Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 12

Old 05-09-2017, 03:21 PM

Default Re: Multiple Causes of Noise Blasts in Pro Tools 12.4, 12.5, 12.5.2 (?), 12.7, 12.7.1

Out of interest, have you guys tried keeping a limiter on your master fader, just with a Threshold & Ceiling of 0 dB (or lower, if desired)?

I tried that for the blast I was experiencing (see above) using the Waves L3-LL and it seemed to catch it somewhat. Ok if you're at mixing volumes, the jump to 0 dB still won't be pleasant, but it'd be far less dangerous than +100 dB, or whatever.

Not sure if this solution doesn't work for other types of blast in PT?
Old 05-11-2017, 10:31 AM

Default Re: Multiple Causes of Noise Blasts in Pro Tools 12.4, 12.5, 12.5.2 (?), 12.7, 12.7.1

I had a blast last night, my first that couldn't be traced to an unfortunate routing error.

OSX 10.8.5, PT 12.4.

I don't own anything from NI, but the particular session does have BFD3 on an Instrument track, and one instance of Xpand2 playing a single note.

All metering indicated a mere +76 dBFS. It certainly got my attention.

I was in playback, without stopping playback, hit a marker to start at a Verse or Chorus (so likely a BFD3 sound being triggered on that mark). The Xpand note might have been in progress at the marker in question, I can't recall.
Old 05-22-2017, 04:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob L View Post
I was in playback, without stopping playback, hit a marker to start at a Verse or Chorus
This is when it always happens to me. I'll be playing a short section over and over by toggling the play button without stopping. Every once in a while it will blow my brains out. I guess I must have nine lives, but not eardrums. Won't make it like this much longer.

Can anyone confirm that it has ever happened on HDX (non-Native) system? I work on both and it has only ever happened while using native.
To keep up with the Jones' I upgraded from an analog console and tape machine to...
HD Native (useless)
PTHD 12.5.1 on MacbookPro 10.10.5
featuring MOAB Noise Blast for $400 bucks a year.
Avid Omni Rev B. with toasted inputs that Avid offered to repair for the price of a new Omni.
PTHD 12.7 on MacPro 10.12.1
Avid S3
Avid Dock
HD IO (32 i/o analog)
shafted
Old 05-22-2017, 04:05 PM

I have never had this happen in HDX.

Formerly hobotom

Pro Tools Ultimate 2024 HDX Hybrid
HD Omni and 192 I/Os
Windows 10
Intel Hexcore i7
All Samsung Pro SSDs
Ampex MM1200 2" 24 trk tape
Outboard: UREI, Eventide, Lexicon, Yamaha, TC Electronics, Orban, ART, EchoAudio, Dolby, Hughes, API, Neve, Audio Arts, BBE, Aphex, Berringer, MOTU, dbx, Allison, etc.
Plug-ins: Too many to talk about.

www.metrostudios.com
Old 09-04-2017, 11:18 AM

I have this exact the same problem. I managed to reproduce it, at some points in the track it was caused by mute automation on several tracks in one spot. After removing the mute automations there, the problem was solved. But now it happens again on another place in the session. Now finding out which track is the problem by putting them on inactive one by one. Pt noise bursts and then freezes. After closing and opening it runs again. By the way pt12.5 64gb windows 10pro. Suggestions are appreciated!

Verzonden vanaf mijn iPhone met Tapatalk
Old 09-04-2017, 12:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by millionbit View Post
This is when it always happens to me. I'll be playing a short section over and over by toggling the play button without stopping. Every once in a while it will blow my brains out. I guess I must have nine lives, but not eardrums. Won't make it like this much longer.

Can anyone confirm that it has ever happened on HDX (non-Native) system? I work on both and it has only ever happened while using native.

I have this when there seems to be too much abrupt automation changes at those points for the system (orPT) to handle try reducing or smoothen out or replace automation points not all in one place where the problem occurs. Seems to help me!

Verzonden vanaf mijn iPhone met Tapatalk
Old 09-13-2018, 03:37 AM

Ok, enough is enough. I've been suffering these VERY LOUD noise bursts for over a year, and nobody seems to be posting similar conditions, so I've joined the forums.

I can fairly reliably generate a noise burst by opening either Sonnox EQ, or the Avid 7-band EQ and moving the controls around during playback (usually a frequency or gain control). It doesn't always happen, but I can demonstrate the fault by moving the controls more wildly and vigourously. The noise burst lasts 'til I stop playback, then takes a few seconds to dissipate.

No other plugin or conditions have caused the noise bursts, it has nothing to do with mute breakpoints, or specific audio regions.

The bursts will usually peak the master at over +300dBfs sometimes as high as +700dBfs (so it's clipping very hard at the DA converter), but with the gain structure I usually work with, these are really loud, and often leave me with temporary threshold shift in my hearing. I've (touch wood) not damaged my speakers yet!

They sound like very distorted playback (i.e. not quite white noise, although with that much clipping, it's not far off).

My go-to workaround is to mute my monitor controller every time I edit an EQ parameter, and I've even resorted to not using those two plugins except when I have to (Sonnox was my main channel EQ).

System is a Mac Pro 5,1 (Late 2010) running PTHD 12.5.2 via HD Native PCIe connected to a Digidesign 192, but I'm using external converters (Mytek & Lucid).

HELP!
Old 01-28-2019, 04:00 AM

I wonder if some of these noise bursts are the result of Elastic Audio?

For example, just working here with EA and suddenly the right meter on the track maxes out. Luckily no corresponding audio.

However, look at the audio volume indicator at the bottom showing 315.1 dB over

So just to make it clear, not a single plugin on this Session. One stereo track only running Elastic Audio in Polyphonic mode with the follow transient option switched on.

Elastic Audio is long due an overhaul, that's for sure.

Stephen
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Screen Shot 2019-01-28 at 11.54.45.jpg (9.6 KB, 0 views)

https://www.waves.com/r/djgsi6