Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 10
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 10-21-2011, 04:36 AM

Default Re: Protools 10HD upgrade to from 9 is 999.99 ..... WHY

Quote:
Originally Posted by psmworld View Post
this for an outdated Accel-system? please tell me why?... absolute nonsense.
Not sure why you think so? You get the software update you desire for less $$, and if you have any problems or questions about the new features, you're covered. This program has been around for a long time - our video customers take advantage of it all the time.

I guess if you're going to replace your hardware system in less than a year, that might be a reason not to do this with your current rig. I have to confess, I don't see a downside otherwise.
Old 10-21-2011, 04:43 AM

you don´t want to see it as an avid rep, and i understand that.

but i won´t upgrade hardware nor software and i know many will follow.

if hd accel would be supported for at least 2 years and the next big pro tools upgrade comes within the 1 year-frame, the contract deal is fine. but that´s not the case, as the next pro tools version will not work with HD Accel.

it´s still double the amount of the regular update. the new features are not worth the price, even on 599,-

i don´t need tech-support, as i´m a techie in every single way.

Old 10-21-2011, 04:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheesehead View Post
Wouldn't it have been refreshing to come on the DUC and see everyone saying what a great company the new Avid are?

How they priced the HD10 software upgrade for HD TDM users so sympathetically, because of the massive investment they had made over the years in a system which is now obsolete.

Don't get me wrong TDM was finished, but I just want to be shown a little love.

I would have paid $350.00 and probably still grumbled.

But this.... Noooooooo!
Agreed. Plus it would be nice if we could be discussing the new features not the new price.
Old 10-21-2011, 04:48 AM

it should scare also HDX-interested guys.

they won´t like how loyal customers (every update since 7.2 here) are getting milked in the end.

Old 10-21-2011, 04:53 AM

I agree, 999 is really steep and I'm typing this while playing out to tape on my HD v8.05...so its more like 1500 or something to go to 10.

I think its a case of evolution rather than revolution. While the clip gain and audiosuite improvements would be very useful in post, I think we'll stick with v8 or go to v9 for now and then do the big upgrade to 64bit v11 with new interfaces/cards bundled in and put the then unsupported blue boxes and software into a 2nd room.

It also sounds like they've done a fair amount of the 64bit groundwork with this v so hopefully they are over the hump and we might get it in another 12-16 months or so - praise must be given to Avid for getting on with the change (even if it is a bit belated)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philthy View Post
I do not understand people's need to upgrade all the time. Don't you have better stuff to do with your time and money?
+1000 - I say this every bloody time Apple release a new mac and everyone gets in a frenzy...its technology, you ain't ever gonna beat it.
Old 10-21-2011, 05:00 AM

+1

http://www.arthanor.com
Old 10-21-2011, 05:00 AM

I know everyone is till feeling the sticker shock for the upgrade. . . . including me. But the one thing beyond that is the price to upgrade all of our TDM plugin's to AAX. And to me that just makes the new Pro Tools model just out of the question. Avid if they had any common sense for the existing user base should of sold this upgrade for a song. This way we wouldn't mind the additional cost factor to upgrade all of our TDM plugins to AAX. That is assuming that the third party plug in companies will have a cross / upgrade path. IMO Avid should have really thought this one through. . . . . especially for existing loyal customers.
Joe
Old 10-21-2011, 05:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soundtrack2life View Post
I know everyone is till feeling the sticker shock for the upgrade. . . . including me. But the one thing beyond that is the price to upgrade all of our TDM plugin's to AAX. And to me that just makes the new Pro Tools model just out of the question. Avid if they had any common sense for the existing user base should of sold this upgrade for a song. This way we wouldn't mind the additional cost factor to upgrade all of our TDM plugins to AAX. That is assuming that the third party plug in companies will have a cross / upgrade path. IMO Avid should have really thought this one through. . . . . especially for existing loyal customers.
Joe
A concern I'd have on this is if you can get a bundle license with the new aax along with your existing RTAS/TDM ones (like you do with current pts upgrades) in case you have to go back to v7/8/9 sessions
Old 10-21-2011, 05:09 AM

One other thing. . . .unlike previous incarnations of Pro Tools when digital recording was in it infancy. The current HD systems for the most part are still very functional. So for many of us there is nothing that is driving us to upgrade. Personally I am very happy with my PT9HD rig right now. That is another reason I think AVID should of thought about the upgrade pricing a little more. This way it would have enticed us to make the change. FWIW change is difficult enough but with the pricing for PT10 I think they just made the decision a whole lot easier for most of us. . . . . . . . .
Joe
Old 10-21-2011, 05:23 AM

[bleep][bleep][bleep][bleep] AVID! Seriously. I am so pissed off that I they want $999 from me because I am an early adopter of PT 9HD. If I had upgraded just yesterday I would be getting 10HD for FREE after paying only $349 for a 9HD upgrade from 7.3HD.

How does that make sense?

Avid is greedy.