Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Virtual Instruments
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 02-26-2017, 09:42 AM

Default Alternatives to AIR?

Hi there. I'm brand new to Pro Tools and I'm having a very difficult time of it so far. I have managed to pin-point my issues to problems with the AIR plugins, primarily XPand2. After doing some research, I've found that others have been having the major GUI issues I have, but that there does not appear to be any solution to these problems. I'm currently working with Pro Tools in an academic environment, which means I have assignment deadlines and don't have a whole lot of time to sit and struggle with it.

So, I've been looking for alternatives. What I need right now are software instruments, as we are starting with MIDI sequencing as opposed to live audio. XPand2 looks like an amazing tool, if it worked on my system, but it looks like I need some other virtual instrument pack. I've been searching for alternatives, but information is so scattered.

I've seen recommendations for the Kontakt player and instruments that come with it, but the only download I've found requires the link to be sent in an e-mail, an e-mail that never arrives.

I'm on a Windows 10 machine and running Pro Tools 12.7. Can anyone give me a recommendation of a free virtual instrument pack that doesn't require jumping through flaming hoops to download and use?
Old 02-26-2017, 03:09 PM

Default Re: Alternatives to AIR?

Pretty sure Kontakt is only available as a paid plugin via Native Instruments, no?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Old 02-26-2017, 03:13 PM

The site I saw it listed on claimed it was free, as did the apparent download site. But, as the whole thing was confusing and shady, I'm going to take that with a grain of salt. As I mentioned, information is sparse and unorganized, and I don't trust half the sites that come up when I search for virtual instrument plugins.
Old 02-26-2017, 03:44 PM

The free Kontakt player comes with a very limited library. It's not near as comprehensive as Xpand2.

What's wrong with the Xpand2 GUI? I've used it on both Mac and Win without issue.

Mac Studio, 64GB RAM, 1 TB SSD, Glyph 2TB USB3 HDD, OWC drive dock, Mac OS Monterey 12.6.8

Pro Tools Ultimate 2023.9, HD Native, Focusrite Red 8Pre

Presonus Faderport, Pro Tools | Control
Old 02-26-2017, 04:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabel View Post
The site I saw it listed on claimed it was free, as did the apparent download site. But, as the whole thing was confusing and shady, I'm going to take that with a grain of salt. As I mentioned, information is sparse and unorganized, and I don't trust half the sites that come up when I search for virtual instrument plugins.

Yeah. I own the Ultimate Suite. Can't imagine the freebie is too dolled up. I never trust free.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Old 02-26-2017, 05:17 PM

Top Jimmy:
Basically, when I insert one of the AIR plugins into an instrument track, it completely messes up the GUI for my session and Pro Tools. First, the entire application reduces to about a 4th of the size, even though it still thinks it is full screen. I restore it, but the menu bar is cut off and nearly everything inside the edit window has become absolutely tiny. Even deleting the instrument track doesn't restore the sizing in the project, and the only option is to revert to a previous save. Also, Pro Tools has to be restarted, because even closing the session won't fix the GUI problems.

I've searched for solutions to this, but all I'm finding is people agreeing that it's a problem. I've not managed to find an answer on how to fix this.
Old 02-27-2017, 04:53 PM

This is... relaly discouraging. I used the Plugin Finder, and no results appear for Windows 10 instrument plugins for Pro Tools 12. I don't even need anything good! I just need something that makes noise so I can do my assignment for this class while I try to figure out how to make this program work as a professional tool. Is there really nothing other than the AIR plugins?
Old 02-27-2017, 05:06 PM

What reading I did in regards to your issue all said this only happens when scaling. You can't turn scaling off long enough to complete your work?

Peruse the list of free plugins at the Pro Tools Expert site for whatever free instruments are available.

Mac Studio, 64GB RAM, 1 TB SSD, Glyph 2TB USB3 HDD, OWC drive dock, Mac OS Monterey 12.6.8

Old 02-27-2017, 05:09 PM

Can I use AAX or TRAS plugins on Windows? I was under the impression that I needed VST.
Old 02-27-2017, 05:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabel View Post
Can I use AAX or TRAS plugins on Windows? I was under the impression that I needed VST.

AAX is the plugin format used in Pro Tools since 10. VST has never been supported at all.