Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 12

Old 02-24-2018, 01:49 AM

Default Re: Pro Tools Complete Midi CC# Chart

Hey guys and girls,

I haver a question about this. I have built a portable setup and want the smallest controller thinkable, I have the Griffin bluetooth now to control my protools for clip gain (just a s short-cut) but now I would like to have it control my selected fader up and down. I managed to get the fader jump in a position with an apple script controlling MIDI Pipeline to the protools M-Audio MIDI controller settings in Pheripherals.

Problem is, I can just set the fader in a certain fixed position depending on the value in the apple script. It will not move up and down from its previous position (like you want a controller to behave

This is the command for down:

tell application "MidiPipe"
MIDISend toPort "MidiPipe AppleScript Input" withData {176, 34, 1}
end tell

and the one for up:

MIDISend toPort "MidiPipe AppleScript Input" withData {176, 33, 1}
end tell

Thanks so much team!!

Ciao,

Arjen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acidstorm View Post
To Control PT12 with my generic Midi Controler....
i have setup a list with all the CC# used and free and found some Dead CC#

i thought i will share the list so you can see what CC# are free to programm with your plugins side a side to the Transport Control:
(Setup Descriped at the end)

Pro Tools Complete Midi CC# Chart

Free Programmable CC# : 75 (0-11,16,25-32,42-48,58-63,65-73,79-108,112,119)
Pro Tools Fixed CC# : 39 (12-15,17-24,33-41.49-57,109-111,113-118)
Dead CC# (Not working) : 14 (64,74-78,120-127)

CC# 0-127 =

CC# 0
CC# 1
CC# 2
CC# 3
CC# 4
CC# 5
CC# 6
CC# 7
CC# 8
CC# 9
CC# 10
CC# 11
CC# 12 – mute selected track
CC# 13 – solo selected track
CC# 14 – move bank left
CC# 15 – move bank right
CC# 16
CC# 17 – Pan knob 1 (incremental/endless)
CC# 18 – Pan knob 2 (incremental/endless)
CC# 19 – Pan knob 3 (incremental/endless)
CC# 20 – Pan knob 4 (incremental/endless)
CC# 21 – Pan knob 5 (incremental/endless)
CC# 22 – Pan knob 6 (incremental/endless)
CC# 23 – Pan knob 7 (incremental/endless)
CC# 24 – Pan knob 8 (incremental/endless)
CC# 25
CC# 26
CC# 27
CC# 28
CC# 29
CC# 30
CC# 31
CC# 32
CC# 33 – Fader 1
CC# 34 – Fader 2
CC# 35 – Fader 3
CC# 36 – Fader 4
CC# 37 – Fader 5
CC# 38 – Fader 6
CC# 39 – Fader 7
CC# 40 – Fader 8
CC# 41 – Master Fader
CC# 42
CC# 43
CC# 44
CC# 45
CC# 46
CC# 47
CC# 48
CC# 49 – Slider Button 1
CC# 50 – Slider Button 2
CC# 51 – Slider Button 3
CC# 52 – Slider Button 4
CC# 53 – Slider Button 5
CC# 54 – Slider Button 6
CC# 55 – Slider Button 7
CC# 56 – Slider Button 8
CC# 57 – Flip button
CC# 58
CC# 59
CC# 60
CC# 61
CC# 62
CC# 63
CC# 64 --- NOT WORKING! ---
CC# 65
CC# 66
CC# 67
CC# 68
CC# 69
CC# 70
CC# 71
CC# 72
CC# 73
CC# 74 --- NOT WORKING! ---
CC# 75 --- NOT WORKING! ---
CC# 76 --- NOT WORKING! ---
CC# 77 --- NOT WORKING! ---
CC# 78 --- NOT WORKING! ---
CC# 79
CC# 80
CC# 81
CC# 82
CC# 83
CC# 84
CC# 85
CC# 86
CC# 87
CC# 88
CC# 89
CC# 90
CC# 91
CC# 92
CC# 93
CC# 94
CC# 95
CC# 96
CC# 97
CC# 98
CC# 99
CC# 100
CC# 101
CC# 102
CC# 103
CC# 104
CC# 105
CC# 106
CC# 107
CC# 108
CC# 109 – Mode button
CC# 110 – Prev track
CC# 111 – Next track
CC# 112
CC# 113 – Loop button
CC# 114 – Rewind
CC# 115 – Fast Forward
CC# 116 – Stop
CC# 117 – Play
CC# 118 – Record
CC# 119
CC# 120 --- NOT WORKING! ---
CC# 121 --- NOT WORKING! ---
CC# 122 --- NOT WORKING! ---
CC# 123 --- NOT WORKING! ---
CC# 124 --- NOT WORKING! ---
CC# 125 --- NOT WORKING! ---
CC# 126 --- NOT WORKING! ---
CC# 127 --- NOT WORKING! ---

--------------------------------

Setting up a Generic Midi controler for ProTools 12 =

1. Open ProTools and go to Setup > Peripherals > MIDI Controllers

2. Add a controller
Type: M-Audio Keyboard
To : CONTROLLER VIRTUAL IN
#Chs: 8

Here is a list of the CC#s used . You can use these values to set up other controllers or create your own scenes.

CC#

12 – mute selected track
13 – solo selected track
14 – move bank left
15 – move bank right

17 thru 24 – Pan knobs (incremental/endless)

33 thru 40 – faders
41 – master fader

49 thru 56 – Slider Buttons
57 – Flip button

109 – Mode button
110 – Prev track
111 – Next track

113 – Loop button
114 – Rewind
115 – Fast Forward
116 – Stop
117 – Play
118 – Record

=

Transport:

All transport buttons map to their corresponding buttons in Pro Tools. Play, stop, rewind, forward and record act as you would expect in in PT8′s transport window. Holding the loop button while pressing the transport keys gives more options. Loop + Play enables loop play, and Loop + Record enables loop record. Loop + Stop will undo the last action and Loop + RR or FF moves to the beginning or end of the song.

Sliders 1-8

Sliders 1-8 control the corresponding sliders in Protools. The sliders are controlled in banks of 8.8. The bank will change if you select a track outside of the current bank of 8, or if you use the change bank buttons.

Slider 9

Maps the rightmost master fader.

Pan Knobs 1-8

The knobs unfortunately are not emulated correctly. This is due to the fact the Axiom 61 uses “endless” knobs while the nanoKontrol uses absolute knobs. The knobs can reliably give settings of full left, centered or full right. Normally the knobs are mapped to pan controls, though this can change

Upper button row

1 – < Track (Previous Track)
2 – Track > (Next Track)
3 – < Bank (Previous Bank)
4 – Bank > (Next Bank)
5 – unused
6 – unused
7 – Mute selected
8 – Solo Selected
9 – Mode Button

The Mode button switches between mixer mode and insert mode. When in Mixer mode the nanoKontrol’s knobs control PT8′s mixer pan knobs. In insert mode the knobs are used to control plug in knobs or settings.

Lower Button row

1 thru 8 – Slider buttons
9 – Flip button

In mixer mode the flip button switches the use of the slider buttons between these functions:

Select track
Arm track to record
Mute track
Solo track

In insert mode, the flip button switches the functions of the pan and slider knobs.

How to control Plug ins with the nanoKontrol

Most users will probably be satisfied being able to use the transport and sliders with the basic button functions. If you would like to also edit plug in controls, you need to enable the Insertmode with the mode button. In insert mode, you can use the knobs to change the values of the plug in controls. Unfortunately though, knob emulation doesn’t work very well with the nanoKontrol. You can use the flip button in Insert Mode to switch the function of the knobs and sliders. Then the sliders will control the plug in (and the knobs will control PT mixer faders). This can get a little confusing because there are no visual indicators on the nanoKontrol to let you know the status of the Mode or Flip buttons.

Finally, if you want to use the knobs to correctly control the plug ins, I swapped the CC#s of the sliders and faders between Scene 1 and Scene 2 (Scene 3 and 4 are copies of 1 and 2).

Workflows:

To edit plug ins with sliders
1. Press Mode
2. Press Flip
3. Enable Scene 1 or 3

To edit plug ins with knobs
1. Press Mode
2. Press Flip
3. Enable Scene 2 or 4

--------------------------------------------------------------------------
Old 06-11-2018, 08:21 AM

Hi,
So iv been losing my mind here. I cant get any plugin in my PT 2018 unlimited to "learn" CC messages that aren't from 33-40.
So from 127 CC messages, AVID is limiting us to 8 of them to control a plugin?
Lets say it is limited, I cant even find a proper list of all the PT12's CC commands.
I got a few midi keyboards and I want to populate their damn knobs. I mean my novation launch control has 16, whats the point in that

Am I missing something here?
Old 06-12-2018, 06:55 AM

That won't work.

