Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 01-10-2000, 04:47 PM

Default Burning CDs

How is everyone burning cds? Are you buying
MasterList separately, or does software included with burners seem to work OK?
Also, what CD recorders are being used?
I have a G4 and was told I would have to get an external one. I guess a burner won't fit in the second bay (made for Zip)?
Old 01-10-2000, 07:09 PM

Default Re: Burning CDs

I don't think that there is cd burning included with the digi001. I bought mine at the end of November, and it didn't come with burning software. I have, though, been using Jam and Toast. I have a Sony 4x8 cd writer and it works fine. Look at the compat. docs for MasterList, and the other supported drives for other software at the developers site.
Old 01-11-2000, 06:21 AM

I've been wondering this too. I did not order masterlist with my system because the burner I've ordered comes with Toast, and some other software. Do I have to have Masterlist?
Old 01-11-2000, 11:22 AM

If you have a recent copy of Toast, you can burn CD audio just fine. You need to make sure it's in the "Track-at-Once" mode so that it writes the whole disk without any interruptions. My copy can do that (3.5.x). You just don't have much flexibility.

Toast doesn't give you some of the features of other programs like MasterlistCD ($495), Jam ($295), or Waveburner ($199). I'm going to be trying out Waveburner, since it does most (or all) of what MasterlistCD does at only $199 retail.

The programs above allow different types of crossfades and adjusting the relative levels between the tracks as well as precise timing between the tracks (PQ editing). You really need one of the above if you want your CD to really be seamless and pro-sounding.

However, I've burned many a demo on Toast.

------------------
Larry W.

PT 2021; MacBookPro M1; 16GB; Spectrasonics; Native Instruments, Toontrack, Waves...too many plugins.
Old 01-11-2000, 09:21 PM

Jason

I just installed a Plextor CDR on a G4/350 in the internal bay off a a 2940 SCSI card two weeks ago with MLCD 2.2 and the system works great. The main difference between Toast and MLCD besides MLCD having many more features and versatility is that MLCD burns a Red Book compatible CD that can be taken to any duplication facility for mini to massive copies. Toast does not do this but does make a good demo copy or one offs as Iwilliam states.

Brad
Old 01-12-2000, 01:17 AM

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Arial,Helvetica,sans-serif">quote:<HR>Originally posted by Techsupt2:
Jason

I just installed a Plextor CDR on a G4/350 in the internal bay off a a 2940 SCSI card two weeks ago with MLCD 2.2 and the system works great. The main difference between Toast and MLCD besides MLCD having many more features and versatility is that MLCD burns a Red Book compatible CD that can be taken to any duplication facility for mini to massive copies. Toast does not do this but does make a good demo copy or one offs as Iwilliam states.

Brad
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

hey dude, I just got a plextor and mlcd 2.2 also but I cant get the thing to work. did you ever have it say that a disc was not inserted when it was and it also tells me that the disc is not blank, any suggestions?

Old 01-13-2000, 04:50 PM

Can anyone take me through a step by step that will get my mix from pro tools 5.0LE to my CD burner? I am using toast 3.5.7 and I have bounced it to a sound designer II 16 bit stereo interleaved file. I deposit it an various forms and I get an audio track that looks and plays like an audio track from a cd, but this only occurs on my mac--not on a normal stereo. I'm sure I'm just missing something, so thanks for the help.
Old 01-14-2000, 11:19 PM

Jim, you HAVE to run the "Disk at Once" audio mode or you'll get errors and it will only be readable on the burner (nowhere else). Make sure you do a verify and that it writes the table of contents.

I also have the 3.5.7 version of Toast that I've been using when burning audio. In my earlier post, I mistakenly said "Track at Once".

Using Toast's "Disk at Once", I've had 500 CDs run off for a client at a duplicator and no one complained. I played them through my car's CD player, my boom box, and my Sony stand-alone CD player. They all seemed to play just fine - both the CDR and the pressed CD. Maybe I've got an exceptional burner (Yamaha 4416)?

I had read somewhere that Disk at Once wasn't introduced until toast 4.0. Obviously, the reviewer didn't acknowledge exactly which version got the "Disk at Once", but only that 4.0 had it.

I'm still going to try one of the higher-end CD burner software packages for the flexibility they offer in adjusting relative levels. Toast is definitely a basic tool of the trade, however.

Some of the new features seem interesting, but I have something that works and am not dying for any of those features. I'd rather not take the chance at this time especially with your recent experience, shaggy.

BTW, I've got an Orange Micro Ultra-SCSI that seems to work fine for my burner in my G4 Sawtooth. Hopefully yours isn't a Yosemite problem.

------------------
Larry W.

[This message has been edited by lwilliam (edited January 14, 2000).]

[This message has been edited by lwilliam (edited January 14, 2000).]

PT 2021; MacBookPro M1; 16GB; Spectrasonics; Native Instruments, Toontrack, Waves...too many plugins.
Old 01-20-2000, 04:02 PM

OK. I am getting closer, but this seems to be the problem:

I recorded and audio track from an artist CD and it worked in my truck. I think I really need to know how to take my mix from the digi-001 and turn it into an audio track that is just like one that would come from an artist's CD. Thanks again for the help.

JD
Old 01-20-2000, 10:33 PM

I've got a LONG aiff file that I now want to drop index (program) numbers into before I burn the CD. Does anyone know how to do this with Toast or Jam (or something else)??

Many thanks,

BJ Leiderman