Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > AAX Plug-ins

Old 09-20-2019, 01:39 PM

Default dbx160 emulation sources?

Looking for a dbx 160 emulation. Note that I'm not looking for a recommendation as such but web links to developers of such. I know Waves has one and Stillwell has one called Major Tom. Are there any others out there that won't break the bank? No Acustica Audio please

Preferably under $100.

QAPLA!
Old 09-20-2019, 01:46 PM

Default Re: dbx160 emulation sources?

We use the hardware and I can say 1000000% that the UA plugin version is soo close they could be twinsies You might need a dsp processor to get latency away with UA so maybe Softube is the right one?

Also have two racked Hardware of the Dynamite units and they sound a lot like 160 if not better.

https://www.softube.com/dmite#/

The softube plugin version which we have tested against our hardware is extremely accurate and boy do those sound great on Bass guitars. Guitars, Drums and even vocals but more rock than mainstream IMHO of course.

It is $149 but i have a 50 USD voucher I am not using you can have if that Dyna-Mite plugin would suit you.

#thestruggleisreal
—————————————
South Side Music Group
WEBHOME
—————————————
Old 09-20-2019, 05:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Southsidemusic View Post
We use the hardware and I can say 1000000% that the UA plugin version is soo close they could be twinsies You might need a dsp processor to get latency away with UA so maybe Softube is the right one?

Also have two racked Hardware of the Dynamite units and they sound a lot like 160 if not better.

https://www.softube.com/dmite#/

The softube plugin version which we have tested against our hardware is extremely accurate and boy do those sound great on Bass guitars. Guitars, Drums and even vocals but more rock than mainstream IMHO of course.

It is $149 but i have a 50 USD voucher I am not using you can have if that Dyna-Mite plugin would suit you.
I don't have any of the UAD hardware so can't go that way.
Near as I can see there's no way to demo the Dynamite. For what it's supposed to do I'd want to test it out. From the description it's quite different than a dbx 160. Looking for another flavor in drum compression as there's a couple of pieces I'm working on (Bonham-style drum work) that none of the compressors I have (and I've got a bunch) give me the sound I'm looking for.

QAPLA!
Old 09-20-2019, 06:34 PM

I have the Waves one and for what I've seen it doesn't make as big a difference as it's said it does on drums, it sounds like the hardware I had but I prefer to use it on heavily effected tracks like autotuned rap choirs and far away guitars. I think it's good and if I ever need a different flavour I just use another VCA, especially the BSS and the API, I tend to see the SSL as a more groovy sound but the API can do that when switched to feed back. Good hunting
Old 09-20-2019, 09:06 PM

Native Instruments has a dbx160 plugin developed by Softube. I don't know if it sounds like the hardware but you can demo it for free. I think it sells for $99. I bought their Vintage Compressors bundle for $99 on a Christmas sale a couple of years ago. I use them all the time.
Old 09-21-2019, 12:12 AM

I had a DBX 160 for many years in my home studio. Since I didn't have a lot of gear, it got used a lot, so I was very familiar with it. When I sold it I wanted to replace it in software. I have the UAD, and I think their version is quite good and a good emulation, but most of the time I use Major Tom. I'm not sure how much further you need to look - it does the job very well. I don't miss the hardware.

Waves has their DBX 160 emulation, but I have not tried it. It gets good reviews.

Quote:
Originally Posted by musicman691 View Post
Looking for a dbx 160 emulation. Note that I'm not looking for a recommendation as such but web links to developers of such. I know Waves has one and Stillwell has one called Major Tom. Are there any others out there that won't break the bank? No Acustica Audio please

Preferably under $100.
Old 09-21-2019, 04:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by amagras View Post
I have the Waves one and for what I've seen it doesn't make as big a difference as it's said it does on drums, it sounds like the hardware I had but I prefer to use it on heavily effected tracks like autotuned rap choirs and far away guitars. I think it's good and if I ever need a different flavour I just use another VCA, especially the BSS and the API, I tend to see the SSL as a more groovy sound but the API can do that when switched to feed back. Good hunting
I have the Waves BSS and tried it before I made my initial post here. Was a bit disappointed in that it didn't seem to have the punch I was looking for. That API - is that the 2500 Waves sells?
Quote:
Originally Posted by lgreen100 View Post
Native Instruments has a dbx160 plugin developed by Softube. I don't know if it sounds like the hardware but you can demo it for free. I think it sells for $99. I bought their Vintage Compressors bundle for $99 on a Christmas sale a couple of years ago. I use them all the time.
Thanks for reminding me about the NI 160 emulation. I have that somewheres in my toolbox and haven't touched it in ages. There's something about NI's effects plugins that leave me a bit dry (and I don't mean the mix control either).
Quote:
Originally Posted by deanrichard View Post
I had a DBX 160 for many years in my home studio. Since I didn't have a lot of gear, it got used a lot, so I was very familiar with it. When I sold it I wanted to replace it in software. I have the UAD, and I think their version is quite good and a good emulation, but most of the time I use Major Tom. I'm not sure how much further you need to look - it does the job very well. I don't miss the hardware.

Waves has their DBX 160 emulation, but I have not tried it. It gets good reviews.
As said earlier I don't have anything UAD so that's out. As to Major Tom I know whereof Stillwell's plugins as Rocket gets a good workout on drum tracks here. It's one of two 1176-style comps that show up on drums with the other one being PSP's FETpressor.

QAPLA!
Old 09-21-2019, 05:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by musicman691 View Post
I have the Waves BSS and tried it before I made my initial post here. Was a bit disappointed in that it didn't seem to have the punch I was looking for. That API - is that the 2500 Waves sells?.
I loved the BSS but only after understanding the jumpers, it can do practically anything but it's still a very fast compressor, for punch I go with the 76 or 2A. The other is the API 2500 from Waves.
Old 09-21-2019, 05:30 AM

I’ve been enjoying the Arturia 165 emulation. In Auto mode it does a nice 165 thing. It’s very flexible with the added controls.

What sound are you going for? The 160 tends to make drums sound very smacky and there are plenty of options for that.
Old 09-21-2019, 05:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrDibS View Post
I’ve been enjoying the Arturia 165 emulation. In Auto mode it does a nice 165 thing. It’s very flexible with the added controls.

What sound are you going for? The 160 tends to make drums sound very smacky and there are plenty of options for that.
Like I mentioned in post #3 I have several pieces that have Bonham-style drumming and I figure maybe a 160 can help where my other compressors don't seem to get the job done. Also as I said I'm not so much looking for recommendations to a specific plugin but sources/developers I might not know.

Of course hearing what someone has to say about a certain comp is always welcome. This is one of those where demoing will help me to make up my mind.

QAPLA!