Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Mixing > System 5
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 05-16-2016, 10:56 AM

Default Re: Help me define Digital Monitors

It was already enabled on the desk I use it on. I think there is a system registry line that needs to be changed but I'm really not sure. Maybe someone from AVID can chime in? Eddie?

Sent from my E5823 using Tapatalk

The studio FB page
Old 05-16-2016, 11:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven1145 View Post
It was already enabled on the desk I use it on. I think there is a system registry line that needs to be changed but I'm really not sure. Maybe someone from AVID can chime in? Eddie?

Sent from my E5823 using Tapatalk
There are 3 system registry lines that "affect" this.
1. Madi offset. I can only assume this is a numbering setting.
2. Madi Monitor output which I also assume points to which Madi port should be used as monitors.
3. Madi Monitor enable that turns on or off madi monitors. (this setting is also reflected in the preference tab in eMix).

It's easy to turn on the function by routing the monitor output bus to the MA703 outputs of your choice. This works whether Madi Monitors is on or off, but there is no control over the volume. It's just a straight routing.

Turning Madi Monitors on or off seems to have no effect on anything so I'm pretty sure I have at least one setting wrong somewhere.

Anyone using Madi monitors? If so, can you please go into your registry (Regedit) and tell me the state of all three settings, which Madi output you're using for monitors, what your monitor output is set to in patch net and anything else you think might be relevant?

I wonder if the MC524 needs to be disconnected in order for Madi monitors to work?

I appreciate any assistance on this.
Old 05-17-2016, 10:06 AM
Avid

There is a setting in eMix to turn on Digital monitoring. A reboot is needed to make effective. Once on, the analog is set to unity in the 524 and the console now controls the gain in the digital domain. You should notice a lot more noise from the analog converters!
If you don't need all the Alts and studios just plug MADI 0 channels 1-8 into your digital monitors. If you still require them and don't have a MADI router then set the second registry setting to a different port and the Main monitor outputs will appear duplicated on that. The 3rd setting just moves them to a higher MADI channel.
The first MADI setting is the same as the setting in eMix.

In the Registry editor under: HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Euphonix\eMix\Presistan t\Monitors\VariableMADIOutputs
EnableMADIMonitors – if not zero digital monitoring is enabled
ControlRoomMADIPort – sets MADI output port, default is Frame 1
ControlRoomMADIChannelOffset – sets MADI channel offset, default is the first 8 channels
When enabled in the registry all analog controls are set to unity and left in place for Alt speakers and Talk and Listen functions. Control Room MADI output port and channel offset is set in the registry. Monitors A-D outputs must be manually patched. Metering is after gain and dim/cut functions.

The whole thing is a bit of a kluge as the S5 architecture didn't allow for digital monitoring and we did the best we could with it.
Old 05-17-2016, 12:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EddieJones View Post
There is a setting in eMix to turn on Digital monitoring. A reboot is needed to make effective. Once on, the analog is set to unity in the 524 and the console now controls the gain in the digital domain. You should notice a lot more noise from the analog converters!
If you don't need all the Alts and studios just plug MADI 0 channels 1-8 into your digital monitors. If you still require them and don't have a MADI router then set the second registry setting to a different port and the Main monitor outputs will appear duplicated on that. The 3rd setting just moves them to a higher MADI channel.
The first MADI setting is the same as the setting in eMix.

In the Registry editor under: HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Euphonix\eMix\Presistan t\Monitors\VariableMADIOutputs
EnableMADIMonitors – if not zero digital monitoring is enabled
ControlRoomMADIPort – sets MADI output port, default is Frame 1
ControlRoomMADIChannelOffset – sets MADI channel offset, default is the first 8 channels
When enabled in the registry all analog controls are set to unity and left in place for Alt speakers and Talk and Listen functions. Control Room MADI output port and channel offset is set in the registry. Monitors A-D outputs must be manually patched. Metering is after gain and dim/cut functions.

The whole thing is a bit of a kluge as the S5 architecture didn't allow for digital monitoring and we did the best we could with it.
Thank Eddie.
This worked. One important empirical datum.
The ControlRoomMADIChannelOffset cannot be ZERO. It must be 1 to be One to One. Zero defeats Digital Monitors.
Otherwise this worked - and works - perfectly (except for solo bus - see below ...)

Thanks for this write up. This is the only complete one I've had which gets it going (edit - almost) painlessly.

Thanks!

Last edited by Patzag1; 05-17-2016 at 04:17 PM.
Old 05-17-2016, 04:16 PM

OK. The story is not quite over.

Now what does NOT work is the Solo bus. With Digital Monitors, the Solo Bus is now unity only (full volume) when on PFL and follows fader volume on AFL, but with no option to control the volume at all.

I'm getting slightly frustrated with this.

Then on top of that the MC524 output for the solo bus adds itself to the already maxed out of control level.

4 days full time so far.