Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 2019
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 06-11-2019, 01:47 AM

Default Midi Learn for 3rd party plugins

I'm desperately trying to get some controller to allow me to right click on a 3rd party plug-in, choose Midi Learn and then simply turn the knob on my controller.

It works flawlessly in Ableton Live with any controller.

I have a Komplete Kontrol Mk2 and Maschine Mk3 and the iPad app Pro Tools Control. Nothing works...

Will the Dock or Artist mix work with 3rd party plugins?

Does anyone have any NI controller working with Midi Learn?

Thank you!!

Gina
Old 06-11-2019, 05:32 AM

Default Re: Midi Learn for 3rd party plugins

Hi and Welcome to the Community

I don’t think Pro Tools works with Midi learn as you describe what you are after. We been trying all kind of options but gave up a year ago and use Ableton Live10 Suite and a Push2 for all our Midi work in our productions.

Maybe I am wrong in thinking this but I have asked a lot of people and no one has this working in PTHD 2019.5 or HD12 etc.

#thestruggleisreal
—————————————
South Side Music Group
WEBHOME
—————————————
Old 06-11-2019, 09:22 AM

Thank you so much for your reply. Such a bummer....

Have you tried Midi Learn on the Avid Control app or Artist Mix?

I see that there are knobs on the app for certain plugins but not plug-ins... It's SO simple in Live... I hope Pro Tools fixes this someday....

Thanks again!!

Gina
Old 06-11-2019, 11:00 AM

Hi Gina, this works well for me in PT 2019.5. I have the Komplete Kontrol S-61 (Mk1). I assume this should work similarly to your Mk2. Make sure you have your keyboard set to Instance: MIDI (not to whatever Komplete Kontrol plugin instances you may have on other tracks). Do this by pushing the INSTANCE button on your keyboard and use the knob next to it to select MIDI. (You can go back to the previous mode by pushing SHIFT and INSTANCE later.) Also make sure the track where your midi-learnable plugin is inserted is in record mode - otherwise the Learn MIDI CC does not work. You could test with e.g. Air Vacuum or Vacuum Pro (the former ships with PT I believe), since this plugin supports MIDI learn. Many Waves plugins don't, for example.

Hope I understood your use case correctly, and that this will work on your system.
Old 06-11-2019, 11:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Southsidemusic View Post
We been trying all kind of options but gave up a year ago and use Ableton Live10 Suite and a Push2 for all our Midi work in our productions.
Thinking about going this route. I have Live 10 Suite. Is the Push2 worth it?

tg
Mac Studio (2022) M1 MAX / 64GB / 2TB HD / macOS Ventura 13.6.5 / RME BabyFace Pro FS / SSL UF8 + UF1 + UC1 / Roland SYSTEM 8 / Kontrol S61 mk3 / Pro Tools Studio 2024.3 / Nuendo 13 / Reaper 7 / Komplete 14 / Omnisphere / Keyscape / Trilian / V Collection X
Old 06-11-2019, 02:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by grayter1 View Post
Thinking about going this route. I have Live 10 Suite. Is the Push2 worth it?

tg
We love it! Super well integrated in Live10 and soo many great features IMHO of course.

#thestruggleisreal
—————————————
South Side Music Group
WEBHOME
—————————————
Old 06-11-2019, 03:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vilming View Post
Hi Gina, this works well for me in PT 2019.5. I have the Komplete Kontrol S-61 (Mk1). I assume this should work similarly to your Mk2. Make sure you have your keyboard set to Instance: MIDI (not to whatever Komplete Kontrol plugin instances you may have on other tracks). Do this by pushing the INSTANCE button on your keyboard and use the knob next to it to select MIDI. (You can go back to the previous mode by pushing SHIFT and INSTANCE later.) Also make sure the track where your midi-learnable plugin is inserted is in record mode - otherwise the Learn MIDI CC does not work. You could test with e.g. Air Vacuum or Vacuum Pro (the former ships with PT I believe), since this plugin supports MIDI learn. Many Waves plugins don't, for example.

Hope I understood your use case correctly, and that this will work on your system.
This sounds correct. By default, the KK knobs and data send as Automation Data in Pro Tools, not as MIDI CCs. So, you have to set the KK keyboard to "MIDI" mode and have knobs configured for CC messages.
Old 06-12-2019, 04:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gfantsimon View Post
I'm desperately trying to get some controller to allow me to right click on a 3rd party plug-in, choose Midi Learn and then simply turn the knob on my controller.

It works flawlessly in Ableton Live with any controller.

I have a Komplete Kontrol Mk2 and Maschine Mk3 and the iPad app Pro Tools Control. Nothing works...

Will the Dock or Artist mix work with 3rd party plugins?

Does anyone have any NI controller working with Midi Learn?

Thank you!!

Gina
Quote:
Originally Posted by Southsidemusic View Post
Hi and Welcome to the Community

I don’t think Pro Tools works with Midi learn as you describe what you are after. We been trying all kind of options but gave up a year ago and use Ableton Live10 Suite and a Push2 for all our Midi work in our productions.

Maybe I am wrong in thinking this but I have asked a lot of people and no one has this working in PTHD 2019.5 or HD12 etc.
MIDI learn depends mostly on the plugin in use and not the daw. Not all plugins support MIDI learn and some that do don't allow MIDI learn on all their controls. Take NI's Battery 4 - you can't MIDI learn the overall volume slider in the upper right of the gui.

Something I recommend when trying to debug MIDI issues and external controllers is to get one of the free MIDI monitor utilities. snoize for Macs and MIDI-OX for Windows. They will at least tell you whether your controller is sending out messages and what those message are.

QAPLA!
Old 06-12-2019, 04:30 AM

Thanks Jack. Will try that asap

#thestruggleisreal
—————————————
South Side Music Group
WEBHOME
—————————————