Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)

Old 01-25-2002, 01:08 PM

Default Re: Thoughts on the Future of the 001...and Apple

Hmmmm...I'm not so sure that Apple & Digi are partners either. With OS X coming out with integrated MIDI support (this is GOOD!) but also integrated hi-quality (we'll see...) integrated multi-channel audio i/o, that will totally change the way all Mac DAWs, including Protools (DP and Logic, also) will eventually work on a Mac. I understand that OS X will also provide a "standardized" plugin format to compete with the DirectX format from Windoz. Well, so much for 2x the price on TDM plugins..

Digi is about to introduce "Digidesign Time Stamping" for it's upcoming midi interface - this will have a product life of about a year - unless there is something better about it than what will be integrated into OS X. The hardware may survive, but the drivers will HAVE to become OS X native.

If the most espensive part of what Digi is doing becomes integrated into the OS (TDM buss), then TDM as a plugin format as well as DAE as an audio engine, have a limited lifespan.

Of course, none of this stops Digi from charging $12,000 for ProControl and $10,000 for an entry-level HD system, but it will change the way hardware interfaces with the Mac.

Just another $.02...

PT 2021; MacBookPro M1; 16GB; Spectrasonics; Native Instruments, Toontrack, Waves...too many plugins.
Old 01-25-2002, 01:47 PM

I have no idea what their exact relationship is, but I thought Digidesign was considered a major development partner, much in the same way Adobe is. Of course, I could wrong, and both companies are really seeking world domination!
Old 01-25-2002, 02:14 PM

My prediction: I'm waiting for my DP3 upgrade to ship in (it should be there in 2 or 3 days) ...I'm tired of waiting for 001's improvements(Altivec/Dual support) that won't come !
Today I was working on this mix where I needed lots of plugs and...BANG...CPU related message (increase..., blahblahblah, I'm already all the way up !). DIGI should INCREASE innovation; I sure can't increase my CPU usage anymore...
Old 01-25-2002, 04:02 PM

I think we're partly seeing the result of Digi's limited resources. They have a small group of engineers responsible for:

TDM, LE, Free, HD on Mac and Windoze and they're trying to get them to work with XP and OS X while dealing with the current OSes.

MOTU has DP on the Mac only and I think there's only 1 version. I was blown away by it at a demo this Fall. I couldn't believe what it was doing on a TiBook with the 828. I'm not sure, but I think it's Altivec enhanced as well. Digi isn't.

Digi also doesn't like to tell us anything. Keeping customers guessing too much and too long is really bad.

Jamie
Old 01-25-2002, 04:28 PM

Oh sooo much doom and gloom. Do you remember Tascam's portastudio cassette format that cost $1000.00? Just stop and think for a moment about what you can do on a 001 system. It is simply amazing. I believe with OSX's open source code, some dark horse is going to jump in and steal the show. Things will get better, faster, cheaper, easier and more fun. Who cares who presents us with the product. It will come. And surely be awesome. Just sit back and enjoy the ride. The real question is...why are wasting time here, when we should be recording right now.
Old 01-25-2002, 09:32 PM

Viva Le Dark Horse! LOL You know a patch to get the 001 working with osx would have been cool. In classic I mean.
A comparison between Adobe and Digi is pretty significant.- as regards apple. OSX like PT is still in the wings - I wonder why? I predict a Xp version before an OSX version. If you think about it, thats a new segement they have yet to hit as well as they could. Who Knows, back to compiling drum tracks.....
Old 01-25-2002, 09:58 PM

This might be old news to some of you, or it might just be total bull****. Two producers at my studio who heavily follow macs and digidesign tell me Apple is about to buy Avid Technology. Like i said I don't know if this is total crap, or maybe i'm just the last one to know.
Old 01-26-2002, 12:05 AM

Default Thoughts on the Future of the 001...and Apple

While the advancement of host-based processing may not be such a good thing for TDM/HD sales, it *is* good for Apple sales. Unfortunately, with the leading Mac interface, the 001, being stuck at 24 tracks, etc., it doesn't exactly provide much motivation for people to continually upgrade to faster computers, which is *bad* for Apple sales.

Personally, being able to run 32 tracks with plenty of plugs would give me a good reason to get the latest/fastest Mac, but if things remain as they are, and the 001 is at the end of the line, I see no reason to but a new Mac.

I think if Digi is going to be Apple's digital recording partner of choice, then they need to grow the 001 program on pace with Apple so they can *both* sell more products.
Old 01-26-2002, 12:48 AM
Administrator

did someone have a little too much to drink tonight, or is the ritalin all gone?
Old 01-26-2002, 12:59 AM

Are they partners really? I think they may become competitors if apple should choose to release a "imusic" digi killer app. But who knows. The real questions are: Can digi reinvent the wheel? And #2 Can apple get the proccesor speeds up to truly overshadow a need for outboard hardware.

My prediction: Apple will end up moving away form the ppc architecture, due to motorollas inability to keep up with the technology or production of faster chips.
Digi will end up alienating its user base by not offering backward compatability, and shutting out peripheral developers (plug-ins), and also by embracing PC technology as a means to eliminate the apple host based threat.

In the end a new king fo the hill will emerge. apple may still be in thegame in 5 years, but only if the produce some "killer" apps.

Digi sadly seems to be having trouble rewriting its core program to utilize OSX, since its seems to have teken them so long and yet no word of a release date or a list of new features. By the time they get around to it I think it will be too little to late. At which point an emagic or whatnot will sweep in and lambast the industry with a quick takeover. Think "the death of tape II". or they can readdress what has become there new core user base ( the actual growing market segment, the home studio owner) and get on the ball with hardware and software. With the release of HD who's features nobody really asked for, but yes there nice, sans firewire, theyve made it clear an intention to attempt to dominate a very different market than what they started out with. Overall its been dissapointing the lack of response from Digi aside from pad form letters, which simply show a company with no real answers. Apple is about as bad when it comes to cluing the public in on its new technology and release structures. One of these days the will discover the value of open communication.