Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Win)

Old 09-16-2009, 08:09 PM

Default 6031 error

i installed 8.0.1 and started having the 6031 error message i reinstalled 8.0cs3 ....had a session tonight and it just popped up 6031 .. i hadn't had this message before updating to 8.0.1 and then going back to 8.0cs3 its still thererandomly what gives digi has this update corrupted my computer its not like with 8.0.1 which is ever ten seconds ...but it is still lurking in my system pro tools pci x hd3 !!!!!!!!!!!what now!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 09-16-2009, 09:44 PM

Default Re: 6031 error

Quote:
Originally Posted by odeu87 View Post
i installed 8.0.1 and started having the 6031 error message i reinstalled 8.0cs3 ....had a session tonight and it just popped up 6031 .. i hadn't had this message before updating to 8.0.1 and then going back to 8.0cs3 its still thererandomly what gives digi has this update corrupted my computer its not like with 8.0.1 which is ever ten seconds ...but it is still lurking in my system pro tools pci x hd3 !!!!!!!!!!!what now!!!!!!!!!!!
8.0.1 has possessed your pc and now all Hell is gonna break loose!!!!!! BWWWAAAAAAAAA!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Oh the drama
Old 09-16-2009, 10:19 PM
Avid

Default Re: 6031 error - and workaround

The 6031 errors that some Windows users are seeing more with 8.0.1 are caused by other device drivers on the system misbehaving - holding off processing too long. 8.0.1 has better detection of this situation, which can in some cases lead to noise during playback or recording (8.0.1 throws a 6031 error in that situation instead of tolerating it and risking the noise). The down side is that certain systems with drivers that cause this will show 6031 errors more frequently in Pro Tools. The 6031's are less likely at larger playback buffer settings, so you might try that in your Playback Engine setup dialog.

Now if you're seeing this error after downgrading to 8.0, it's possible that you've still got the 8.0.1 device driver installed; this file is found here:

\Windows\System32\drivers\dalwdm.sys

Find that file in the explorer, right click on it, choose Properties, and click the Version tab. If the version is 8.0.1, just delete it and reboot. After rebooting, in the Explorer find Program Files\Digidesign\Drivers and run the DigiDriver utility. This should reinstall the 8.0 driver.

* Now, that said, there is a workaround for the 6031 with 8.0.1, but it leaves you vulnerable to noise caused by other device drivers on your system. If you don't mind that risk, you can try the following, to use the 8.0 dalwdm driver with 8.0.1:
  1. With 8.0 [cs] installed, make a copy of the Program Files\Digidesign\Drivers folder on your desktop.
  2. Install 8.0.1, reboot.
  3. Copy dalwdm.sys from the Drivers folder on your desktop to \Windows\System32\drivers, replacing the one that's in there.
  4. Reboot.
If your 6031's are caused by this driver issue, this should clear them up. (But bear in mind the risk.)

Edit: If you have any trouble during steps 3 or 4, or if Pro Tools won't launch afterward, run the DigiDriver utility in the Program Files\Digidesign\Drivers to restore the default setup.

I hope that helps.

Paul Vercellotti
Avid Engineering

Last edited by PaulV; 09-16-2009 at 11:19 PM. Reason: Added how to revert changes
Old 09-16-2009, 10:40 PM

thank you paul v .this is the best news i've heard since 8.0.1 came out,even if its only a workaround.
its not pretty around here these days. will there a real fix besides this workaround? or is this just the way its gonna be

also there was a pretty big thread about a feedback loop problem. is this related?
Old 09-16-2009, 11:34 PM
Avid

Quote:
Originally Posted by x9blade View Post
will there a real fix besides this workaround? or is this just the way its gonna be
Well unfortunately the real fix is to find out what driver is holding off processing for too long; it's a bit of a limitation of how Windows is designed in relation to real time software like Pro Tools (see the link below for the full explanation) that leaves it open to this vulnerability. That said, if all the vendors' drivers on a system behave properly, it should all work well and shouldn't give any problems. While Pro Tools could just not report this error, that would potentially allow for noise to occur (the 6031 change was put in because some users were experiencing noise in this situation); generally we would rather throw an error than allow noise to get into someone's recording. What we might be able to do in the future is provide more information in the error about what driver is misbehaving, and / or allow the user to decide if they want to risk the noise and have Pro Tools disregard the error.

There is a utility for tracking down the source of this type of problem, and it's web page also details the nature of this problem (which doesn't just affect Pro Tools; it could affect almost any real time software). They give steps that can help narrow down the driver that's misbehaving (technically, causing a high DPC (deferred procedure call) latency):

http://www.thesycon.de/deu/latency_check.shtml

Also, here's one more thing to check: when you're getting the 6031's, do they still happen if you move the Pro Tools window almost all the way off the screen (far to the lower right off the screen, but not minimized)? If so, the video driver may be involved. Let us know if that's the case, as we might be able to adjust how we interact with the display.

Paul Vercellotti
Avid Engineering
Old 09-17-2009, 06:40 AM

one more question , is the 6031 and pops and clicks problem related
(pops and clicks on recorded audio tracks). thanks for all of the useful info. i will try what you suggest this evening
Old 09-17-2009, 11:23 AM
Avid

Quote:
one more question , is the 6031 and pops and clicks problem related
Yes - I think Paul answered that with this:

Quote:
8.0.1 has better detection of this situation, which can in some cases lead to noise during playback or recording (8.0.1 throws a 6031 error in that situation instead of tolerating it and risking the noise).
Were you getting pops/clicks in previous versions? If so, 8.0.1 is going to throw a 6031 error instead of risking any pops or clicks. The fault, though, lies in the configuration of the PC - some driver is interrupting Pro Tools. The solution is to find which driver is causing it and disable/update it so that it won't cause the interrupts. IRQ sharing may be at fault as well - but that's a tricky one to solve, usually only done by reinstalling Windows from scratch so that it can reassign IRQ's. There's a way to do it manually, but I would look at driver interrupts first.

Did you do all the other suggestions I gave in one of the other threads you posted in? Using msconfig to disable startup items and services? Are all hardware drivers for any graphics or other cards updated to the latest versions? Have you disabled all extraneous hardware and wireless devices such as sound cards, network cards, bluetooth, etc?
Old 09-17-2009, 01:43 PM

thanks dts i don't think i saw the msconfig thread,i will look for it in the evening. also, thanks for more of a helping attitude as far as trying to help figure things out. it benifits us all in the end. i'm always willing to troubleshoot for solutions and to share findings rather than say your computer is not compatible, sorry. thanks again,i'm sure we'll figure this out
Old 09-17-2009, 02:10 PM
Avid

The msconfig info (and other tweaks/configuration tips, etc) are in the General Troubleshooting thread...
Old 09-17-2009, 02:16 PM

I hope you guys get this all sorted, I've been lucky so far, not getting any problems with 8.0.1.

Just a thought for Digi - how about some proper release notes!!!!

Seems to me that it would be beneficial to us users if a change like this was pointed out in advance. I know it's an under-the-hood kind of change, but an awful lot of people on here are under-the-hood kind of guys, lot of custom built PCs etc etc... So maybe if you'd said 'hey guys were now checking for dodgy driver interrupts... you need to run this utility to check out how fit your system is for real-time processing' then you could have avoided the pain and woe caused to the guys who are now suffering as a result....

Just a thought. I write software for a living, and we tend to tell our users what we are changing, and let them know what to look out for if things go wrong...

Good luck guys!!