Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > General Discussion & Off Topic > General Discussion
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 12-14-2003, 05:30 AM

Default Re: Let\'s hear your latest stuff....right here

Man....there's some awesome sounding tunes here!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Who needs an TDM or HD system when we got our trusty LE's!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Seriously!
Thanks for listening Roy!!! Hey I heard one GraceJames' latest....that guy can RIP!!!!!!!!!
Old 12-14-2003, 05:35 AM

Default Re: Mac Mixes!!!!!!!!

Losttime that tune reminds me of .38 Special!!!!!! Pretty cool!
I'm gonna kick back and listen to more Mac Mixes this morning!!!
Old 12-14-2003, 02:38 PM

RIDE (Blue Flame Cruisin)
Old 12-14-2003, 08:26 PM

Quote:
This is how it feels to me to ride a Harley...
Haven't you posted this before?.... I still like it.... I can just see ya ridin that hog.......

zzZZZZZOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO OOOOOOoooooooooooooooooooommmmmmmmmmmmm........... ....

Old 12-14-2003, 08:57 PM

Yep, Jeff...I posted it once unfinished, then went back and added some solo stuff yesterday...remixed, and got it out of my system.
Old 12-15-2003, 04:35 AM

Hi Gorilla,

Checked out the "Lost Time Studio" song "OutLaws Forever." It rocks! But, now i have a question that you might be able to help me with, please. As I listen to submitted mixes I notice that some are louder than others. When I do a mix in PTLE I can apply a limiter on the Master fader before bounce down and raise the quiter sounds up to the point that all dynamic range is gone. This will make the mix much louder (like OutLaws Forever). If I do not use a Limiter and just bounce the mix as it is(with all tracks recorded as hot as possible and the master fader up as much as possible without clipping) the result is a quiter (not as loud at the same setting on the volume knob), but dynamics are intact. It seems the difference is the unLimited mix causes the listener to have to turn up there stereo player more to match the volume of a song like Outlaws.. Is this so bad? When all tracks are loud, hard driving guitar, bass and drums it may not be such a big concern for dynamic range and the applied limiting (or whatever else is used to boost the db). It also appears to be the "trend" to make mixes as loud as possible for the "Radio Wars." I just want to make sure I am not overlooking something in my procedures. If it can be louder and preserve the dynamic range i would like to know how. Thanks for your time and opinion!
See "RUNAWAY" @ http://www.theevolutionband.com/thee...musicpage.html
Old 12-15-2003, 08:19 AM

yeah Roy

I thought I was hearing more stuff than last time I heard it.

you da man
Old 12-15-2003, 08:42 AM

Hey there, Sir archtop...haven't heard from you in a while...those boys keeping you busy?
Old 12-15-2003, 09:46 AM

Hey Ping Pong your tune "Runaway" sounds great!!! I wouldn't worry about your MP3's volume, if you take your mixes to a Mastering engineer I know they can give you more volume and keep most of those dynamics!! It's kinda like a trade-off ....more volume less dynamics..more dynamics...less volume. I guess many of us are trying to find the ultimate middle spot ...LOUD and DYNAMIC!!
There's many ways to raise up volumes than just the limiter...>.>..comps/EQ's....

The "Outlaws Forever" tune was done by Perry and Losttime Studios
Old 12-15-2003, 12:54 PM

Default Re: Here\'s mine

Gorilla and others -- Thanks for the comments about the Outlaws Forever song. Gorilla -- I am interested in how you do your drums, I am looking for a new way to do them. I previously used a Boss DR 770 drum machine, but am limited by a stereo mix and unbalanced outs. I have recently been playing with loops and one hit samples in Live 3.0. I am looking for other options where I can ultimately put the bass and snare on seperate tracks etc. Battery doesn't seem as viable as it could be since it a pain in the butt to get individuals outs. Thanks.

As far as the mix loudness on Oulaws Forever. First, you want to get the signals as hot as possible "on tape" without distorting. When recording, be sure you see a plenty of yellow on the faders. When mixing, get the drums as loud as possible w/o distorting even if you go over 0 db and then balance the rest of the instruments accordingly. Don't look at the numbers on the faders go by ear as to what sounds right. I put a Bombfactory 1176 compressor (it came with my original Digi 001 factory) on the singer's voice to get it to cut above the mix. Finally, I strapped, across the master faders, a Waves C4 (3b setting) and then a Waves L2 with the limiter set a -1db and the threshold set at about 7.