How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 9
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 07-05-2012, 06:51 PM

Default Problem trying to use inserts on MBox Pro

Hello,

I have been trying to connect my outboard compressor and effects unit using an insert cable into my MBox Pro's insert jack. When I attempt to insert this in the mixer I receive a message stating the output is already in use. I have read the users guide etc but can't seem to solve this problem.

I would really like some advice on how I can use my hardware during mixing. My knowledge of the I/O setup in Pro Tools 9 is limited so any guidance would be a real life saver!

Thank you for your time and consideration.

Jamie
Old 07-05-2012, 10:43 PM

Default Re: Problem trying to use inserts on MBox Pro

I don't quite understand what you mean by inserting in the mixer.

But the jacks labled "insert" on the Mbox Pro are only for when you are recording with the Mbox Pro preamps, and you want to record with something inserted, like a compressor or EQ, etc. Those insert jacks allow you to go from the built in preamps to your hardware unit, before finally going through the A/D converter for recording.

So they have no function if you are just mixing.

If you want to use your hardware when mixing, you need to use one of the Output jacks and come back into the Line Input jacks. Whichever one you choose, it needs to be the same number. So if you go out of output 3, you need to come back into line in 3. Then, whatever track you are using it on in Protools, you select an insert, and instead of choosing "plugin", you select "I/O", and choose output 3. Now your hardware unit is inserted on that track, just like it was a plugin.
Old 07-05-2012, 11:32 PM

Thank you very much,

I want to use my hardware as i'm mixing so I will try your suggestions. I assume I will need to record the audio coming back onto a new audio track and then delete the original track?

Once again, thanks for your time.

Jamie
Old 07-06-2012, 07:43 AM

You don't need to record it as an audio track. Setting it up the way I mentioned will allow you to use your compressor or EQ as an insert, just like using a plugin. For example, if you wanted to have it on your lead vocal track, you would insert it there, and during mixdown the lead vocal would be going through that hardware, which means it would be on recording that sound into your stereo mixdown, just as it would if using a plugin.
Old 07-07-2012, 01:36 AM

I'm almost there!!!

I have done as suggested. Output 3 on MBox to input of compressor output of compressor into MBox Line Input 3 then I have selected Analogue 3 in the i/o drop down menu.

I then get some signal sent to the unit (not very much, however the return sound is panned hard right. I have investigated the I/O menu and the MBox control interface with the MBox but can't seem to find anything.

Any ideas?

Your help is very much appreciated.
Old 07-07-2012, 11:10 AM

Make sure the button next to line input 3 is set to "+4" (the out position).

As for why you're hearing it only from one side, it sounds like you're using a stereo track, and that's not what you want to use in this situation, unless you have a stereo compressor, and it doesn't sound like you do.
Old 07-12-2012, 02:05 PM

I have the same issue. Not a stranger to routing either, and this is completely insane that I cant get my Distressor to work as a hardware insert. What makes this an mbox "pro" if you cant? And what is the purpose of the extra outputs if you cant use them?

I have analog output 4 to distressor, distressor to input 4. Set up insert as mono insert, 4. Nothing when inserted. Same weird coming out of one side issue.

Anyone deal with this and actually figure out how to make it work?

No answers anywhere on the web.
Old 11-07-2013, 10:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nst7 View Post
You don't need to record it as an audio track. Setting it up the way I mentioned will allow you to use your compressor or EQ as an insert, just like using a plugin. For example, if you wanted to have it on your lead vocal track, you would insert it there, and during mixdown the lead vocal would be going through that hardware, which means it would be on recording that sound into your stereo mixdown, just as it would if using a plugin.
Does this mean the insert works like an insert on a mixing console, i just have to select an i/o instead a plugin?

iMac (Retina 5K, 27-inch, Late 2015)
PT11HD
HDX /HD i/o
Magma Thunderbolt 2.0 Chasis 3T
Manley Vari-Mu / MPassive Mastering version
Sonnox bundle / McDsp / FabFilter /
Old 11-07-2013, 05:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimmyM View Post
Does this mean the insert works like an insert on a mixing console, i just have to select an i/o instead a plugin?
As long as the path is setup correctly, yes. Regular Mbox and Mini don't have the appropriate IO capability, but the PRO should be able to do it.

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave

Last edited by albee1952; 11-12-2013 at 12:14 PM.
Old 11-12-2013, 11:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by albee1952 View Post
As long as the path is setup correctly, yes. Regular Mbox and Mini don't have the appropriate IO capability, the the PRO should be able to do it.

How??

I dont get the right path.....it doesnt work....

iMac (Retina 5K, 27-inch, Late 2015)
PT11HD
HDX /HD i/o
Magma Thunderbolt 2.0 Chasis 3T
Manley Vari-Mu / MPassive Mastering version
Sonnox bundle / McDsp / FabFilter /