Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Pro Tools | Intro Discussion
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 04-22-2019, 01:58 PM

Default Audio input not working

I'm new to Pro Tools and need help when recording audio. I am running a MacBook Pro with Mojave and Pro Tools First. I am trying to record tracks from both a keyboard and a mic. I have both connected into a U-Phoria UMC404HD. The mic is running into the first input and the keyboard is running into the second input. Uphoria is then connected to my computer via USB. I've reviewed many videos and have selected the correct things in both hardware and playback engine and the input and output on the tracks are correct. I can hear both mic and keyboard through my headphones so the hardware setup should be correct. However, when I go to record, I am only get a flat line. There is no sound and no waveform and nothing on playback. Everything works in other programs (Garageband and Audiacity), but not in PTF so apparently there is a setting in PTF that I missing, but I can't figure out what I am doing wrong.

Please help!
Old 04-22-2019, 02:15 PM

Default Re: Audio input not working

You can hear both inputs.... but if you are using hardware monitoring in the interface (are you?) that tells you nothing about Pro Tools working.

Are you record arming all tracks you want to record and record arming the transport as well?

Are you vertically zoomed out on the track? Zoom in all the way.

What keyboard, what mic, what are the input gain levels set to in the interface. What are your track fader set to?

You your be in pre-fader metering Mode in Pro Tools, I assume First has that.

Are you recording the keyboard to an audio track? Or or MIDI or instrument?

Get one thing working at a time. Simplest first, One mono audio track recording the Mic

Tell us exactly what you are doing not that stuff is “correct”... because it is likely not.
Old 04-22-2019, 02:56 PM

Thanks so much for your reply. Please see the answers to your questions in italics. I'm posting screen shots, I hope they load and it helps in the troubleshooting process.

Quote:
ou can hear both inputs.... but if you are using hardware monitoring in the interface (are you?) that tells you nothing about Pro Tools working.
Right, but at least I know my cables are connected correctly. It's obviously a problem with my setup in PTF.

Quote:
Are you record arming all tracks you want to record and record arming the transport as well?
I'm record arming but I'm not sure what you mean by "arming the transport" basically, I'm clicking the record button on the track, it flashes, then I click the record button at the top of the screen and the play button. That's where the flat line waveform starts.

Quote:
Are you vertically zoomed out on the track? Zoom in all the way.
Yes - here's the screen shot. https://flic.kr/p/RSbuZi

Quote:
What keyboard, what mic, what are the input gain levels set to in the interface. What are your track fader set to?
Keyboard is a Yamaha DGX 660 and a condenser mic MXL 770 and the phantom power on the interface is turned on. I've tried turning gains to max and it doesn't make any difference in the waveform. As for the track fader, I don't know. Is this in PTF?

Quote:
You your be in pre-fader metering Mode in Pro Tools, I assume First has that.
I don't think I'm in pre-fader metering mode???? I am brand new to this so I can't say for sure. But I am opening the program, creating a new track and trying to record from there. I'm not adjusting anything else.

Quote:
Are you recording the keyboard to an audio track? Or or MIDI or instrument?
Yes, I'm trying to record the keyboard to the audio track.

Get one thing working at a time. Simplest first, One mono audio track recording the Mic. I'll just be happy to get either one working at this point!

Quote:
Tell us exactly what you are doing not that stuff is “correct”... because it is likely not.
True, I should have said I *think* it's correct, but I agree it's probably not, but I don't know what would be wrong. I'm attaching screen shots for this.

Screen shot of playback engine: https://flic.kr/p/2eeGs8F
Screen of harware setup: https://flic.kr/p/RSbv1F

Thanks for your help with this!!!!

