Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 01-28-2018, 09:34 PM

Default pt 7 and pt 10 - is "save in" any different?

Hi,

I need to convert some old sessions that have SDII audio files into sessions that I can work on in a new system [I need to have BWF audio instead of SDII audio].
I guess PT 10 is the last version that will do the conversion.

I have been jumping through all kinds of hoops, driving myself crazy, trying to figure out a way to get PT10 running on my new laptop, running High Sierra.

Yeah, I know.

I do have a full blown HD TDM rig in storage, running PT 7.3 [probably on Tiger]. I have been trying desperately to avoid using it for this task, because its a huge rig with racks and racks of stuff, and I really don't have room to set it up.

But the "procedure" for using PT 10 on my MB Pro is looking like no fun, either [and possibly not too reliable], so I am back to considering dragging my Cheesegrater Mac Pro out of storage after all. I hope to be able to boot Pro Tools without the interfaces. I could plug my new OMNI into it, and hope that it will boot.

I haven't used the TDM rig for quite a while, and I don't remember every little thing about the 7.3 software.

Does anybody know:

1. If there is any real difference in the "SAVE IN" options between PT 7.3 and PT 10, and,

2. If my 7.3 version of Pro Tools will boot [and function to do the conversion] either with no hardware at all attached, or with my OMNI attached.

Thanks,

MD
Old 01-29-2018, 10:36 AM

Default Re: pt 7 and pt 10 - is "save in" any different?

I was in a similar situation. Once the audio is converted, newer PT should be able to open older sessions(7 and up, anyway). For me, the old rig was a G4 running Tiger with HD 3. I pulled the cards(anybody want them??) and installed my old LE7.4 software with an Mbox 2 Pro. It works great

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave
Old 01-29-2018, 10:50 AM

I have a MBP that I partitioned into 2 virtual drives, one with Lion for PT 10 and one with El cap for internet and iPhone crap. I hear the trick to getting PT 10 on el cap or above is to install it on lion and then upgrade your OS.

www.sugarhillstudios713.com
Old 01-30-2018, 02:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by albee1952 View Post
I was in a similar situation. Once the audio is converted, newer PT should be able to open older sessions(7 and up, anyway). For me, the old rig was a G4 running Tiger with HD 3. I pulled the cards(anybody want them??) and installed my old LE7.4 software with an Mbox 2 Pro. It works great
Mine seems to be able to open even .pts sessions, but no audio if it was SDII.
Old 01-30-2018, 02:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by s.d. finley View Post
I have a MBP that I partitioned into 2 virtual drives, one with Lion for PT 10 and one with El cap for internet and iPhone crap. I hear the trick to getting PT 10 on el cap or above is to install it on lion and then upgrade your OS.
I'd like to make a partition with PT10, but my MBP is a 2017 model, it came with Sierra, upgraded to High Sierra. I have been cautioned about trying to boot from an OS earlier than what came on the computer, although Apple Tech Support seems to think it could be done. Problem is finding a full install copy of Mountain Lion on thumb drive.