Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 10
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 12-30-2011, 11:42 AM

Default Where did "Low Latency Monitoring" go?

Please forgive my lack of understanding, I've just recently upgraded from version 7 with my 002r to V10.

1-I have two systems, my home system is using a new focusrite usb interface, and under options I see "Low Latency Monitoring".
2-My other system at work is using the old 02 rack and I don't see this option (low latency) that I have been accustomed to seeing for years. Instead I see Delay Compensation
I am guessing that this is because the hardware is different...

The real problem is that before upgrading to version 10 I could check low latency monitoring and life was good. Now life is very bad without that option, and I don't know how to set up the Delay Compensation that takes the place of Low Latency Monitoring... No matter how I adjust it - it is unusable at this point in terms of trying to track with a click or drums and stay in time...

My system at work is a little old but I should at the very least be able to track ONE track for like a voice over without to much latency - especially since this system worked great with tons of tracks and plugs active prior to version 10.

Its an older dual core 3.4 pentium, 64 bit window 7 OS, with 8 gigs of DDR pc4200.
Again, not the most smoking system... but it worked great prior to 10, and blows now.
Is this a settings thing or do I have to buy a new computer or new interface?
Old 12-30-2011, 01:33 PM

Default Re: Where did "Low Latency Monitoring" go?

First off, delay compensation and low latency monitoring are not the same thing. Delay compensation is for plugins or outboard gear that introduce latency in the mixing stage. Like the maxim plugin from avid can cause latency while mixing and make the track sound off. It has to do with the amount of samples of latency. Low latency is for tracking, which solves your problem of when you play a guitar that is plugged into your interface and you hear it right away. The problem I'm guessing your having is that without the low latency option when you play the guitar you don't hear it right away, you hear it a half second later. To fix that without the low latency option, go to setup and playback option, and in there you will see a box labeled H/W Buffer, in the drop down box you will see a number.....maybe 1024, or 512, click on the arrow in the box and when it drops open you will see a list of numbers, select 64, then click ok. that should fix your latency problem, and you can use plugins at the same time with that setting. I would suggest setting that back to 512 or 1024 or whatever you want when you are done tracking and you are mixing your material.
Old 12-30-2011, 05:53 PM

Default Re: Where did "Low Latency Monitoring" go?

I have an old 002r and just checked it on Windows7 with PT10 for you. Low Latency Monitoring works well here. Check to make sure you have the latest 002 drivers. Do not use ASIO4All. Don't have both interfaces connected at the same time.

Formerly hobotom

Pro Tools Ultimate 2024 HDX Hybrid
HD Omni and 192 I/Os
Windows 10
Intel Hexcore i7
All Samsung Pro SSDs
Ampex MM1200 2" 24 trk tape
Outboard: UREI, Eventide, Lexicon, Yamaha, TC Electronics, Orban, ART, EchoAudio, Dolby, Hughes, API, Neve, Audio Arts, BBE, Aphex, Berringer, MOTU, dbx, Allison, etc.
Plug-ins: Too many to talk about.

www.metrostudios.com