How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Licensing & Accounts

Old 03-30-2015, 02:06 AM

Default Sorry but Subscriptions is a Bad idea

Hi
I have Pro Tools 11 and I didn't like Subscriptions ,
I can't pay $200 every year , i am home user .
So I thinking now to leave the Pro Tools in the feature and starting with Logic it cost $200 forever , and they use your Subscriptions in there advertising .
Really , My opinion : Subscriptions its bad idea and you will lost more costumer whom can't pay $200 every year ( like me )
hope you change it to regular price for home user
Thanks
Hattom
Old 03-30-2015, 04:22 AM

Default Re: Sorry but Subscriptions is a Bad idea

Me too. Highly considering switching to reaper with the pro tools skin/mod. Too bad avid.
Old 03-30-2015, 05:33 AM

As a logic user it's not $200 forever. They no longer have upgrade pricing. You get "." updates free but the next major Logic update will cost another $200. Good thing is Logic only does major updates every three to five years

LE users should grab Logic in a second. Do a monthly rental of LE if you need to do transfers.
Old 03-30-2015, 05:44 AM

I do not see any difference. Just like you updated to 11 (I assume) you can "update" to PT12 and stop there. During the year Your Subscription is valid you will get all updates (including New function and bug fixes) After you subscription period is over you can use Your Version of PT12 for the rest of Your life and still get bug fixes if they are released (just like there has been bug fixes for both V. 10 & 11 during the past year).
ASUS X99-E, Intel Core i7-6850K, Noctua NH-U9S, Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 2133MHz 16GB, Samsung 960 EVO 250GB M.2 PCIe SSD (System), Samsung 850 EVO 500GB 2.5" SSD (Data), Samsung 850 EVO 1TB 2.5" SSD (Sample), WD Desktop Black 1TB 3.5" (Audio), Gigabyte GeForce GTX 1060, Corsair RM750x 750W, Samsung 34" LED Curved, Windows 10 Pro 64-bit, Lynx AES16e, Aurora 16, Cakewalk by BandLab, Pro Tools 2021
Old 03-30-2015, 05:50 AM

D,ont forget, if you DO NOT PAY the 199 after the year is finished if you want a new version you have to pay 899 full price for the new version. At this time no other Daw,s are like that.
Old 03-30-2015, 05:58 AM

Seriously, if ProTools isnt worth it to you, use another DAW. It's not a complicated decision.
Old 03-30-2015, 06:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Panacci View Post
D,ont forget, if you DO NOT PAY the 199 after the year is finished if you want a new version you have to pay 899 full price for the new version. At this time no other Daw,s are like that.
That's not true. You can start a new monthly subscription at $29.99/mnth or $199/yr
Old 03-30-2015, 06:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wall2Wall View Post
That's not true. You can start a new monthly subscription at $29.99/mnth or $199/yr
Do not confuse subscription and support plan. If you do not renew your support plan for $199/year you're left with 2 options: a $360/year subscription ($29.99/month) or you buy the complete package for $900 (and you have to get on the support plan, that's another $199/year if you want future upgrades).

Here's another exemple: Digital Performer 8 was released in 2012, I paid $150 for the upgrade. DP9 is going to be released this year, 3 years later. I will pay $150 for the upgrade. 3 years later.

The fact that "big houses" don't mind paying Avid for their new support plan doesn't change the fact that Avid asks for an unresonable amount of money. PTHD is even more problematic.
Old 03-30-2015, 07:13 AM

I don't mind the $200 yearly fee if I see that I am getting something in return and not just phone support that I've never used on the half dozen plus DAW products that I have used over the last twenty years.

And I'm not going to buy a lot of over priced hardware that is locked into one product just to get some basic features. I'm not against hardware (I have a UAD quad and a UAD single processor).
Old 03-30-2015, 07:20 AM

Subscriptions are a good idea for some. There are people who may not need Pro Tools year round, so instead of having to layout the full MSRP of $899, they can get it for a month for $29.

As has been pointed out, if you are on a Support Plan or get on a Support Plan for $199, that license is Perpetual... meaning you can use it forever. You will just need to re-up your plan or subscribe if you want further updates after your current plan expires.

The $199 price tag is in line with previous Pro Tools upgrades, however because of the old system, each new version would be packed with new features. This new system is, just that, new. So don't be so quick to write off Pro Tool just yet. You may find that $199 per year to stay current turns out to be about the same price when you factor in the new features that are coming, and the fact that features no longer have to be held back until a major new release.

The Subscription Price per month is $29, or you can Subscribe for a year for $299. Don't confuse the Support Plan with the Subscription. The Support Plan gives you PERPETUAL Licenses for $199 per year.

Here is the price sheet
http://www.avid.com/US/products/pro-...ware#licensing

Give the new system some time before making your final decision. PT12 has only been out a week.

Windows 11 Pro | macOS 12
Pro Tools 2022
benonistudio.com
Youtube Channel - benonistudio
Plugin Deals
@benonistudio