Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > macOS

Old 10-17-2014, 09:50 AM

Default Distorted vocals

Hi, i've just upgraded from PT8LE to PT10, using MBox2 Pro with a Mac running 10.6.8

After recording vocals, I find they are sounding fuzzy and distorted although the levels are all fine, no clipping or anything. I therefore suspect the the signal was distorted even before it got to the recording stage.

Any help would be appreciated please, thanks.
Old 10-17-2014, 10:06 AM

Default Re: Distorted vocals

So the tracks were recorded elsewhere? If you did the recording, describe the entire chain(sometimes, folks new to recording make mistakes such as connecting an external preamp to the Mbox XLR input, or as crazy as renting an expensive mic, but singing into the wrong side of it yes, I've seen that too).

Sadly, once they are overdriven(maybe at the mic, or at the preamp), there's not a lot that can be done(but if someone has an idea, I'm keen to learn) Maybe you can turn this around by using the distortion and going for a unique sound like some of ZZTop's stuff, or Foghat, where the vocals are distorted? If the music just doesn't lend itself to that kind of "sound", your best bet may be to re-track vocals.

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave
Old 10-17-2014, 10:16 AM

Default Re: Distorted vocals

I recorded them myself. I'm not using an external preamp, just the Mbox 2 Pro with mic plugged into XLR. Everything was fine with the exact same rig-up yesterday when I still recorded on my PT8LE. However today i've upgraded to 10 and everything looks fine but after tracking some vocals I play them back to hear they're a bit fuzzy and distorted. I have a feeling it is something to do with I/O settings as I had to re-do them but just can't see what it could be. I will have to retrack but trying to see if anyone has an idea how I can fix this.