Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Tips & Tricks
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 09-01-2009, 01:14 AM

Default Cloggy Mix and best handbook

I am having some issues with my mixing. The music is electro indie dance similar to the likes of Simian Mobile Disco, Justice, Yeah Yeah Yeahs latest, Hot Chip, Goldfrapp (their electro albums).

My mixes just sound too clogged up. I am struggling to get the openess and air of the artists above. Also can't quite get the wide, big sound. And issues getting the vocal to sit sweetly on top.

Has anyone got any suggestions please?

Also I am on the lookout for a comprehensive mixing guide book or quality online resource. There are a few books out there, but hard to decide without any recommendations.

cheers
24GB RAM
UAD Satellite Quad
UAD Apollo Twin
Old 09-01-2009, 01:33 AM

Default Re: Cloggy Mix and best handbook

Quote:
Originally Posted by spaceman View Post
I am having some issues with my mixing. The music is electro indie dance similar to the likes of Simian Mobile Disco, Justice, Yeah Yeah Yeahs latest, Hot Chip, Goldfrapp (their electro albums).

My mixes just sound too clogged up. I am struggling to get the openess and air of the artists above. Also can't quite get the wide, big sound. And issues getting the vocal to sit sweetly on top.

Has anyone got any suggestions please?
That's an easy one:
Hire a trained mix engineer.

Seriously, without having heard your mixes or know how you tracked them, what gear you use, how your room and loudspeakers work together and so on, that's impossible to answer.
But, I've heard this baby works wonder:http://www.funklogic.com/images/makepalbigger.jpg
Old 09-04-2009, 12:22 PM

I'll mix stuff, but I don't like wearing those silly outfits, or doing tricks! And I will not work with animals or small children.

Steve
Old 09-06-2009, 04:38 PM

90% of it is sampled drums, synths, synth bass.

Are there any key frequencies to look out for in terms of a muddy bottom end etc?

Also any advice on good books for mixing?
24GB RAM
UAD Satellite Quad
UAD Apollo Twin
Old 09-06-2009, 06:00 PM

You may want to use this as a learning experience. What you are asking is really about taste and the ability to hear what the audio is doing, and what it needs to sound right. That is the kind of skill that you have to develop. What frequencies depends entirely on the material, AND how the tracks relate to each other. Consider a bass and kick. Look for what sounds best on each one, then mix them and see if either is overshadowing the other. Often, the fix is to dip a range of low end in the kick, and dip a different range of low end on the bass(i.e. dip around 150 on the kick and 250 on the bass)(actual frequencies will vary). The idea is to carve holes in competing instruments so they can co-exist without the "mud". Also, look at panning and don't be afraid to use synth tracks in mono(just because a synth works in stereo, does not mean you MUST use both sides). Lots to think about, but this is the kind of training that makes a better engineer.

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave
Old 09-07-2009, 06:45 PM

The reply directly above is very true, being good at ANY TRADE / SPORT / CRAFT / SKILL takes years of practice to 'master.'

I constantly have to remind my students, who often are in their first year of studying the field, that there is NO substitute for practice / experience / patience / diligence.

I additionally tell them there is no "Easy Button" or "Magic Secret" concerning engineering -- anymore that there is a 'secret' to swimming that only Michael Phelps knows :)

However, in reference to the "mud" question, I will say that knowing what key you're working on is very important! Many times online I'll hear someone giving advice like: "Dip in the 200 or 250 range on the bass guitar for more clarity."

While the above is true, frequencies MOVE depending on what key you're working in! Boosting a frequency a half step above the tonic of your track is not going to help -- neither is cutting 260 Hz if you're in the key of C, for example.

This is why I have a pitch to frequency chart ALWAYS within reach. A quick google led to a decent list, here:

http://showmeprotools.com/musical-pitch-vs-frequency/

My only 'note' about the above, is that I am a "middle C = C3" & Note 60 guy. No biggie. YMMV

This chart is one OF MANY things I check for when MUD has presented itself in a track I'm working on.

Best :)

W
Old 09-15-2009, 12:59 AM

here is an idea to try since I had some trouble as well with mixes being too cluttered. make sure tracks don't overlap each other, spread them out a bit. you can get away with the kick snare bass etc. also I tried using a stereo widening tool and that helped a lot. as well I noticed that my guitars were too bassy in general and took away the low end on them to let the bass do most of the work and that helped a lot too. there are different ways of doing it but that might help a little.