Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac)

Closed Thread

Old 08-02-2002, 09:44 AM

Default Re: The Daily Adventures of Mixerman

You guys are so quick to discount MM's adventures. Which makes me think those discounting it, have never worked in a real studio.

I have seen stuff like this happen with my own 2 eyes. I have worked on sessions like this. They happen. All the time. I have numerous first-hand stories about well-known "producers', who are wankers, and get the gigs because of who they know. And then play video-games all day long while the band is recording. And as MM put it in his recent post, it's a lottery. They do enough of them, and sooner or later one hits.

It happens. And labels wonder why the industry is going down the ****ter.

Living the dream.
Old 08-02-2002, 09:51 AM

Stuff like this happens all the time. That's the gig. All it tells me is that Mixerman doesn't like his job, in fact hates it, which explains a lot of his behavior.
Old 08-02-2002, 10:03 AM

I think he just doesn't like THIS job. And I can see why.

Living the dream.
Old 08-02-2002, 10:32 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by slangification:
Stuff like this happens all the time. That's the gig. All it tells me is that Mixerman doesn't like his job, in fact hates it, which explains a lot of his behavior.
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">So, you are saying hanging out in the studio doing nothing and getting paid for it is something to aspire to, and wish for?

Or going in there and making records with momentum and joy, like it can, has and should be...

Maybe you like to sit on your ass and get paid for nothing, but I would be bored to tears, and more than pissed off.

What explains your attitude and assumptions?
Old 08-02-2002, 10:54 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by loudist:
So, you are saying hanging out in the studio doing nothing and getting paid for it is something to aspire to, and wish for?

Or going in there and making records with momentum and joy, like it can, has and should be...
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">LOL. Well, it seems Mixerman is learning that making high budget records with bands that were the subjects of bidding wars with high profile producers is rather often not exactly the realm of "making records with momentum and joy." No, I think if Mixerman were in it for the joy of it, he would be taking smaller projects he really believes in where he likes the people and has more control of the decision making process.

Quote:
Originally posted by loudist:

Maybe you like to sit on your ass and get paid for nothing, but I would be bored to tears, and more than pissed off.

What explains your attitude and assumptions?
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">What I like to do is either a) find a way to make peace with my own situation, or b) motivate myself to find a way to get myself into situations that I like better. I've never found complaining and insulting the people I'm working with to help.

It sounds to me like Mixerman wishes he were Producerman, and his shrink would probably counsel him to use unhappy situations such as the one he's currently in to drive him to take the steps necessary to begin making that transition.

That said, his diary is still an entertaining read.
Old 08-02-2002, 11:01 AM

"And then play video-games all day long while the band is recording."

Leave Jerry Finn outta this.
Old 08-02-2002, 02:20 PM

slangy (no offense),

This is not our friend MM's first big time project, and yes he does exactly what you so intuitively suggest, about working with smaller projects, as a matter of fact the core of this band were one of those very projects a few years ago.
This could have been one of those gigs where everything could have been Deluxe. Great gear, great vibe, , great songs, great performances.
So far, it seems that only the first great is fullfilled. The rest is not going to happen easily. MM even mentioned that because of the drummer's inadaquacies that a PT rig will have to be involved. Some are under the false impression that he hates using PT... he just hates having to.
Who knows... maybe it will be an HD rig, and if it is sonically improved over a mix24 to him, then I am sure he will say so, he is quite honest you know.

Who knows how this will pan out... maybe he will end up being ProducerMan.

Ever see the film "Still Crazy"?
This is sort of reminding me of that film.
Old 08-02-2002, 02:31 PM

hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha...
i love that stuff , MIXERMAN hits the nail on the head . even if it isnt funny at all , its the truth ... can the truth be funny ???
has the story already ended ??? wheres the rest , or is it in " real time " ??? <-- am i stupid ???
not 2 blame somebody , i guess anyone whos ever been in a situation like that loves that stuff .
anyone who doesnt may think ... what an ***** .
but i bet he isnt , dont blame somebody in fact of telling his thoughts <-- who else is doing it ???

anyway , who is mixerman ???

MOREMOREMOREMOREMORE
Old 08-02-2002, 05:10 PM

I think it's really lame of the producer to pull this "holding out for a contract" at the last minute.

It's his responsibilty to get his contract together BEFORE he books studio time. Maybe he wants his firends who own the stduio to be able to keep billing, because they have nothing else going on. Whatever happened to accountability. If I was the bands management, I would be taking all the costs of this week out of the producers paycheck, for not showing up.

Living the dream.
Old 08-02-2002, 05:14 PM

It's definitely Jerry Finn. [img]images/icons/rolleyes.gif[/img]
Closed Thread