Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 12-31-2012, 01:34 AM

Default Possible to use PT9|HD3|192 with Logic open too using a 3rd party interface?

Hi

I searched for hours on this. I am trying to figure out if I can run my main PT HD3 with 192 io rig, while having the option of listening to Logic / iTunes /etc for reference or composing when needed (and PT is not in playback), outputted thru another non-Avid interface like an RME box. The non-PT apps will mostly remains hidden (but open) in the background. Only ONE app would be playing at a time 95% of time. Listen to a mix on iTunes, add a synth in Logic, import into PT, etc. One app at a time, but FAST. The Mac mini output is no good for me. Maybe the Optical tho, into the RME? Dunno.

Also, LINEAR SYNC between PT/Logic or use of TDM PLUGs in Logic is NOT of importance and not supported now AFAIK. This is mainly to be able to instantly jump from one app to the next and back, to hear ideas, refs, snippets, etc, with no break in workflow. ( Hopefully tho, I can word clock all interfaces to my Apogee for piece of mind there)

All operating relatively independent of PT, if possible. Plus, sometimes the HD rig will be unused, turned off, while some client chooses to solely work in Logic.

I know Core Audio Manager/DAE will not work in Logic anymore. But rather than combining the two, Im hoping for 2 independent systems on same Mac that isn't a slave to PT. Hoping the 3 interfaces will show up as choices for inputs/output in the AMS setup allowing me to route Logic,iTunes, and anything else NON Pro Tools. All while not affecting the HD3 system in any major way. ESP quits, reboots, CAM freezing up...

I am so tired of having to quit PT everytime I want to hear something else with better quality than an 1/8th" Mac mini via Core Audio. Let alone record a VI in Logic when inspiration hits without the 2 mins of reboot time, made worse with opening and closing huge mixes.

To sum up-- I would like to use PT|HD3 as I have been. Solid. stable. Then design a secondary non-Avid hardware/software platform that doesn't get into fights with my main rig.

Can PT HD3/192 IO coexist with a setup like this? Taking Core Audio Manager out of the picture since Ill be using non-Avid hardware for the Logic etc setup?

Thanks! And Happy New Year All!

P.S. Can anyone relate to the annoyance of Core Audio Manager in general? What a pain to work around PTs monopoly on that after all these 10s of years! Boo! :)
MT
•••DON'T BELIEVE THE HYPE•••
•Use & Trust ø Cancellation!•
Old 12-31-2012, 09:18 AM

Default Re: Possible to use PT9|HD3|192 with Logic open too using a 3rd party interface?

I think it should work, in theory it's no different than sending Logic out the 1/8" jack
You may need to do some setup up in AMS

and I avoid CAM as much as I can, the rub is it work fine before OSX. hopefully the new HDN/X cards are not tied to HAL the way the old cards are and we are just waiting on the software

"Fly High Freeee click psst tic tic tic click Bird Yeah!" - dave911

Thank you,

Craig
Old 01-01-2013, 01:37 AM

Default Re: Possible to use PT9|HD3|192 with Logic open too using a 3rd party interface?

Yes there is no problem at all.
I use a MOTU 896HD interface for OS X audio and Logic audio etc.
I have AES/EBU back and forth my AVID 8x8x8 to the 896HD and of course put the 896HD to sync to AES/EBU input.
I route the 896HD AES/EBU input to a AUX input in Pro Tools.

I guess you can do this scenario with a virtual sound interface like Soundflower but I am not sure.
Old 01-04-2013, 02:49 AM

Thanks for the input.

I just want to clarify one thing. I would prefer not to have to route Logic audio into an Aux in PTs. I would like to listen to it thru this RME box I aquired.

In my weird scenario, technically I could playback PTs, bring Logic to the front app (while PTs is still playing -- not in any sync of course) and play that simulataneously. Yes, a total clash of sound but the end goal is to listen to ANY softwares' audio output thru the RME (whether at same time or by themselves).

Hypothetically I could have PTs open, as well as iTunes, Logic, and Garage Band all opened up too and quickly choose a sound I want to use from them, and import it, bounce or whatever.

The #1 goal is for a client to quickly reference something other than PTs without having to quit it and also have it sound better than the 1/8th noisy Mac Jack.

Sorry to be redundant- Im making a simple inquiry more complex than I should be since Im used to the old days of PT taking over the Mac completely when in use. :)

Thanks again
MT
•••DON'T BELIEVE THE HYPE•••
•Use & Trust ø Cancellation!•
Old 01-04-2013, 11:35 AM

PT does take over the the 192, no way around that

I would recommend using a monitor controller with input summing, that way PT out of the 192 and whatever you have coming out of the RME can both be heard at the same time

"Fly High Freeee click psst tic tic tic click Bird Yeah!" - dave911

Thank you,

Craig