Last edited by GodivaGirl; 04-22-2019 at 04:39 PM. Reason: Added content and edited for readability
Old 04-22-2019, 03:34 PM

If you are monitoring with headphones connected to your interface you will hear the inputs even if Pro Tools doesn't. Basics. Record arm one track. Play or sing and note if there is any "signal" (green line) coming into Pro Tools. If not then most likely you have to go back to drivers and or core audio settings but before that make sure that your interface is selected as the Playback engine.
Here is a list of common issues http://duc.avid.com/showthread.php?t=402840
Old 04-22-2019, 03:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 64GTOBOY View Post
If you are monitoring with headphones connected to your interface you will hear the inputs even if Pro Tools doesn't. Basics. Record arm one track. Play or sing and note if there is any "signal" (green line) coming into Pro Tools. If not then most likely you have to go back to drivers and or core audio settings but before that make sure that your interface is selected as the Playback engine.
Here is a list of common issues http://duc.avid.com/showthread.php?t=402840
I am not getting any signal coming in from Pro Tools, there is no green line. I'm sure the problem is in the audio settings, but I don't know what else to change at this point. I have searched the message boards here and google and have not found any answers that apply to my problem. I appreciate the link, but I don't see my issue in there. I'm on hour 9 of this problem and am quite frustrated. Apparently my images aren't working in my post above. Are you able to at least click on them and see them? If so, can you see where my setup is wrong?

Thanks.
Old 04-22-2019, 04:18 PM

Start at the basics. Get playback working first (not clear if you have or not)...

What is the playback engine in Pro Tools set to? Did you install the latest drivers for the interface? Attach a screenshot of the Setup>Playback Engine panel and the Setup>IO>Input and Setup>IO>Output panels if you can.

Create a new empty session running at 44.1 kHz.

Create a stereo audio track.

Drag and drop a known good mp3 or similar audio file onto that track.

Do you see the waveform? Can you play that back?

Report back once you have that working.
Old 04-22-2019, 04:51 PM

Quote:
Start at the basics. Get playback working first (not clear if you have or not)..
I'm a brand new user, I just downloaded it so it has never worked.

Quote:
What is the playback engine in Pro Tools set to?
My pics are not displaying so here is the link to my screen shot: https://flic.kr/p/2eeGs8F

Quote:
Did you install the latest drivers for the interface?
I'm working on a MacBook Pro so there are no interface drivers needed (per the website for the interface)

Quote:
Attach a screenshot of the Setup>Playback Engine panel and the Setup>IO>Input and Setup>IO>Output panels if you can.
I figured out that in PTF, you can not edit the I/O. It isn't an option in the setup menu. https://flic.kr/p/RScUN8

Quote:
Create a new empty session running at 44.1 kHz.

Create a stereo audio track.

Drag and drop a known good mp3 or similar audio file onto that track.

Do you see the waveform? Can you play that back?

Report back once you have that working.
Ok, I tried this and I can hear it and I have a waveform.

Last edited by GodivaGirl; 04-22-2019 at 05:47 PM.
Old 04-22-2019, 06:27 PM

One small nit, you are using the interface as the playback engine and then also showing the the interface as part of an aggregate IO device that you are not using as the playback engine. It will not directly cause issues if it is not used, but just keep stuff simple and don’t have the interface or any other device selected as part of the Pro Tools aggravate IO device.

Last edited by Darryl Ramm; 04-22-2019 at 09:18 PM.
Old 04-22-2019, 06:55 PM

Get things as simple as possible.

Microphone connected to a balanced XLR (not 1/4” TRS) into the input 1 multi-connector on the front of the interface.

Disconnect anything else unneeded from the interface.

If you do not know what a balanced XLR cable is (XLR connector at both ends) Google it.

On the interface turn up the gain to ~3/4. Pad disengaged. Phantom power on.

Now create a mono audio track, with the input set to input 1.

Try recording (you are arming the track and transport correctly).

Speak moderately loudly into the microphone and see if you see any waveform and can hear anything playing back. You must un-record-arm the track before playing it back.

If nothing is getting recorded you can use hardware monitoring to check the microphone is quirking as before. BTW you can also try using software monitoring through Pro Tools by NOT selecting low-latency monitoring in Pro Tools and turning the interface mix knob all the way to “PB”.

Things not working post a screenshot showing the audio track in the mix window and include the input and output IO selectors.

Last edited by Darryl Ramm; 04-22-2019 at 09:26 PM.
Old 11-11-2019, 04:11 AM

Hi.
I'm having the same problem. I've been using a Focusrite Clarette for years and always worked. I've just upgraded Mac to Mojave if that matters.
Now. Everything set up as before.
Mic plugged in and when I arm record......a flat line and no green signal on the track.