Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools M-Powered (Win)

Old 10-17-2009, 07:26 PM

Default I bought mpowered 7.4 with free upgrade to ver 8. HOW DO I UPGRADE

I am sorry for sucha newbie question. Can anyone point me in the right direction>>>

I also cannot find boom drum machine in my version 7.4. How do I find the drum machine?>???
Old 10-17-2009, 08:14 PM
Administrator

Default Re: I bought m oowered 7.4 with free upgrade to ver 8. HOW DO I UPGRADE

From the Pro Tools 8 link at the top of the forum...

www.digidesign.com/support/pt8
Quote:
Customers who purchase and register, from an Authorized Digidesign Dealer or Authorized M-Audio Dealer, any new Pro Tools M-Powered boxed version with Pro Tools M-Powered 7.4 or lower included on or after October 3, 2008 will receive an upgrade to Pro Tools 8 at no charge.

* Your new Pro Tools M-Powered purchase must be registered in order to qualify for this upgrade.
* You can register Pro Tools M-Powered online using the registration card included in the box with M-Powered.

Registered owners that meet the above requirements should receive an email from Digidesign Customer Service with your Activation Code and details on how to activate and download your free upgrade. Except during peak periods (such as the when a new upgrade is first released), these emails normally go out within 24 hours of when you register your qualifying product.
Boom is one of the new plug-ins included with Pro Tools 8.
Old 02-21-2020, 04:22 AM

What if I have a downloaded version of PT MP 8.0.3 from the Digidesign secured download site and simply need a license to upgrade my registered version of PT MP 7.4?

I would like to add that my purchase of PT MP 7 was quite a few years ago, so I obviously don't have the original box or the card, but I do have the authorization number that was given to me when I reconnected with you all a couple of years ago. Could that be sufficient?

Last edited by Servon; 02-21-2020 at 08:17 AM. Reason: Additional information
Old 02-21-2020, 01:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Servon View Post
What if I have a downloaded version of PT MP 8.0.3 from the Digidesign secured download site and simply need a license to upgrade my registered version of PT MP 7.4?

I would like to add that my purchase of PT MP 7 was quite a few years ago, so I obviously don't have the original box or the card, but I do have the authorization number that was given to me when I reconnected with you all a couple of years ago. Could that be sufficient?
You dragged up an 11 year old post about 13 year old software, so you have some things to think about:
1-what OS do you use now?(software that old is not likely to run on any recent computer)
2-what interface are you planning on using?(MP software only works with M-Audio hardware and drivers are as old, and not very good)
3-if you NEED Pro Tools, I would recommend moving to a much newer version(and skip the MP version(which ended with ver. 9) and just get the regular version of Pro Tools).
4-Remember that whatever version you choose needs to be compatible with your OS
5-re MP7.4 to MP8.0.3, the authorization is done with iLok(and I'm not sure that the current version of iLok manager is going to work in any "older" setup)
6-if you just want to make music, Cuckos Reaper is very capable and dirt cheap

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave
Old 02-21-2020, 04:18 PM

Default Re: I bought mpowered 7.4 with free upgrade to ver 8. HOW DO I UPGRADE

Thanks for your response. I used this post because it spoke to my need the best. Yes, my system is old. I prefer it that way because it is very stable and reliable. I don't make any money doing this, I do it purely for the love of it. consequently, I don't have the kind of money to put into newer bigger and better. I run Windows XP SP3, with XEON X3360 quad core I've been running PT MP 7.4cs10 with Pro fire 2626 as my interface since it first came out. I find now that I have a need for more tracks hence the reason for wanting to move to PT MP 8. I understand there may be some challenges, because everyone is moved on to bigger better and Grander.
My ilok manager seems to be working just fine with my current system. If this is not doable I get it. but remember , for almost 13 years or better I have been using the same system, for the exception of my processor which I recently upgraded, so if you can suggest a way around the potential issues that doesn't require an arm and a leg I would be so grateful. Thanks again for your time patience and consideration!

I did however checked iLok and they have legacy iLok manager support for my system. So how do I go about getting a license for upgrading to PT MP8?

Last edited by Servon; 02-21-2020 at 06:53 PM. Reason: researched info