Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > macOS
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 12-24-2012, 09:31 PM

Default Re: OT: You can't customize PT's "look," can you?

i like standardization, but the present 'look' is boring and pedestrian. it needs an update , with 4 or 5 switchable selections, with original standard being one of them...
Old 12-24-2012, 10:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by capt kirk View Post
i like standardization, but the present 'look' is boring and pedestrian. it needs an update , with 4 or 5 switchable selections, with original standard being one of them...
That's essentially what Finale offers.
Finale 26.3.1
Old 12-25-2012, 01:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Olhsson View Post
One of the very best features of Pro Tools to me is that you can't customize the interface! It means I can walk into a studio I've never been in before and go right to work with minimal left brain distraction.
+1 to this! It's bad enough opening someone else's session and having to deal with their color scheme and window layout.

Pro Tools 2024.3
Focusrite LS56
Focusrite Pro40 (2)
TC Electronic Studio Konnekt 48
Avid Artist Mix/Control
Slate Digital VRS8
Analogue Tonebuss 24 Channel
UAD-2 OCTO Core Accelerator
UAD Volt 2
macOS 10.15.7
32 GB DDR4 RAM
4.01GHz Quad-Core Intel Core I7
NVIDIA GeForce GT 740 2 GB
Old 12-25-2012, 03:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtomassetti View Post
I've heard a lot of rumblings about this, but it hasn't affected me. Mostly I record live classical music with a stereo pair and maybe a couple of spot mics, so I don't have to deal with a lot of issues. And the few times I have used VIs in PT, I've found that Kontakt has worked pretty well.
I'm the other way around - mostly vi's here with some live instruments and since the AAX update to Kontakt 5 it's been all good.

QAPLA!
Old 12-25-2012, 04:59 AM

Quote:
Here's what my normal PT session looks like on two monitors:

Pro Tools "Look"

Pretty standard stuff.

And here's what my normal REAPER session looks like:

REAPER "Look"

The REAPER mix window in particular I think is amazing, and comes from some sort of creative genius at The House of White Tie in England.

This isn't the sort of thing we could do in Pro Tools, is it? REAPER is more of an open-source, community-oriented app, so there are always lots of people contributing to its ongoing development.

Anyway, it's not that big a deal, but I was just curious.

Merry Christmas to all who whom that applies…

GT
Hi,

Mix window in reaper I could work with, but no way with the edit window.

Even the mix window doesn't lend itself to the current wide screen monitors most of us are using! Which is where PT mix window is more economical and more suited to wide screens. But a few nice touches on that reaper mix window.

Haven't seen an edit window that comes anywhere close to PT in my opinion.

Chris

Producer, Engineer,
UKmastering Mixing & Mastering
Blinders_Columbia top 40 UK album charts
Slow Readers Club Joy Of The Return #9 UK album charts

www.ukmastering.com

PT10.3.10 Mountain Lion HD6 accel Magma PE6R4 D Command 32 MacPro 12 Core 3.46ghz UAD-2 Octo x2. Manley Vari-Mu, Manley Massive Passive, SSL VHD, ADL600, Grove Tubes ViPre, Tube-Tech CL-1B. Hafler TRM active monitoring.
Old 12-25-2012, 08:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by crizdee View Post
Hi,

Mix window in reaper I could work with, but no way with the edit window.

Even the mix window doesn't lend itself to the current wide screen monitors most of us are using! Which is where PT mix window is more economical and more suited to wide screens. But a few nice touches on that reaper mix window.

Haven't seen an edit window that comes anywhere close to PT in my opinion.

Chris
I quite agree with you, though I will say that I use a matched pair of Apple 23" Cinema HD monitors, and REAPER's windows fit them nicely once I click the green expand button.

PT's Edit window is by far better than REAPER's, and Logic's as well. Selecting things is so much easier, and since I have a PT keyboard, it's easier yet for me to quickly switch between tools and all that.

One of the hardest things to remember these days is what keyboard shortcuts do what in what program. I can't tell you how many times I've tried to use Finale's zoom or drag key combinations in PT or InDesign or whatever.

REAPER adds another layer of confusion: In every single application I use, the scroll wheel on my mouse allows me to scroll up and down the window. In REAPER, however, using the scroll wheel zooms in or out in the edit window!

(Though I'll bet you that's customizable… )

Cheers,

GT
Finale 26.3.1
Old 12-25-2012, 01:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cwsand View Post
+1 to this! It's bad enough opening someone else's session and having to deal with their color scheme and window layout.
That's exactly the problem with a lack of customization too . We're all stuck with Avid's idea of a good interface/color scheme.

I personally can't stand it, I wish for at least the ability to change the colors of the GUI, the edit window background is too bright for me, and same with the bottom half of the mix window. Staring at Pro Tools bright GUI 24/7 is rough! And I can't dim my screens too much without messing up visibility of plugin interfaces.
OSX 10.7.5
Old 12-25-2012, 01:38 PM

Quote:

(Though I'll bet you that's customizable… )

Cheers,

GT
Completely customizable. Change shortcuts in the action list to mirror Pro Tools so you have to remember fewer shortcuts. Also under "mouse modifiers" in preferences, you should be able to change scrolling behavior.
OSX 10.7.5
Old 12-25-2012, 07:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by meech View Post
Completely customizable. Change shortcuts in the action list to mirror Pro Tools so you have to remember fewer shortcuts. Also under "mouse modifiers" in preferences, you should be able to change scrolling behavior.
Good ideas. I'll look into this.
Finale 26.3.1
Old 12-25-2012, 08:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by meech View Post
That's exactly the problem with a lack of customization too . We're all stuck with Avid's idea of a good interface/color scheme.

I personally can't stand it, I wish for at least the ability to change the colors of the GUI, the edit window background is too bright for me, and same with the bottom half of the mix window. Staring at Pro Tools bright GUI 24/7 is rough! And I can't dim my screens too much without messing up visibility of plugin interfaces.
Bright? you should try the pre 8 GUI

"Fly High Freeee click psst tic tic tic click Bird Yeah!" - dave911

Thank you,

Craig