Some plug-ins (instruments) will have a MIDI learn function, allowing you to assign physical controls to virtual knobs - but otherwise it's a proprietary language, for which you need a control surface that speaks said language (Eucon / HUI / certain older Digidesign surfaces).

Some people have had a degree of luck emulating Hypercontrol, by using a Novation controller, with it's accompanying Novation MIDI remapping software.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 06-12-2018, 06:58 AM

Additionally there's the Slate Raven, which uses a layer of intermediate software (it might be possible to get hold of that intermediate software, but it could be a nightmare mapping it all).

Of course, with the above mentioned control surfaces, in addition to the default plug-in mapping, you can create your own custom maps.

Old 06-12-2018, 07:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carl Kolchak View Post
....Some people have had a degree of luck emulating Hypercontrol....
Hi Carl - I've just been hit with a dose of Synchronicity or similar with this workaround:
Ronnie Pollock has just posted "I've discovered a solution to achieve Hypercotrol functionality with Protools beyond version 10" - see the last 2 Posts:
http://community.m-audio.com/m-audio...y_button&reply

Partial quote:
"However I also discovered that if you open the application IGNITE before loading Protools then basic Hyperontrol functions become ACTIVE within Protools 12 and Ignite no longer has access the Axiom 32 Mini, freeing it up for Protools.
This method appears to trick the Axiom Mini into keeping the Hypercontrol functions active for Protools 11 / 12. "
Pro Tools Studio 2024.3 * SSL UC-1 * Digidesign Command 8 * M-Audio Axiom Pro 49 * PreSonus Speakers & Monitor Station V2 * Lenovo W520 laptop Type 4276 (32 GB RAM) with extra-Ports Dock + SSDs: 2 @ Samsung T5 + 1 @ Samsung T7 * 3 Screens: 15.6” Laptop + 24” BENQ GL2450-B + Samsung 27” CT550 curved Monitor
Old 06-12-2018, 09:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by unkJE View Post
Hi Carl - I've just been hit with a dose of Synchronicity or similar with this workaround:

Ronnie Pollock has just posted "I've discovered a solution to achieve Hypercotrol functionality with Protools beyond version 10" - see the last 2 Posts:

http://community.m-audio.com/m-audio...y_button&reply

Partial quote:

"However I also discovered that if you open the application IGNITE before loading Protools then basic Hyperontrol functions become ACTIVE within Protools 12 and Ignite no longer has access the Axiom 32 Mini, freeing it up for Protools.

This method appears to trick the Axiom Mini into keeping the Hypercontrol functions active for Protools 11 / 12. "

Interesting, I will check that out (though it sounds like it doesn't work with plug-ins, or panorama - just volume).

When I noticed I'm quoted several times in that thread, I figured it was going to be a dead end - but this at least sounds promising, in terms of adjusting multiple volume faders simultaneously, when not using a control surface.

Cheers!

Old 01-30-2020, 10:05 AM

Unfortunately, the Griffin knob is not the best choice because there's no way to get it to connect without using the Griffin software.

There's a workaround which is to open a floating fader, click in the number window at the bottom of the fader and if you have the Griffin set to scroll up/down, it will then control the fader.

My suggestion is that you get an app that allows you to program window position data and mouse clicks like Controller Mate for $25.

Then use it to set up a few things.

First a button that gives you an on off mode for the set up. I like the caps lock key because you can disable it in the Mac preferences. Plus they usually have a light.

Then when it's on, use the keyboard's driver in controller mate to disable the keypad keys.

From there map button 1 to use window location data to hover the cursor to over the floating fader button, then click with the left mouse button.

Add a short delay of 0.02 seconds and then in the floating fader window, use that window's location data to hover the cursor over the numbers at the bottom and click with the left mouse.

If you set it so that releasing the key sends the ctrl-opt-cmd-w keystroke, you can duplicate this set up across all of the buttons and as you hold a button the corresponding track's floating fader will pop up and position the cursor in the number window so that scrolling the Griffin will move the fader and this will continue as long as you continue to hold the button. Then the fader will disappear the moment you let go.

You can also toggle it if you prefer.

I'll go a little further and suggestion you use memory locations to open groups of tracks in 8-10. That way if you're looking at 10 drum faders, the keypad will map to them. When you select your guitar and key group of 8-10 faders, they'll pop up as the only 8-10 and the keypad will work for them now. It will eliminate scrolling in the mix window.

I'm also saying groups of "faders" rather than "tracks" because I prefer to mix on aux tracks. It's an analogy for a console.

When mixing on a console, your session set up is routing the tracks in protools to the converter outputs that correspond with the console channels and most people come up with a consistent layout so that instruments are always in the same place.

By using aux tracks, you can build your own "console' within ProTools.

Then you can make a session to use as a template.

I think there are advantages to using stereo auxes in all cases, but for simplicity I'll describe it using mono auxes.

Choose a "console" size. Let's say 48 channels.

Now make 48 auxes and label them like you would label a console with tape - use names and color coding and even name the inputs in the routing set up.

Use memory location points to recall groups of auxes, but assign them to a high number, like start a 101 so that auto created points don't end up changing the numbers. That will enable you to map the recall memory location keystrokes to a single key - or a pair of keys, like a modifier key + a keypad key, (and have the modifier disable the keypad while holding the modifier - this will make sense once you've set everything else up).

Now, add you default plugin chains to each aux. You can also add effects sends and returns.

What this means is that you've pre-built an entire "console" with identical or custom-to-the-instrument channel strips that's mapped to memory location points recallable with a single keystroke and then holding down a keypad key enables the Griffin knob to control the corresponding fader.

To set up a session someone has sent you for mixing, you open their session, route all of the tracks to the correct aux inputs that are already labeled in your I/O set up and then go to Import Session Data and import your console with everything preloaded and mapped. It will take about a minute to add your entire template which is way faster than building it adding plugins as you go or using track presets.

It the extra memory it uses is 48 mono axes worth, which is nothing.

Then you have the source tracks with no plugins feeding your mix "channels".

You also have the option of leaving everything they sent you inserted and starting with whatever parts work.

Getting this set up the first time will take a while. But as you develop different approaches or get new plugins, you can duplicate that session, and make the changes in a new one.

Use a session rather than a template since you have to open a template. It's far easier to work in their session and import your data.

Once this all makes sense, you can start doing things like mapping the mutes and solos to the keyboard keys (as opposed to the keypad keys) 1-8. You can even use an auto repeated and use 1 to raise fader 1 and q to lower it.

You keep track of whether your keyboard is in normal operation or your modified set up by toggling back and forth with the caps lock key and the LED cues you which mode you're in.

Here's what that looks like:
https://www.instagram.com/p/B3ggx1YATqY/

Quote:
I haver a question about this. I have built a portable setup and want the smallest controller thinkable, I have the Griffin bluetooth now to control my protools for clip gain (just a s short-cut) but now I would like to have it control my selected fader up and down. I managed to get the fader jump in a position with an apple script controlling MIDI Pipeline to the protools M-Audio MIDI controller settings in Pheripherals.

Problem is, I can just set the fader in a certain fixed position depending on the value in the apple script. It will not move up and down from its previous position (like you want a controller to behave

This is the command for down:

MIDISend toPort "MidiPipe AppleScript Input" withData {176, 34, 1}
end tell

and the one for up:

MIDISend toPort "MidiPipe AppleScript Input" withData {176, 33, 1}
end tell

Thanks so much team!!

Ciao,

Arjen
Old 01-30-2020, 10:47 AM

I have a question about "plugin select" which I think is CC 57.

I've been using the plugin cycling at 75 and the bank up and down and they all work fine. I'm pretty sure that at one point I had it working where after I navigated to the right plugin, I hit the button that sends CC 57 and it opened the plugin, but for some reason that doesn't work any more.

The only things I can think of is that CC 57 is the wrong one, or the mode or flip settings are somehow changing/disabling CC 57.

Any suggestions would be much appreciated.

Also, plugin cycle only scrolls down through the plugins. Is there an option to cycle up?