MM1200 2" 24 trk tape
Outboard: UREI, Eventide, Lexicon, Yamaha, TC Electronics, Orban, ART, EchoAudio, Dolby, Hughes, API, Neve, Audio Arts, BBE, Aphex, Berringer, MOTU, dbx, Allison, etc.
Plug-ins: Too many to talk about.

www.metrostudios.com
Old 01-17-2018, 03:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TNM View Post

However, Cubase uses 2 threads per process so to speak so it's doubled.. which is why steinberg have a fix so that anyone with over 14 logical cores will use the fix and tell cubase not to use more than 14 (which in steinberg's case is using the maximum 28).
Maybe I'm slow but why can't you use a 14 core. If 28 threads is the limit, seems like a 14 core machine will work just fine.
Custom Build CPU, HDX 1, Omni, 192 I/O Digital
S6 M10 24 fader
Satellite Mac Pro, HDNative, 192 I/0
Black Magic HD Extreme
Old 01-18-2018, 06:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brandonx1 View Post
Maybe I'm slow but why can't you use a 14 core. If 28 threads is the limit, seems like a 14 core machine will work just fine.
You are not slow, you are simply misunderstanding.

Windows 10 no matter what edition can't use more than 32 processor threads in total for one instance of an app. But it reserves four for windows stuff, so that leaves 28.

Theoretically that would mean someone could buy a 14 core processor with hyperthreading, which would make it 28 logical cores, and that would work fine.

The bit you are missing is though that with Cubase, "Cubase schedules two MMCSS threads per CPU core whether real or virtual".

Therefore, an 8 core processor, is 16 logical cores, a ten core is 20 logical cores. But in cubase, that would be 32 for the 8 core, and 40 for the 10 core cause cubase uses 2 threads per core. Make sense?

This is why I am trying to find out if pro tools works the same way.

All those that use 6 cores processors, I appreciate your input but there's no need, really.. I know 6 cores will work, even if pro tools DOES have the "issue", as 6 cores is 12 logical cores, and in worse case if pro tools schedules two threads per core, then it's 24. Still well under the 28 limit.

It's only 8 cores and above I am worried about.

So specifically those with 8 core chips with hyperthreading ON, so, 16 logical cores, is what I need to know.

Cheers
Old 01-18-2018, 06:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by guitardom View Post
As someone who has built and supports a lot of 8 core and up systems, I have never seen anything like this with Pro Tools. The problems seem to be more specific to their integration with Windows and Asio.

With hyperthreading enabled? Pro tools native does use asio on windows.. I won't be able to go HD for a while after paying 6 grand for a computer, so i'll be subkect to Asio.

I found quite a lot of topics around the web last night of the issue in fact happening in PT, with one thread cpu spiking like crazy on large multicore systems, which is basically the problem I am concerned about.

I'll keep digging and I'll just ask avid, does pro tools schedule two mmcs threads per logical core. I'm sure someone there can answer me.

OTOH i am just tempted to buy the 8700K and be done with it, since i know it will work perfectly.. and in that case i'd definitely overclock to 4ghz permanently which is meant to be like baby steps for that processor.. and strong singe core performance is great for stuff like Kontakt.. Maybe that's the way to go.

I guess my lust for the 10 core comes from a POV in my mind where i am telling myself it would have enough power for me for the next decade, which it would. It was futureproofing more than anything.. I am sure that 6 cores will be enough.

So i will start asking some other important questions...

How are peeps using PT vanilla or PT HD native, finding low latency performance on windows 10?
Old 01-18-2018, 09:03 AM

Quote:
I'll keep digging and I'll just ask avid, does pro tools schedule two mmcs threads per logical core. I'm sure someone there can answer me.
Someone there most likely can, someone here most likely can't. They are not the same statements.
D-Command Main Unit - 'Ole Blue

http://www.sknoteaudio.com/ plugins rock and are affordable.
Old 01-18-2018, 10:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by YYR123 View Post
Someone there most likely can, someone here most likely can't. They are not the same statements.
yes but hearing from people with real world experience with big multicore setups on windows 10 is still very worthwhile info and what i *really* need when it comes down to it.

Unless i am misunderstanding, so far i am only getting reports from either HDX users or 6 core users..

i really need to hear from someone using either hd native or vanilla and is running 8 or more hyper threaded cores, so 16 logical cores or more.

cheers
Old 01-18-2018, 10:18 AM

What I meant was...

You said I’ll ask Avid. But Avid doesn’t hang out here, just users. Especially anyone with Avid who would be able to parse down the question (All Respect Jeffro)

So if you want to ask Avid that’s fine - I just didn’t want you to think that you would be to get ahold of them here.
D-Command Main Unit - 'Ole Blue

http://www.sknoteaudio.com/ plugins rock and are affordable.
Old 01-18-2018, 11:13 AM

Quote:
With hyperthreading enabled? Pro tools native does use asio on windows.. I won't be able to go HD for a while after paying 6 grand for a computer, so i'll be subkect to Asio.

I found quite a lot of topics around the web last night of the issue in fact happening in PT, with one thread cpu spiking like crazy on large multicore systems, which is basically the problem I am concerned about.

OTOH i am just tempted to buy the 8700K and be done with it, since i know it will work perfectly.. and in that case i'd definitely overclock to 4ghz permanently which is meant to be like baby steps for that processor.. and strong singe core performance is great for stuff like Kontakt.. Maybe that's the way to go.
I guess my lust for the 10 core comes from a POV in my mind where i am telling myself it would hav
e enough power for me for the next decade, which it would. It was futureproofing more than anything.. I am sure that 6 cores will be enough.

So i will start asking some other important questions...

How are peeps using PT vanilla or PT HD native, finding low latency performance on windows 10?
People around here complain about the "center core" spiking on 4 core systems and every other system and the same issue on Mac/OSX. There is ways, plugins, and system problems that force this to happen that have nothing to do with what you are concerned about. As I said, I do this all the time, far more than anyone else here and I have never seen anything like it. Yes hyperthreading is enabled.

The 8700k runs at 4.7Ghz without overclocking. Makes 0 sense to run it at 4Ghz.

Latency is fine on Windows. Just like Macs, your audio interface driver is the biggest determining factor. Your posts seriously read like someone who is trying to talk far to high above their paygrade....

pro-tools-pc.com

TRASHER Pro Tools Utility(updated 3-6-18)

HD Native, Avid 16x16, Eleven Rack, Focusrite Clarett 8preX, UA Quad Apollo TB.

Intel I7 9900k
Win 10
Old 01-18-2018, 11:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by YYR123 View Post
What I meant was...

You said I’ll ask Avid. But Avid doesn’t hang out here, just users. Especially anyone with Avid who would be able to parse down the question (All Respect Jeffro)

So if you want to ask Avid that’s fine - I just didn’t want you to think that you would be to get ahold of them here.
oh yeah i got what you were saying, 100%, and thank you kindly!

I just meant that it's still worthwhile to get that other bit of info from users, as it is for me to start an official support request with avid.

No matter what they say, real world results are still as important to hear from others, if not more so!

I think we are on the same page. Cheers :)