Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 12

Old 02-13-2016, 04:01 PM

Default Keyboard Controller not working with instruments

I'm totally new to Pro Tools. When I create an instrument track and assign one of the plug-ins such as Mini Grand or DB 33, I can play by clicking the mouse but not using my M-Audio Keystation 49e Controller. I tap the keys and get no sound. What am I missing here?
Old 02-13-2016, 06:55 PM

Default Re: Keyboard Controller not working with instruments

First, make sure the instrument track is record enabled.

You need to make sure your Keystation is enabled in Pro Tools. Go to Setup>MIDI>MIDI Input Devices. Make sure your keystation is enabled.

You also need to make sure you have your MIDI input to the correct instrument. So, go to View>Mix Window Views and sure there's a checkmark next to "Instruments". Then go to your mix window.

You should see an Instruments section at the top of you Instrument track. The first dropdown menu can say "All" if you only have one MIDI device connected. The second dropdown menu should say the name of the Virtual Instrument you're trying to use. If it doesn't, select the dropdown menu and go to Instrument you want and select Channel 1.

Hopefully that gets you up and running.

Mac Pro (2013)
3.5GHz 6-Core Intel Xeon E5
32 GB Memory
OS X 10.12.6

PT 2018.1
Old 02-14-2016, 03:46 AM

Thanks Kyle
All set up and keyboard working. Sometimes still getting no sound but I think that's just my speakers which may need replacing.
Old 02-14-2016, 06:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dezst View Post
Thanks Kyle
All set up and keyboard working. Sometimes still getting no sound but I think that's just my speakers which may need replacing.

I good way to see if your speakers are the problem is to watch the meters in pro tools. If you see signal coming from an instrument track but don't hear it, you know you have a setup issue.

Also, test you speakers with different material (not pro tools). That way you don't replace them for no reason.

Mac Pro (2013)
3.5GHz 6-Core Intel Xeon E5
32 GB Memory
OS X 10.12.6

PT 2018.1
Old 08-24-2017, 06:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by strangepumpkin View Post
You should see an Instruments section at the top of you Instrument track. The first dropdown menu can say "All" if you only have one MIDI device connected. The second dropdown menu should say the name of the Virtual Instrument you're trying to use. If it doesn't, select the dropdown menu and go to Instrument you want and select Channel 1.
I was just having the issue and this is what fixed it for me. Previously, I never had to manually select a channel like that. Any idea why suddenly it's not automatically selected?
Old 08-25-2017, 05:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ergalthema View Post
I was just having the issue and this is what fixed it for me. Previously, I never had to manually select a channel like that. Any idea why suddenly it's not automatically selected?
Are you asking about PT12 or PT11 (what's in your sig file)? I know in PT11.3.2 I sometimes have to have the 'instruments' view showing in the Edit screen and select the vi and MIDI channel. This can happen if you move the vi that was on the insert slot to another track and use a different vi; the instrument track's MIDI will still point to the old vi that is now elsewheres.

QAPLA!
Old 08-25-2017, 06:18 AM

Quote:
did or does the Midi input selection go away after a Restart ?? this was an issue but i think it has been resolved, maybe it came back ..

or maybe i am reading this wrong and you are looking for the Default THRU preference ?? where as soon as you choose a midi / instrument track it will play even if not Rec Enabled ..

cheers john

Macbook Pro july 2014 2.5ghz 16gb ram 512gb SSD - OS11.6.5 - PT 2021.3
Logic Pro X 10.7.4
RME BabyFace Pro
Old 02-22-2018, 08:47 AM
bowlingotter

Quote:
I just had this same problem and was dumbfounded until I found this thread. I had an instrument track with DB-33 loaded up, no problems with the MIDI keyboard controlling it. A track next to it with Serum wouldn't respond to the keyboard at all. I added the Instrument view in the Mix window and sure enough, no instrument or channel assigned there. I hadn't run in to this before today. PT 2018.1

Maybe it's because Serum has 4 channels available for input whereas DB-33 only has the one? Either way, I'm definitely glad to have come across this thread!

Last edited by bowlingotter; 02-22-2018 at 09:03 AM.
Old 02-22-2018, 09:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bowlingotter View Post
I just had this same problem and was dumbfounded until I found this thread. I had an instrument track with DB-33 loaded up, no problems with the MIDI keyboard controlling it. A track next to it with Serum wouldn't respond to the keyboard at all. I added the Instrument view in the Mix window and sure enough, no instrument or channel assigned there. I hadn't run in to this before today. PT 2018.1

Maybe it's because Serum has 4 channels available for input whereas DB-33 only has the one? Either way, I'm definitely glad to have come across this thread!
Do you have 'use first selected track' set in PT's prefs? The number of channels in a vi has nothing to do with this. You're talking about two instrument tracks right?

QAPLA!
Old 02-22-2018, 02:35 PM
bowlingotter

Quote:
Originally Posted by musicman691 View Post
Do you have 'use first selected track' set in PT's prefs? The number of channels in a vi has nothing to do with this. You're talking about two instrument tracks right?
Got it - I think that was it. Thanks!