Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Hardware > Pro Tools | MTRX & MTRX Studio
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 02-05-2018, 01:46 PM

Default MTRX Sync setup with ProTools

Hi everyone,

Just a little question about MTRX Sync configuration. I understand how configuring the MTRX using the Dadman (http://akmedia.digidesign.com/suppor...uide_94729.pdf) but when Pro tools is open, the MTRX is seen as an avid interface and it is "still possible" to configure the sync setup in the session windows of Pro tools : Why ? Does this sync configuration means something when it is the dadman which control MTRX parameters ?

Supposing that I want to lock my MTRX on a Wordclock. It is locked on the dadman : Do I need to lock the interface to "Wordclock in" in Pro tools ?
Old 02-05-2018, 02:32 PM

Default Re: MTRX Sync setup with ProTools

I agree the MTRX is not as well integrated with Pro Tools as Avid's own interfaces are when it comes to clocking configuration. I would suggest that the safest advice is to make sure the sync settings are consistent between Pro Tools and the MTRX.

In case it's useful, here is how I have things configured. (My use case only requires the SYNC HD or the MTRX to be the clock master, with the default case being the latter, so this allows me to take some shortcuts.) I have the SYNC HD's Loop Sync out connected to the WC in of the MTRX; WC out of the MTRX to Loop Sync in of subsequent HD interfaces, and then looping back to the SYNC HD.

In the usual case, where MTRX is the clock master, it is the clock source in Pro Tools and is configured in DADman to use its internal clock. The sync output must be set to "Word clock, base" to participate in loop sync in this way and work at high sample rates.

When the SYNC HD is the clock master, then that is configured as the clock source in Pro Tools, and word clock is selected as the sync source in DADman (sync term should be "75 ohm", again to mirror the behavior of loop sync where each input is terminated).

This works fine and reliably for me. It's "not quite" loop sync because, when operating as a slave the MTRX's word clock output is regenerated (as far as I understand it, at least). For native Avid devices, the loop sync output is just a buffered copy of the input, when operating as a loop slave.