Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)

Old 04-30-2001, 04:48 AM

Default Why do my mixes sound \"boxy\"?

I just finished mixing my newest song, Everything we knew, and I spent countless hours comparing the sound of my mix to artists/CDs I like, but even to the radio in my car or whatever I could put my hands on.

It seems to me like I mastered some of the mix process, enough so to have something intelligible, but I am far from being happy.

One of my biggest concerns is that that mix like all my mixes sound "boxy". Like you could tell they were recorded in a small cubic room. What is that? The choice of my reverb? It's quality? Too much compression? I'm lost.

I love to listen to a well mixed CD, when you get that feeling of space, presence and yet volume, clarity without effort.....my mixes always sound like everything is compacted together and fighting to be heard....

OK I'll stop my whining. Tell me if you have the same problem, and more importantly if you had the same problem and found a way to avoid it???

Thanks. You can listen to the mix by clicking on the link below, it's the first song on the page.

------------------
David.

6am eternal

[This message has been edited by Kickin.da.speaker (edited May 16, 2001).]

6am eternal
Old 04-30-2001, 08:56 AM

Default Re: Why do my mixes sound \"boxy\"?

I WASNT able to stream ur new song but i have heard some of your other work and its pretty good musicly. But the mixes where a lil rough. Some songs i think had too much effect's on it. Sometimes your lead vocals would disappear into the mix and on some the vocals sounded a lil muddy. My advice is turn up your main vocal dry and run reverb on the background voices... now my question how long did it take for your songs to get approved i just signed up on friday and sumitted a song but still nothing. fill me in
Old 04-30-2001, 08:57 AM

I WASNT able to stream ur new song but i have heard some of your other work and its pretty good musicly. But the mixes where a lil rough. Some songs i think had too much effect's on it. Sometimes your lead vocals would disappear into the mix and on some the vocals sounded a lil muddy. My advice is turn up your main vocal dry and run reverb on the background voices... now my question how long did it take for your songs to get approved i just signed up on friday and sumitted a song but still nothing. fill me in
Old 04-30-2001, 09:44 AM

"Boxiness" CAN be an EQ-related problem. Try using an EQ on the master fader which cuts the band from 250-400hz a few dbs. That's usually the "boxy" area. Note that that is also the area where the vocal could get too thin, so you may need to compensate by re-mixing. Keeping a separate submix for ALL instruments and another for vocals will help you carve out the frequencies with the instruments that can make it sound boxy - but still leave room for vocals.

------------------
LW

PT 2021; MacBookPro M1; 16GB; Spectrasonics; Native Instruments, Toontrack, Waves...too many plugins.
Old 04-30-2001, 10:25 AM

"all my mixes sound "boxy". Like you could tell they were recorded in a small cubic room."

EQ is not a substitute or a cure-all for a good room. A room set aside for recording in your home is nothing more then a room and can never be compared to a proper studio. If you want to avoid that "boxy" sound, record at a proper studio...stay out of the box.
Old 04-30-2001, 10:26 AM

Well, i don't know if this is sounding boxy or not, but i can tell you that in my monitors sounded very well. I'm impressed also by the fact the you use a lot of limiting and your mix doesn't seem to suffer, how do you do it ?

Maybe i would support the fact that vocals are some inentelligible. But you have my respect...

Old 05-01-2001, 12:40 AM

"SM58 stuck to my mouth."

Back away from the mic...you are causing proximity effect.

You can also try doubling (tripling?) your vocal and spreading it out a little.

[This message has been edited by PeeTee (edited May 01, 2001).]
Old 05-01-2001, 12:43 AM

search-one
Thanks. I believe this track has the vocals more raw that the other songs you've heard.
If you subscribed to their $20/month "Premium Artist Service", approval is less than 48Hrs usually. Otherwise you could be stuck waiting for 2 weeks.

Iwilliam
Thanks for the EQ tip, I will try that. I am now using one tip you gave me on this board a few months back, which is to put 3 or 4 compressors in a row for the vocals to have that "MTV HIT" sound. I like it a lot!!!

PeeTee
I understand what you are saying about a good studio but the only thing I recorded live are the vocals, on a SM58 stuck to my mouth. So I don''t really believe anyone can hear the space I work in on my recordings, I think it's more the artificial reverb's I'm using!

Thanks OgnKog

So do you guys think my vocals should be a tad higher? They seem so loud to me already...but then again I'm european

6am eternal
Old 05-01-2001, 01:43 AM

Iwilliam
... I am now using one tip you gave me on this board a few months back, which is to put 3 or 4 compressors in a row for the vocals to have that "MTV HIT" sound. I like it a lot!!!

[/B][/QUOTE]

I missed that one... ...seem VERY interresting - could any of you guy´s please link this thread?
VI: Reason 8, Ivory It., Trilian|Omnisphere, VG2/RealGuitar, Kontakt6|GPO, Goliath|Gypsy|Fab Four, Candy, Structure, EZdrum, BIAB Audiophile
Hardware: TLM49|TLM103, SPL Track One, TC M-One, Artist Contr.v2|Transp|3xMix
Old 05-01-2001, 05:41 PM

First, find out if the "boxy" tone is actually the sound of your room.

Then keep in mind that every time you do a vocal overdub, you are adding more "room tone" each time. In other words, a lead vocal and two backing vocals will have three times the "boxiness" of a single voice.

The compression is adding to this problem. As it flattens out the vocal dynamics, the compressor brings up the low-level room tone, and as you chain the compressors together, the room tone gets louder.

The quickest and cheapest way to dampen the room tone is to hang a few layers of towels and blankets behind you when you sing. (To stop the sound from bouncing back into the microphone) Use a cardioid pattern mike. If this is still not enough you can hang two pieces of clothesline and make a little tent with you and the vocal mike inside...

Only as a last resort...

SC

When the machine produces tranquillity, it's right.
---Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance