Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 03-10-2005, 01:30 PM

Default Soundproof our room-HELP!?????????

Hey everyone… I need some tips. We are upgrading our home studio and need your assist!!!

I’m helping my 23-year old son with his aspiration as a singer/songwriter/recording artist in the Rock/Pop genre. The studio will only used by him and myself. The studio is used primarily for songwriting and recording the band - for rehearsals and for tracking. Would like to keep the outside sound OUT and the inside sound IN. This will help keep the neighbors at bay - not patch bay. (Ha Ha)

Our total available space is a room that is 23 feet by 17 feet. We are thinking about dividing the area into 3 sections. We want to have our control room about 11’4” by 17’. In the control room will be our ProControl and a midi station. The ProControl will be parallel and close to the 11’4” wall. The midi station will be perpendicular to the 11’4” wall and “L” with the ProControl. There is also an upright piano on the wall opposite the ProControl and a couple of comfortable chairs, etc. There will be a small “LIVE” room for tracking (appx. 12’ by 12’) which will be used for drums and guitar amps. Next to the live room will be a small vocal room about 5’ by 12’.

Now what??? So… I thought about 4” walls and maybe floating the floor for the live room. Rubber on the concrete slab, then ¾” plywood and then carpet??? Carpet on the walls and ceiling, with sound board and 2” foam board under the carpet in all 3 rooms??? Maybe there is a better way??? Also, one wall of the live room may be triple-paned glass to provide some reflection??? This glass wall would look into the control room. If the glass can be made to work it would make everything not so claustrophobic.

This needs to be done simply and economically. Don’t have a large budget. Don’t know where to get the supplies. Don’t really know exactly what supplies I will need? Don’t want to create a sonic mess! Should I talk to an acoustic person??? If so who??? Hope someone out there can help with some direction. We are in the Los Angeles/Long Beach/Orange County, CA area.

THANKS BIG TIME for your ideas! Alan
Old 03-10-2005, 04:02 PM

Default Re: Soundproof our room-HELP!?????????

How much money do you want to spend?
Old 03-10-2005, 04:18 PM

Check out John Sayers Recording Studio Design Forum. All of your questions are discussed at length over there and I've found the info I've found there to be invaluable.

Also, check out the SAE Institute website, which has tons of information regarding all of your questions.

-Donny
Old 03-10-2005, 04:28 PM

Check out Steven Klein Soundcontrol room at:

http://soundcontrolroom.com/

I got all of the info and stuff I needed or direction to the stuff I needed from them.. Great help when building my studio. They are loctaed in the san fernando valley
PT 8cs3
HD 2 Accel
1 Process Card
UAD quad
PT 8.0.1 cs 1
OSX 10.5.8
Ctrl 24
Old 03-10-2005, 04:32 PM

I'll second, third, and fourth Donny's suggestion. The Sayers forum is an incredible resource, but be sure to follow the "Don't even think about posting before reading this" thread. It contains a huge amount of info that you'll need to absorb before getting into the specifics of your new studio.

Good luck, hope your new room turns out great!

IMDB

Puget Sound on Facebook
Old 03-10-2005, 04:50 PM

http://www.acoustics101.com/

It have a lot of info, and it's easy to understand.

JC
Old 03-10-2005, 05:58 PM

Also, be careful not to build anything in violation of building codes, so you won't be forced to tear it out later. There are a lot of things that would be nice to do from an acoustics standpoint, that aren't kosher with most residential building codes without a variance.

Lee Blaske
Old 03-10-2005, 06:52 PM

Don't want to spend much. Maybe a few thousand. Limited budget. This will probably be a do it yourself with a little help from DUC friends. Alan
Old 03-10-2005, 07:45 PM

Here is what I did for my VO room (dead).
Float floor:
Flat 2x4 16" o.c. on 1" thick x 4"sq. neoprene foam.
Insulate between 2x4. Cover with 3/4" plywood (chip board) then wood parquet.
Carpet is laid down and removable.

Walls VO room (dead):
All exterior and partition walls are insulated, rocked and finished.
Sound board is screwed to walls floor to ceiling.
2x2 wall 2' o.c. frames from floor to ceiling are screwed in place.
The wall plates were ripped from 3 1/2" to 1 1/2" to create non parallel.
Bays between 2x2 are filled with Roxul and covered with cloth and batted with 1x2 cedar.

VO room ceiling:
Sound board is screwed to ceiling and Sonex is glued to sound board.

Walls in control room:
Exterior and interior walls are insulated and covered with sound board. Then 2x2 staggered from the existing studs, insulated again, rocked and finished. Sound treatment for room made of 2'x4' Roxul framed and covered with cloth.
Diffusers and other tuning stuff too.

Glass window is one piece of 1" glass on angle and a 3/4" piece of glass on angle.
Glass is framed in 1/2" neoprene.

Works for me.
So there you have it. All done by myself. Weeks of research and late night think time.
YMMV
Old 03-10-2005, 08:05 PM

rob...you have no f**kin' idea how hard your link just made me laugh...thank you so much for that...my wife was in the other room and thought i had lost my mind...

i think that the life of a studio owner/operator would probably melt most people's brains...

thank god for this forum...
detroitkruk