Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 06-13-2012, 08:52 AM

Default Help, saved Pro Tools session changed/sounds different

Hello,

This happened a few weeks ago and then again last night(same session/different mix). A session mix I was working on and saved the previous day now sounds different. Last time this happened, just quitting the session(not saving) and Pro Tools and restarting took care of the situation. I don't know what the cause was then, I just attributed it to possibly a lock-up issue with a PCM-81 which is connected via AES but I'm not sure about that. Last night, I did two simple trims to the same session, just dropped the entire snare track by .2dB. I did a bounce of the mix to listen to this morning(I didn't bother to check the mix as it was being bounced, my bad) but when I listened to it this morning, not only was the snare level lower but the rhythm guitar tracks were now a few db louder(and not because the snare was lowered).

Anyone have anything like this happen to them and know why?

Hopefully there is a saved version from the previous session in the Saved folder.

Thanks in advance!
Old 12-18-2012, 03:56 PM

Default Re: Help, saved Pro Tools session changed/sounds different

I just had a similar problem. A session that I had bounced the song internally (all tracks going through a bus and printing to a stereo track) sound totally different.

Im baffled because this track was bounced, then saved immediately. No hardware inserts, all plugins. It should sound exactly the same but sounds totally different, way quieter, sounds mushy and weird.

Did you figure out what was wrong? I'm starting mixing a record today and need to work from the rgh mixes and this totally puts a monkey wrench in the works....
Old 12-19-2012, 02:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Armando View Post
Hello,

This happened a few weeks ago and then again last night(same session/different mix). A session mix I was working on and saved the previous day now sounds different. Last time this happened, just quitting the session(not saving) and Pro Tools and restarting took care of the situation. I don't know what the cause was then, I just attributed it to possibly a lock-up issue with a PCM-81 which is connected via AES but I'm not sure about that. Last night, I did two simple trims to the same session, just dropped the entire snare track by .2dB. I did a bounce of the mix to listen to this morning(I didn't bother to check the mix as it was being bounced, my bad) but when I listened to it this morning, not only was the snare level lower but the rhythm guitar tracks were now a few db louder(and not because the snare was lowered).

Anyone have anything like this happen to them and know why?

Hopefully there is a saved version from the previous session in the Saved folder.

Thanks in advance!
Hi,

Could be your bounce path? Is everything in the session routed to the same output path and is that the path that is set in the bounce to disk page.

Chris

Producer, Engineer,
UKmastering Mixing & Mastering
Blinders_Columbia top 40 UK album charts
Slow Readers Club Joy Of The Return #9 UK album charts

www.ukmastering.com

PT10.3.10 Mountain Lion HD6 accel Magma PE6R4 D Command 32 MacPro 12 Core 3.46ghz UAD-2 Octo x2. Manley Vari-Mu, Manley Massive Passive, SSL VHD, ADL600, Grove Tubes ViPre, Tube-Tech CL-1B. Hafler TRM active monitoring.
Old 12-19-2012, 02:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmoneybts View Post
I just had a similar problem. A session that I had bounced the song internally (all tracks going through a bus and printing to a stereo track) sound totally different.

Im baffled because this track was bounced, then saved immediately. No hardware inserts, all plugins. It should sound exactly the same but sounds totally different, way quieter, sounds mushy and weird.

Did you figure out what was wrong? I'm starting mixing a record today and need to work from the rgh mixes and this totally puts a monkey wrench in the works....
Hi,

Sounds like a routing issue, something in the session is not routed to the mix bus and therefore not being part of the record to disk.

Maybe something is routed directly to the output and not the mix bus? So would still be heard but not recorded. But would need to know how your session is setup to know for sure.

Chris

Producer, Engineer,
UKmastering Mixing & Mastering
Blinders_Columbia top 40 UK album charts
Slow Readers Club Joy Of The Return #9 UK album charts

www.ukmastering.com

PT10.3.10 Mountain Lion HD6 accel Magma PE6R4 D Command 32 MacPro 12 Core 3.46ghz UAD-2 Octo x2. Manley Vari-Mu, Manley Massive Passive, SSL VHD, ADL600, Grove Tubes ViPre, Tube-Tech CL-1B. Hafler TRM active monitoring.
Old 12-19-2012, 02:57 AM

What crizdee said... And also make sure that any and all automation is catching up.