Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 11

Old 07-29-2013, 05:51 PM

Default Re: ProTools bug/how to report/customerservice?

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulV View Post
Hi Mike,

Sorry you're getting delays with PT11 on Windows. We've seen something like this a few times, and might have some ideas.

Would you be able to record a screen capture video of this? It would help us a lot in identifying the cause.

Thanks!

Hi Paul,

Thank you for jumping in. I will do a screen capture tonight and post a YouTube link, unless there is another way you prefer to see it

-Mike
Old 07-29-2013, 10:30 PM

As per the request, here is a quick screen capture of the main issues

http://youtu.be/5bsSvEN03Qg

I'm open to any ideas :)

-Mike
Old 07-30-2013, 07:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lpmike75 View Post
As per the request, here is a quick screen capture of the main issues

http://youtu.be/5bsSvEN03Qg

I'm open to any ideas :)

-Mike
WoW... That really is annoying and I hope someone who knows this will help you fix it ASAP! No one can work like that and my Mac would be in harms way every session if this happened to me

BTW : I guess you have turned "OFF" Count in when you record as that can look like a lag when set to 1-2 bars and not hearing the "click"

All the best
Chris

#thestruggleisreal
—————————————
South Side Music Group
WEBHOME
—————————————
Old 07-30-2013, 08:04 AM

This is the exact same behaviour as in my system. And yes, wery annoying indeed.....
Old 07-30-2013, 01:08 PM
Avid

Thank you for posting this. We'll investigate and see what we can discover.

Paul Vercellotti
Avid Engineering
Old 07-30-2013, 06:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Southsidemusic View Post
WoW... That really is annoying and I hope someone who knows this will help you fix it ASAP! No one can work like that and my Mac would be in harms way every session if this happened to me

BTW : I guess you have turned "OFF" Count in when you record as that can look like a lag when set to 1-2 bars and not hearing the "click"

All the best
Chris

Hey Chris,
That is a good thought about the count in, sadly though that isn't it. Thanks for the suggestion. Luckily my computer is out of arms reach for me :)
Old 08-02-2013, 09:12 PM

After re-installing Pro Tools a 3rd time, I ran into an issue all three times which I forgot to mention. Installing PT messed with my video driver each time I installed.

After the initial install and restart, I would blue screen. The problem was listed as my video driver. Each time I had to re-install the latest driver.

My video card is in my Sandra report, but for simplicity sakes, it is a ATI Radeon 4770x2.

Pro Tools still hangs when doing tasks, the re-re-install did not change anything. I now wonder if it could be related to video drivers in some way, shape or form.
Old 08-02-2013, 09:32 PM

I'll nibble just because I'm curious.

Do you know exactly what video driver you were installing?

What exactly was the blue screen error?

So you have two graphics cards installed... I would pull one one and restart and see if you get further. You might also end up doing a full Pro Tools unisntall and reinstall again.

If it was my computer I'd probably not be willing to spend much more time trying things and would just be reinstalling Windows 7 on a new/clean disk drive with as few drivers as needed (no Norton, no backup software, or crapware etc.) and installing Pro Tools 11.0.1 on top of that. If that does not fix things you have a pretty serious problem. One disadvantage is there are likely very few other Pro Tools 11 users that will have your AMD based systems with dual GPUs, so there is just little exposure to that, and of course all that may be a distraction anyhow.

And another observation, it looks like this system is overclocked. So yet more non-standard to what many folks are running. If you can clock it back to 3.0 or 3.2 or wherever the base speed is and try that it may be useful (I'd only waste time on this if the full windows install fails and Avid folks can't come up with a better suggestion). Normally you just expect a crash if there are problems, but I've see some really bizarre issues on overclocked systems.

It would be great if folks with similar problems we all posting Sandra reports and lots more info, then we'd might have something useful compare to.

Darryl
Old 08-02-2013, 10:18 PM

Hey Darryl

The video card is a single unit, despite it saying "x2".

Here is the crash from the video driver
"This was probably caused by the following module: atikmpag.sys (atikmpag+0x7BA8)
Bugcheck code: 0x117 (0xFFFFFA800C270010, 0xFFFFF8800501CBA8, 0x0, 0x0)
Error: VIDEO_TDR_TIMEOUT_DETECTED
file path: C:\Windows\system32\drivers\atikmpag.sys
product: AMD driver
company: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc.
description: AMD multi-vendor Miniport Driver
Bug check description: This indicates that the display driver failed to respond in a timely fashion.
A third party driver was identified as the probable root cause of this system error. It is suggested you look for an update for the following driver: atikmpag.sys (AMD multi-vendor Miniport Driver, Advanced Micro Devices, Inc.).
Google query: atikmpag.sys Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. VIDEO_TDR_TIMEOUT_DETECTED"

There is an AMD automatic driver install program to get the most up to date video driver, which I used to fix the problem. I don't have the driver number in front of me.

If I had any other problems with any other programs I would spend less time trying to figure this out and I would start dismantling my system, but my system is really stable with the other programs. I have a lot of programs for recording, video editing, software VST's, etc etc that I am hesitant to "knock down the house, because the kitchen light flickers", if you know what I mean.

As far as others not having the same hardware. I agree, and imagine it's hard to design a program that will work flawless with hundreds of different hardware/software configurations, especially right off the get go. I also hope others experiencing problems will share their system info to see if there is a common dominator.

Thanks again for the continued suggestions and help.
-Mike
Old 08-02-2013, 10:40 PM

If Avid has a handle on this then great, maybe they'll chime back in. Otherwise...

But you system is *not* running healthy, far from it. Pro Tools has problems and the ATI driver seems to be causing blue screens. How the install of Pro Tools is related to that I don't know. The fact that you have lots of other stuff installed, on a overclocked AMD CPU system and it appears to be working is not necessarily a good thing. Pro Tools is just a lot more fussy than most software. Given this has been going on for days now, I would have long ago grabbed another disk drive (Samsung 840 Pro SSD, or WDC Caviar Black) and done a clean install on that, save the current boot/system drive as an archive. Don't install all you other software just Pro Tools. If you still have a problem with just Pro Tools installed then then that is very useful knowledge. This is not about wasting time, it is likely the way to get a usable Pro Tools system as quickly as possible.