Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 2018
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 08-19-2018, 12:18 PM

Default trim tool question

Protools question of the day. Why does the trim tool sometimes affect the entire track, and other times only affect the region the tool is over? This question applies to the edit window when an audio track is selected to read something other than waveform, such as volume, mute or pan.
Old 08-19-2018, 10:41 PM

Default Re: trim tool question

I'm pretty sure that's by design. If I use the trim tool on a blank area of a track with no clips or automation, it raises or lowers the value for the entire track, but if I select an area over a clip, it changes the values only for the clip.

Pro Tools 2024.3
Focusrite LS56
Focusrite Pro40 (3)
Slate Digital VRS8
Analogue Tonebuss 24 Channel
UAD-2 OCTO Core Accelerator
UAD Volt 2
macOS 10.15.7
32 GB DDR4 RAM
4.01GHz Quad-Core Intel Core I7
NVIDIA GeForce GT 740 2 GB
Old 08-22-2018, 10:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cwsand View Post
I'm pretty sure that's by design. If I use the trim tool on a blank area of a track with no clips or automation, it raises or lowers the value for the entire track, but if I select an area over a clip, it changes the values only for the clip.
hmm, this has not been my experience. Over a clip, I've seen the trim tool behave both ways, causing frustration on my end because I now need to either use the grabber or selector tool first. There has to be some operation that causes the trim tool to behave one way or the other. Does anyone else have any ideas on this??
Old 08-22-2018, 11:21 AM

The best way to make sure the whole track is affected evenly is to use the trim tool at the end of the track, beyond any clip or automation point. Anywhere else, you're likely to affect only part of the track, or to cause an unintentional angled line somewhere.

Apart from that, the rules are a bit obscure. You just have to watch carefully and see if it's doing what you want.

PT 2023.12 Ultimate | Clarett+ 8Pre | macOS 13.6.3 on a MacBook Pro M1 Max
PT 2023.12 | Saffire Pro 40 | Win10 latest, HP Z440 64GB
Old 08-22-2018, 11:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by joeydego View Post
hmm, this has not been my experience. Over a clip, I've seen the trim tool behave both ways, causing frustration on my end because I now need to either use the grabber or selector tool first. There has to be some operation that causes the trim tool to behave one way or the other. Does anyone else have any ideas on this??
Depends if there are breakpoints anywhere else in that track.

Easiest way is to get used to using the multi tool (so you can select and then trim.) If there are breakpoints within the selection, it will affect the section between breakpoints. If there are no breakpoints, then new breakpoints will be created at the selection start/beginning and everything in between will move evenly.
Old 08-23-2018, 01:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by daeron80 View Post
The best way to make sure the whole track is affected evenly is to use the trim tool at the end of the track, beyond any clip or automation point. Anywhere else, you're likely to affect only part of the track, or to cause an unintentional angled line somewhere.

Apart from that, the rules are a bit obscure. You just have to watch carefully and see if it's doing what you want.
There is nothing in the manual I found on this. I really wish they made this clearer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BScout View Post
Depends if there are breakpoints anywhere else in that track.

Easiest way is to get used to using the multi tool (so you can select and then trim.) If there are breakpoints within the selection, it will affect the section between breakpoints. If there are no breakpoints, then new breakpoints will be created at the selection start/beginning and everything in between will move evenly.
I like the smart tool. Only issue there is as you know if you're a few pixels off, it changes to what you dont want it to be.
Old 08-27-2018, 11:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by joeydego View Post
There is nothing in the manual I found on this. I really wish they made this clearer.
Not to mention that it changes a bit every few versions. They like to keep us on our toes.

PT 2023.12 Ultimate | Clarett+ 8Pre | macOS 13.6.3 on a MacBook Pro M1 Max
PT 2023.12 | Saffire Pro 40 | Win10 latest, HP Z440 64GB
Old 08-27-2018, 04:43 PM

Make the track your editing in larger so you have more room to move the cursor before it changes. There is a setting that will enlarge the track you're in and make the other tracks smaller, but I'm not at PT right now and can't remember what it is.
SonoBus
Source-Connect: brucehayward
Options for Remote Direction