Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Hardware > Pro Tools HDX & HD Native Systems (Mac)

Old 02-22-2018, 09:23 AM

Default Control 24- new member

hi all

First i want to say sorry in advance because im sure this topic has been discussed many times in the past but
I am looking to upgrade from my current setup i have with my 003 console and looking to get a "vintage" (as some call it) Control 24.

I currently run normal ProTools 10 with my 003 and i dont seem to have many problems becides 2 of my faders being broke.
Ive been searching online and have found a handful of used Control24s floating around for about $1100 for just the control service no other hardware.

Now I know I could use ethernet to connect the control 24, but will that allow it to run as a normal controller /Console for preamps etc
or would i need digidesign 192 or something along those lines?
I am going to be using this as a control surface as well as for its Preamps.

If im not mistaken a can use my normal protools 10 version and run the HD hardware no problem as well correct?
Old 02-22-2018, 10:44 AM

Default Re: Control 24- new member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xraided28 View Post
hi all

First i want to say sorry in advance because im sure this topic has been discussed many times in the past but
I am looking to upgrade from my current setup i have with my 003 console and looking to get a "vintage" (as some call it) Control 24.

I currently run normal ProTools 10 with my 003 and i dont seem to have many problems becides 2 of my faders being broke.
Ive been searching online and have found a handful of used Control24s floating around for about $1100 for just the control service no other hardware.

Now I know I could use ethernet to connect the control 24, but will that allow it to run as a normal controller /Console for preamps etc
or would i need digidesign 192 or something along those lines?
I am going to be using this as a control surface as well as for its Preamps.

If im not mistaken a can use my normal protools 10 version and run the HD hardware no problem as well correct?
Hi,

The control 24 will work with any pro tools up to 10 on most any computer that has ethernet.

Its basically a big gloryfied mouse.

It is NOT an audio interface. but there are 16 stand alone pre-amps built in that have outputs on the back of the 24 in the form of a 25way D-Connector for each bank of 8 pre-amps which will output the pre-amps back to your audio interface inputs. (These are very basic pre-amps!)

There is also a monitor section, again this uses inputs and outputs on the control 24 (No direct sound from PT)

Its a great control surface but the audio side isn't stella

Chris

Producer, Engineer,
UKmastering Mixing & Mastering
Blinders_Columbia top 40 UK album charts
Slow Readers Club Joy Of The Return #9 UK album charts

www.ukmastering.com

PT10.3.10 Mountain Lion HD6 accel Magma PE6R4 D Command 32 MacPro 12 Core 3.46ghz UAD-2 Octo x2. Manley Vari-Mu, Manley Massive Passive, SSL VHD, ADL600, Grove Tubes ViPre, Tube-Tech CL-1B. Hafler TRM active monitoring.
Old 02-22-2018, 11:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by crizdee View Post
Hi,

The control 24 will work with any pro tools up to 10 on most any computer that has ethernet.

Its basically a big gloryfied mouse.

It is NOT an audio interface. but there are 16 stand alone pre-amps built in that have outputs on the back of the 24 in the form of a 25way D-Connector for each bank of 8 pre-amps which will output the pre-amps back to your audio interface inputs. (These are very basic pre-amps!)

There is also a monitor section, again this uses inputs and outputs on the control 24 (No direct sound from PT)

Its a great control surface but the audio side isn't stella

Chris
Thanks for the quick response chris.

What do you think would be an alternative option for someone looking to upgrade? for a controll surface / console... I am on a budget of around 5k, anything left over is going to be put towards my other budget for new mic(s), interface(s), pres etc...
Old 02-22-2018, 03:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xraided28 View Post
Thanks for the quick response chris.

What do you think would be an alternative option for someone looking to upgrade? for a controll surface / console... I am on a budget of around 5k, anything left over is going to be put towards my other budget for new mic(s), interface(s), pres etc...
Hmmm, $5K buys a used C24 or a used S3, DOCK and iPad. All of these will still work with newer PT software, so might be a better option. Or you could pick up the new Presonus Faderport16 or a pair of used Artist Mix units for under a grand

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave
Old 02-22-2018, 04:02 PM

Default Control 24- new member

The difference between the Faderports and the S3 being the integration with PT.

Faderports while nice are only HUi. So that’s transport controls and fader movements, solo, mute and Maybe record...(i don’t remember about record)

Eucon while it is not 100% all of the time is so much more detailed than just simple HUi

YouTube both surfaces
D-Command Main Unit - 'Ole Blue

http://www.sknoteaudio.com/ plugins rock and are affordable.
Old 02-23-2018, 08:10 AM

Keep in mind, OP needs an interface too. There's nothing in the current Avid line that will provide "console" and interface functions except the S3 which is out of his/her price range (and the S3's audio interface capabilities are pretty minimal).

BTW, the fix for broken faders on the 003 is cheap and easy; Full Compass sells replacement faders for about $40 each, and it's a simple job to put the new ones in.

----------------------------------------
Mac Studio / Ventura, PT 2023.12.HDX, Avid HD I/Os and Metric Halo ULN8, 3xS1/Dock
Also running a Mac Studio Ultra / Ventura / HDX / MTRX / S6
Old 02-23-2018, 09:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich Breen View Post
Keep in mind, OP needs an interface too.....and the S3's audio interface capabilities are pretty minimal).
And, on windows, the S3 has no interface capabilities as Avid still has no Windows AVB driver These days, I am happy to keep the interface and the controller as separate hardware

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave
Old 02-24-2018, 12:15 PM

The foreseeable future of Avid is going to be S-series controllers and the MTRX interface